Author Topic: thefts of plot produce  (Read 2805 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
thefts of plot produce
« on: December 18, 2011, 23:10:22 »
Throughout summer I thought the odd cabbage was nicked here,  cauli nicked there,  calabrese occasionally but was not sure if i was going mad.  Went to the plot yesterday to find 5 brussels  sprout plants at 3 1/2 ft tall were stripped of sprouts from the ground to the top leaves.   Nothing else seems to have been touched just yet.

Our site has gate key access and the plants were at the back of my 100ft long plot.  My speculation is that another plotholder has walked round during daylight to identify potential produce then returned at night to harvest.  Nothing can be proved but I am annoyed not so much the fact they took some sprouts but have cleared 5 full plants of over 200 sprouts!  I just hope they don't clean me out before xmas >:(
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: thefts of plot produce
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 23:56:12 »
It is so frustrating when someone eats your crops.  I have in the past lost leeks and carrots.

I would suggest putting up a notice.  Please do not eat my sprouts.  Or the rest of the sprouts are reserved for me.  Or Keep your thieving mits of my sprouts.  Beware these sprouts have been fertilized with fresh urine.

Sometimes I think people think you are not using them so help themselves.

I think mine are going too but luckily only a few at a time.

I put a net over mine, it does not totally stop someone but in the dark it maybe difficult to deal with. 

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 08:08:17 »
Bad enough when someone from outside steals you stuff but when its another plotholder it is sickening. Scumbags
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 08:13:51 »
how about "smile for the camera".

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 09:33:31 »
Sadly we now have a big sign at the gate that says "Taking produce from someone else's garden without permission is stealing. Any person found doing this will be evicted from the site."
Occasionally my neighbour and I swap things and we say oh next time you come down, take a lettuce or something like that, and I always make sure that I tell the manager so that we have covered oursleves! It's frustrating to see things rotting on someone else's plot because they haven't harvested but I just have to steel my nerves and walk on by.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:18:25 »
We had an obsessive thief some years ago; everyone was quite certain who it was - they were going round claiming it was me, but fortunately weren't believed - but the Council took the line that we had to catch them red handed before they could take action. I could probably do it nowadays, but back then I couldn't get a battery operated CCTV camera.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 10:32:18 »
in the last Lotty we had things go missing like clearing a plot 10x15 of spuds over night over a locked 7ft high  gate and not one potato lost :owe all said it was a in side job the council said no any way things carried on going like several cauliflower heads in one night beds of carrots etc one year later  a plot holder was caught in someone  Else's polytunnel with a armful of produce and a bunch of canes laying together up against the fence ready for collection later he got his marching orders quickly then and to date nothing as gone missing

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 11:08:15 »
We have a serial tea leaf and it's pretty obvious to the rest of the plotholders who he is.

It is hard to understand when you can get stuff from others just by asking most of the time.

Everyone gives him a wide berth socially but he is convinced that he's got everyone fooled.

You feel embarassed for him as well as annoyed.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 11:16:43 »
I would love to catch these people in the act, fortunately I don't think we have had any veg thefts on our site, but I did catch a schoolboy twagging it off school just about to have a go at someones Strawberries, :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 11:26:11 »
Sorry to hear that KT it is despicable.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 12:08:54 »
if its another plotholder than that is the lowest of the low and they are to be pitied! Hope they not damaging your plot KT! I agree,a funny sign may make them think twice? can you harvest spme sprouts now for Christmas day,just in case?
R x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 12:12:16 »
Sorry to hear this :( Hope you still manage to have your own veg for Christmas.
Jackie

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 12:39:49 »
Sorry to here this kt, as Elvis said these people are the lowest of the low,I think in quite a few cases it is an inside job we have it happen on our site to, normally soft fruit is favorite however spuds and parsnips were disappearing this year to, ours is only a small site and is overlooked by houses its very sad.           

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 14:04:06 »
That's terrible behaviour, especially so as I'm sure if someone said. "My sprouts failed this year, does anyone have any spare?" would be met with a multitude of offers.

Mayve some sprigs of gorse bush planted amongst your sprouts would prick their conscience, failing that a nice barb wire "deterrent" six inches from the ground for the night raider.

Steve...:)
"The Nook"

Photo's copyright ©Steve Randles, however if you want one, please ask.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 15:09:30 »

Thankfully.  .  .  .  a new school has been built so the brats do not need to pass my allotment to get to and from school.   Thefts have rediuced to almost nil.

Luckily my wife is a chatterbox !   and is freindly with the lady in the council house that overlooks our end of the plots.   She has told her kids to watch the allotment. 

They have a small box of chocolates each this Yule for their troubles.   :D

Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal