Author Topic: Info on Pink Fir Apple Potatoes..  (Read 7333 times)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Re: Info on Pink Fir Apple Potatoes..
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 09:54:45 »
They sound really good... cant wait to try them..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 10:16:12 »
I grow a few of these every year. I think the flavour is fantastic although I have heard a few people say they dont like them.
The thing I like most about them is that they are like a really good new potato, but late on in the year.

Pete

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 17:28:42 »
My favourite potato, but folks aren't joking about being late.... October is the earliest you want to be taking them out, early November even better.... I always grow quite a few because as well as being delicious (they keep the taste in storage too) they store really well (indeed it's a pain getting them to chit).... there are other things you can grow, but I find Anya doesn't keep (it's a second early, why should it?) Ratte doesn't seem to yield as well for me, the obvious comparison is Congo... very similar in a lot of ways except it#'s a deep purplish-black....

I find decently sized PFA's bake perfectly well (and quite quickly) and they do roast, but give them a shake after parboiling..... never bother peeling them, life's too short... scrub them, cut out dirt if it's stuck in grooves around knobbly bits and let the kids help you harvest, they'll enjoy some of the mad shapes they'll find...

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 18:54:04 »
Thanks for that info Chrisx.... I am really looking forward to them..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 21:51:33 »
I love PFA as well. They've always grown well for me - and yes they do store very well. This year I've had some bacterial rot on them in one bed  :( and it turns them to mush. But where I found it on a potato, if I cut off the squidgy bit, the healthy section still kept very well - just dried over and healed a bit and still sitting happily. They are potatoes with the constitution of an ox. :)

They make slightly leathery chips, but still taste nice. And we had them as roast potatoes at Christmas and they were lovely. Now when we eat 'ordinary' potatoes they seem to taste of nothing.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 00:26:42 »
Gordon Ramsay uses them for mash. I have too and they do make excellent mashed potato.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 00:09:52 »
I've used them for rustic mash 9ie with the skin left on and just beaten up in the pan) but hesitated to recommend it simply cos it's an ugly looking mess.... tastes great though... THe only time I've had them go soft was when an early frost caught them (same problem dogs COngo which is if anythign even later....)... we had a bit of a debate about the roasties at Christmas.... I offered (and offered to prep) some PFA but my brother was dead-set on King Eds so he ended up buying some.....

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 14:31:49 »
Thanks Gazza... I cant wait to try them.. actually everything this year is going to be special as it is my first year on the lottie..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal