Produce > Under Glass

Growing Squash in the Greenhouse

<< < (2/3) > >>

Kerry:
yep, vertical. 6ft canes as uprights and then a few canes across the top to form a 'roof'. by 'scout' tradition i mean constructed from a just few canes but made solid and tied tight with his best scouting knots (he's a scout leader)so it does not come apart easily ;).

some of the courgettes and pumpkins are 'bush', so they won't climb, but i picked those with a 'trailing' habit which save space by growing upwards.

Derek:
Thanks for that information.

I grew tomatoes and peppers last year in the smaller unit this year I want to experiment with as many types of produce that I can reasonably fit in.

Derek

aquilegia:
Sorry to hijack your thread Derek...

How heavy do the plants get? ie - how strong do the supports need to be?

Derek:
Hi jack away

That was going to be my next question  ;D

Derek

Kerry:
supports?
i'm going to be trying melons for the first time this year. i don't know how heavy the whole plant gets, but i do see it's recommended that you need to support the ripening fruit else it will just snap the stem under its weight.
so it's a wait and see for me on that.

tomatoes-i grow cordons under glass - due to space - supported by a cane each. the cane is stuck right down into the large pots i grow in, then the top attached to some 'brackets' that fix to the frame of the aluminium, (can't think of their proper name, but catalogues like 2wests and harrod sell them) you can tie to these as they are made to support stuff. in that way the plant is effectively supported by the frame.

i'm growing chillis and peppers, but they don't generally get big enough for more that a small cane in the pot, but also this year i'm trying cape gooseberries under glass.

grew them outside last year, again, used a cane and tied them to this, so i shall be using the same method as for my indoor tomatoes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version