Author Topic: using last years Pink fur apple tatters for this years chitting  (Read 1048 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
sorry folks,I wanted to ask if it would be OK to use this past years PFA stock to chitt for the coming season.

we have only grown them from chitting stock last year,these were given to us by a neighbour and although we dont know there origin they were brilliant !!!!!!!!!

I just wasnt aware if you HAD to buy specially selected chitting PFA varieties or could I re use some of our tatters
in our hessian sacks as a few seem to be showing sprouts already,that said it took forever last year to get any chits  showing on the tatters we used and in the end I just buried them and all was well thank goodness.

cheers

Gazza

plainleaf

• Hectare
Re: using last years Pink fur apple tatters for this years chitting
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 18:20:59 »
you do not need chit at all so don't worry about it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 18:43:51 »
If the potatoes are OK, without a trace of rot, then you could do it for a couple of years. The two things to watch out for are rot - tubers are how blight survives from one year to the next - and viruses, which will eventually lead to diminishing crops.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 22:19:40 »
I know many people speak against it, but I have reused my own potatoes as seed for as many years as I've had an allotment - I think that's 13 years now. The important thing, as Robert says is to make sure you only reuse potatoes from plants which are not diseased. Doing things this way means I can grow my favourite potatoes every year (including pink fur apple) and I can buy one or two new varieties to try, without it costing a fortune.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal