Author Topic: Private Allotments  (Read 3329 times)

mugshot

• Irish Gifts
Private Allotments
« on: July 04, 2011, 18:50:03 »
As a keen gardener who until last year grew pretty much in their garden (I live in an apartment now) I was under the idea of getting an allotment to carry on my planting. This was until I came up with another idea..

My idea is to buy an acre of land or two and divide these up into allotments (standard size of 16 per acre) and rent them out. If I was to do this what would I need to supply and how much would be a reasonable charge?

Just wondering what others thoughts are on whether this is a worthwhile venture, not a business model as it doesnt generate massive income but a way of owning land and keeping it being used.

Love to hear your thoughts!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Private Allotments
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 19:31:02 »
I am on a private site.  This is our third summer.  We have a water supply and a communal shed.  You will need access and a place to park.  We are unable to park on the actual site and there is only vehicular access to the gate for brief periods just to unload.

Depending on the location of the site security might become an issue.  Official allotments in towns tend to have to have expensive mega fences.

Have you looked at the Landshare site?   

mugshot

• Irish Gifts
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 19:55:37 »
wooah didnt know about the landshare site :) do now though!

Ive always wondered why private allotments dont give up one allotment for a place to park cars...just a thought!

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 22:21:18 »
our site has plenty of parking spaces plus an composting area which no one uses as they do on their own plot

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 23:13:50 »
Welcome to A4A Mugshot... me and Deb P are on an urban private site... (est 1920) if you want to pm me I will give you as much info as I can...  :)

mugshot

• Irish Gifts
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 07:48:06 »
Thanks Saddad, Im just shooting to work so will PM you tonight :)

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 19:45:44 »
I am on a private site.  This is our third summer.  We have a water supply and a communal shed.  You will need access and a place to park.  We are unable to park on the actual site and there is only vehicular access to the gate for brief periods just to unload.

Just wondering how big your communal shed is and how it works in practice. I take it there are no individual sheds allowed.
Oh and how many plot holders use the shed.

Thanks
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 20:12:17 »
The shed is quite large.  Quite a few leave tools in it but some have disappeared.  I store canes in it.   Quite a few people have boxes.  One guy have a lovely seat/tool box which I rather envy. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal