Author Topic: Siting a Bird Box  (Read 2378 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Siting a Bird Box
« on: December 15, 2011, 10:54:04 »
I have long wanted one in the garden, since while we get plenty of birds coming into the garden for food and shelter, I am not sure how many actualy nest in the garden. So I would like to give them a helping hand in that department. I have though been put off by not not knowing where to put them and which way they should face. It seems different 'experts' have differing ideas on this. Shelter from hot sun, cold winds and prevailing weather seem to limit the options, as do the need to discourage predators etc.

In my garden i have a group of very tall pine trees at the end of the garden and it is on one of these i would put a nest box. The garden is orientated Northwest - Southeast with the house facing side of the trees looking south east. The prevailing winds cut across the garden at a right angle, but the garden is also open to the east so catch easterlies quite a bit too. On the plus side neighbour's trees (also pines) shelter our trees to an extent from the prevailing winds.

My other main concern would be branches or lack of near the nest box. The trees are pretty bare of branches to well above the height i can safely fix a bird box and i am concerned that this would be a problem for any fledglings. On the other hand what branches there are might give predators (such as squirrels or magpies) easier access to the nest.

Can any one help me out. I would really like one or more nest boxes but am very confused about putting one up.

Thanks

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Siting a Bird Box
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 11:16:42 »
I've read that it is pretty important to site the nesting boxes away from the feeding area.  Too close and it is impossible for a bird to defend its territory.  Apart from that, mine are just where there is a bit of shelter and cover for the box and the birds move in.  Even wrens, whom I've always thought as birds who ignore all things human, seem happy enough.  I think small birds fly immediately when they leave the nest so they shouldn't hop out and fall (though baby blackbirds do sometimes  :( )  

Someone will be along shortly who knows more but I wouldn't sweat it.  A lot of nests do fall to predators but the box itself gives some protection.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 11:48:45 »
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 12:55:42 »
Thanks for the link and info.

Just thought i would post a picture of the garden to give a better idea of what i want to do. Bird box would go on one of the trees shown. There are permanently planted beds below the trees and a feeded station by the hedge on the far left tree. Prevailing wind from left of picture. South behind camera.

Click the link (opens in Photobucket)

Hope this helps.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 14:14:32 »
All I know is that they should not be put in direct sunlight because the babbies cook
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 19:36:31 »
Depends on the bird you want to attract. Small birds won't fly far from cover, and you don't want a box sited where predators can gain access.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal