Author Topic: tomato seeds started  (Read 9753 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: tomato seeds started
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2012, 05:08:05 »
Location but no photos.   :D ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2012, 05:23:13 »
It is so very hard to make sense of peoples planting times when there's no clue as to where in the world they are. Or have I missed something as usual? ???
I think Davy's somewhere up the NE coast of England and Plainleaf in Maryland in USA. No doubt they'll correct me if I'm wrong!! ;D

I actually find it fascinating seeing how people grow their stuff, so I'm hoping to see lots more photos, hints and tips!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:04:05 by grawrc »

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2012, 05:50:32 »
Aden Roller also my planting time and method have nothing to do with normal planting times in my area.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2012, 07:36:13 »
I am in the North East over looking the North Sea, possibly the coldest place in England. My location is in my profile
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2012, 07:53:34 »
following this thread with interest i see davyw1 you sowed your seeds in a seed tray but at what stage did you prick them out in to your pots shown and are they vending cups i have a unlimited supply  of plastic cups  working in a canteen

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2012, 08:49:10 »
I was reading this subject with great interest as am itching to get the tomatoes seeds planted,I haven't got heating or electric in the plastic g/h ,was thinking of polystyrene cup for insulation and I got hold off two polystyrene sheets to reflect light and also insulation,trying to decide about heating (candle  or hot water bottle) ;D I will try the Polly tunnel for my tom's outside ,has anyone stated there seeds for sprouts ect yet?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2012, 12:55:55 »
He's south of us, with a continental climate. Hot summers, cold winters.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2012, 15:26:39 »
following this thread with interest i see davyw1 you sowed your seeds in a seed tray but at what stage did you prick them out in to your pots shown and are they vending cups i have a unlimited supply  of plastic cups  working in a canteen

I suppose if you so seeds in something it becomes a seed tray, what i use most is the black plastic packing trays what you various items of food in.
Every one has their preferences some like modules, i dont as they take up to much room.
I prick out the seediling as soon as the seed leaf is strong enough to hold (never hold the stem if it breaks its dead, damage a seed leaf and the plant will grow on) i then dibble a hole into the pot and place the seedling in as deep as it will go without covering the seed leaf.

I use plastic cups for everything cut out two slits either side of the base with a stanley knife (not for drainage as i bottom water) to allow the compost to absorb water.

Hiope this helps

Davy

DAVY

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2012, 15:35:38 »
clay basket how about using plastic milk bottles as warming your poly greenhouse(filled with hot water)acting like a water bank

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2012, 19:17:45 »
Thats a good idea Brown Thumb I never thought of milk bottles , have you givin this a try?my OH thinks its to soon' and that am mad ;D he's the brawn and am the crazy one :D

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2012, 19:55:43 »
you can use what ever you want for cloches but wall o waters and similar work better then pretty much all other methods due to the minimum temp range they work at.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2012, 20:07:41 »
you can use what ever you want for cloches but wall o waters and similar work better then pretty much all other methods due to the minimum temp range they work at.

so enlighten me

DAVY

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2012, 20:14:32 »
no other cloche work to temperature as low as -10 C

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2012, 21:14:15 »
haven't used them for frost protection used one as a hot water bottle once went camping sleeping bag was freezing so put a water filled milk bottle to warm it up wont trust them to leave in sleeping bag over night  lol

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal