Author Topic: 'fit' note  (Read 2916 times)

ACE

• Hectare
'fit' note
« on: December 21, 2011, 14:50:29 »
Mrs Ace fell and broke her ankle a few weeks ago. She went to renew her sick note today and was told this would be the last one she would get, as the next one would be a 'fit' note. This means if there is a job she can do at work that will not effect her ankle she will have to go back to work. Luckily he gave her 3 more weeks which should see her alright.

This is going to knock a few of the long term 'bad back'shirkers a bit and I am not against it. But those that are genuine are once again being penalised because of the few.

I have joined in the spirit of the governments view. That work is good for you and have deemed her fit to cook the dinner, do the ironing, washing, and general tidying up as my clothes have not moved off the bathroom floor for nearly a month now. I will get the daughter in law to run around with the hover and put the rubbish out for the dustmen.

Unfortunately I cannot help as I am on my xmas break.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: 'fit' note
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 14:58:13 »
Code: [Select]
Unfortunately I cannot help as I am on my xmas breakACE!.. :o
I'm sure you will at least help undo wrappers and empty few chockie boxes.. ;)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 15:40:42 »
Ace, Yer all heart aint yer.............love vinegar drawers ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 15:48:38 »
 :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 07:45:00 »
Best wishes to Mrs Ace (and tell HIM that not only are you on the sick but it is your break time)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 07:58:06 »
The issue seems to be these days that if you have a sick note you cannot work - even if you want to.  One of my team had a wee op on his nose - nothing much but because it was a full anasthetic he got a two week sick note.  He asked if he could come in to clear up some work and was told that he would have to have a "fit note" or wait until his sick note had expired.  We refused to let a man come into work even though he wanted to and was capable.
I bust my ribs last year and went to the docs who reached straight for the sick notes - I declined the offer and went back to work after two days off..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 12:09:19 »
The issue seems to be these days that if you have a sick note you cannot work - even if you want to.  One of my team had a wee op on his nose - nothing much but because it was a full anasthetic he got a two week sick note.  He asked if he could come in to clear up some work and was told that he would have to have a "fit note" or wait until his sick note had expired.  We refused to let a man come into work even though he wanted to and was capable.
I bust my ribs last year and went to the docs who reached straight for the sick notes - I declined the offer and went back to work after two days off..

Its because once you are signed off sick you are paid SSP - Statutory SickPay. Being a state benefit, this means if you work whilst being paid SSP you techniocally are committing benefit fraud. Ergo, until the doctor signs you fit to work, no company will participate in allowing you to perpetuate a technical fraud, because they can be prosecuted.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 12:12:08 »
Our employer does allow people into work . Their fit note can say they can do restricted duties but nothing that involves x and y. Works well.
Jackie

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 12:30:23 »
You're probably right Lincs - I must admit to not understanding SSP at all - never had much time off work.  I am not even sure what our employer does in regard to it..
I do know that they continue to pay us our full pay for seveal months (they did with a workmate of mine who eventually died) but can they claim some of that  back form the state?? - I guess they do if they can..

And good luck to Mrs Ace!!  Ankles can be a bugger to heal..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 12:31:21 »
Our employer does allow people into work . Their fit note can say they can do restricted duties but nothing that involves x and y. Works well.

Yes, but the doctor has the say. For example im only allowed to work if i dont work more than 16 hours a week, doctors orders. But then im not claiming SSP. You cant be 'fit' and claim SSP. The two are opposites.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 12:38:55 »
[quote author=lincsyokel2 link=topic=70539.msg719066#msg719066
Yes, but the doctor has the say. For example im only allowed to work if i dont work more than 16 hours a week, doctors orders. But then im not claiming SSP. You cant be 'fit' and claim SSP. The two are opposites.
[/quote]

Well, yes the doctor does have the say, as they have to assess your fitness to work and they have the medical knowledge and overview. As I say, this works well for allowing folk to return to work when they can contribute to their role without making themselves more poorly.
Jackie

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 12:48:27 »
Sorry to hear about your wife's ankle Ace.  

Now as the GP has deemed her unfit for work for three more weeks then it is up to you to cook the dinner, do the ironing, washing and general tidying up. Now that you have your new knee you could run around with the hoover and put the rubbish out for the dustmen as well.  If you do it well your wife might let you have those jobs for life.   ;D ;D
They would look good on your CV.   ;)

Because of arthritis, my husband does most of the cooking and housework as well as bringing in the wages.  My job is to sort out our finances, making sure the bills are paid and that there is enough money to go around.  I can't clean toilets or do any of those other awful jobs.  Think yourself lucky that you are not married to me!!   :D  

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 13:11:07 »
ACE, I'd suggest speaking to your GP as maybe your wife can explain if she doesn't feel fit (after the 3 weeks) Ankles are so painful when not right :(

Fit notes can still say someone is not fit to work as yet, the difference is they also give the option of restricted duties/earlier return (if and when applicable).

They aren't to force folk back who aren't ready, they are meant to be a genuine support.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 13:13:07 by Hector »
Jackie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal