Produce > Under Glass

Growing Squash in the Greenhouse

(1/3) > >>

Derek:
Hi

This will be my first year growing produce directly into soil in the greenhouse.

I would like to get grow some squash plants...can they be grown up supports rather than letting them roam free?

I tried some butternut squash last year outside and they took over a good sized bed

Derek

Doris_Pinks:
Derek, for me they do really well outside, so why take up space in the greenhouse?? I would rather use it to grow tomatoes, chillies n other peppers and cucumbers rather than give it up to squash!
Try some melons  in the greenhouse or other veg that require a little extra heat!
Sorry to sound  :(  DP

Kerry:
OH made me a 'squash tunnel' type frame in the best scouting tradition last year! all my squashes grew well upwards. i grew 'spaghetti squash', 'blue ballet', 'becky' and 'jack be little'. also courgette 'di nice a fruit rond'.
this was outdoors though, not indoors.

Derek:
Thanks for the advice..Melons it is

Kerry..I am not sure if your 'Scout' contraption meant that your squash plants grew verticle?

Derek

wardy:
Squashes, like cucumbers, will climb if you give them some support and it saves a lot of space on the floor if you're a bit pushed for room.  It keeps the fruits off the floor and away from the slugs and rot as well.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version