Author Topic: what is price of a turkey in the uk?  (Read 9801 times)

plainleaf

• Hectare
what is price of a turkey in the uk?
« on: December 17, 2011, 23:28:55 »
what is price of a turkey in the uk?
i am asking out curiosity being from usa

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: what is price of a turkey in the uk?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 23:39:53 »
A 5kg (that's 11lbs to you) oven-ready free-range bronze turkey from my local turkey farm is £50 delivered.  It's around the same price in M&S but without delivery.  How much down your way?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 00:04:11 »
How big?  Frozen, fresh or organic.  Plain, basted or stuffed.  Sliced, minced or whole.
The possibilities are nearly endless.

Supermarket Fresh medium sized 4.59 kg £4.14 per kilo.  I leave you to convert to $ and pounds and ounces.  If you want it to taste of anything then the free range direct from a farm is a better though more expensive option.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 00:57:08 »
My frozen "bronze" turkey weighing approx 11lbs cost £20.

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 02:32:57 »
frozen turkey 14 lbs/6.35kg is $0.59/£.35 per  lb or which is  about  $8.26/ £4.14  not counting tax. on sale before  thanksgiving prices go as low as $0.39 per lb  
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 02:47:20 by plainleaf »

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 07:55:21 »
 Quoted £45.00 for a small Turkey at the farm that we buy our meat from, but bought a frozen 'Bronze' 2.8kg for £10.00, Merry Christmas, don't eat to much, :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 12:05:37 »
£.35 per  lb ?

Are you sure this is not a loss leader price to entire you into the store.  The world price of animal feeds is almost identical.  I just do not think it is possible to produce turkey at this price.  I hate to think what they have been fed on.

One year I got a free frozen turkey when I spent £100.

When the Bird Flu stuck is was amazing that the price of chickens dropped like a stone the previous week.

Cheapest I have found is £3.04 per kg.  for a 7.9 kg frozen.  No tax here on most cold food.  But these are from Tesco and supposed to be half price but are almost exactly the same price as ASDA without the special offer.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 12:21:00 »
American meat farmers are far more cagey ('scuse the pun) about letting cameras or reporters near their factories than our farmers. Having seen some footage of US pork production, I think even our worst (legal) conditions are much better than a lot of American meat production - can't see why it would be any different for turkeys.

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 13:44:19 »
Digeroo probable so.
turkeys are not grown in cages.
if really one ready cheap
i could get a 10 lb bird for £3.00 cost being petrol and bird shot
we have wild turkeys in general area if know where to hunt for them

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 15:55:55 »
I think this footage shows how important animal welfare is - filmed in West Virginia.

http://youtu.be/4yfS9ZeJiY4

(Warning - contains footage of considerable animal cruelty)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 15:58:53 by OllieC »

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 17:22:40 »
How cruel is this?  Turkeys in tiny cages.  Well, except the third one, which was enjoying a temporary respite whilst posing for pictures.

Taken at the Federation of Poultry Clubs Championship Show earlier today.

At least they won't be killed and eaten for Christmas.  But I suppose the risk of being stomped on by an animal rights activism film crew is an ever-present one.  :(

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 18:18:20 »
Oh dear Ollie, I actually had to stop watching that part way through and I am pretty tough (I thought!).   :'(

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 19:09:02 »
We always buy from the farmer for our meat at either the farm shop or the farmers market, in the hope that we are paying for higher welfare standards and better quality. Taste is far superior. I'm happy to be frugal in other ways to enable us to afford to pay the premium, and eat lots of veggies and veggy meals too.

I haven't brought myself to watch the film Ollie.  As for the turkeys at the Poultry show, that is only for a day, and my experience of poultry show is  that the birds look quite happy and watch what's going on with interest.  (B*****y noisy places though ;D)

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 19:25:20 »
My turkey is being plucked as we speak !!  Friends have reared about 15 turkeys in their large garden and have sold them them off at a loss !  The cost of feeding them has far outweighed the prices they are charging them but they are happy knowing that they had a good life before ending up on a dinner plate.
They are going to raise geese next year, can't wait...........
Bring back Spotty Dog........

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 19:33:29 »
I haven't brought myself to watch the film Ollie.  As for the turkeys at the Poultry show, that is only for a day, and my experience of poultry show is  that the birds look quite happy and watch what's going on with interest.  (B*****y noisy places though ;D)

I wasn't being serious about the poultry show, although you do see one of two birds becoming distressed.

These faked-up films annoy me, though.  There's plenty to complain about intensive farming standards.  Stocking densities are too high, the birds are deprived of a natural environment, and (worst of all to my mind) they are bred to be monsters - either monstrous egg producers or monstrous growers.

Yet we have to pretend that "cruelty" means farmers and their employees spending their valuable time tormenting the creatures for entertainment.  The people on the films are never pursued and prosecuted.  Why?  Animal rights people are normally the most ferocious in wreaking vengeance on those they dislike, including deadly personal attacks.  You'd think that simple farmworkers would be, to coin a phrase, sitting ducks.  The scenes of torture are simply enacted by the activists themselves.  And it's unacceptable.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 19:51:14 »
There are instances of cruelty that are not faked. Like anything in life, some humans are not "wired up right" and think it droll to impose suffering.
Jackie

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 20:03:04 »
Gosh ! It's like the footage from Nazi concentration camps. Guys you're driving me closer to being vegetarian. What right do we have to kill ? And this is infinitely worse. We absolutely have no right to imprison living creatures and abuse them. (aka some kinds of farming).

Mel if you know that it is fabricated by animal rights activists can you explain?

If not perhaps we have to face up to our own inhumanity?

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 20:51:39 »
...Mel if you know that it is fabricated by animal rights activists can you explain?

If not perhaps we have to face up to our own inhumanity?

Probably not appropriate in "Recipes".  I'll post in "Watershed".

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 20:55:54 »
I could only watch a few seconds of the clip but the bit I saw was horrific.  

As a vegetarian, the thought of eating birds, animals and fish is, to me, quite alien.  

My husband, two sons and their families are all vegetarian too which makes family meals very easy.  If I have meat-eating visitors I cook vegetarian for them too, not in the hope of trying to convert them but because the smell of meat cooking would turn my stomach.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 21:54:26 »
could get back on subject without the animal treatment or vegetarian rants.
you don't want turkey in there natural environment.

wild turkeys  can be vicious nasty birds, they have been known to attack humans and other animals. don't believe me  type" turkey attack" into youtube

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal