Author Topic: HSL Catalogue  (Read 23621 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: HSL Catalogue
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2012, 17:01:33 »

Major Cookes Bean (Really wanted this one !!!)
Pea Robinson (same!)
Runner Bean Jerusalem

Hector,  glad you got yours and varieties you really wanted.  

I wondered about 'runner' bean Jerusalem - it is listed under runner beans, ie phaseolus coccineus, but the description says that it is a half-runner from the USA.  Now American half-runners are usually half-tall French beans, ph vulgaris, and not what we call a runner bean.  I wondered whether this one is a French bean after all.

There is a lot of confusion language-wise about the term 'runner bean' on either side of the pond.   :(

When you grow it, could you please see whether the seed leaves (cotyledons) stay at ground level (like genuine runnerbeans do) or whether they are an inch or so up the stem (which is a sign that this bean is a French bean)?  

Just curious ...  :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2012, 17:28:37 »
Read the HSL catalogue this morning again  ;D in particular the article on peas by Vicky Cooke on page 10.  She writes that the flowers on 'Holland Capucijners' are scented.  Scented flowers on an edible pea?

Has anybody grown this variety and how strong was the scent compared to sweet peas?

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2012, 11:44:42 »
So, I posted off my request on Tuesday, and guess what arrived this morning  ;D
I got 5 of my first choices: Asparagus Kale, Long White Trailing Marrow, Robinson Pea, Golden Grape Tomato and Mummy's Pea, and my second choice Baby Gazzi Tomato instead of Ryder's Midday Sun. My lucky dip was Aranyalma Tomato.
So if anyone out there is tempted to join, but is leaving it till later in the year so you don't miss out, go for it now, there's still time ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2012, 12:31:04 »
I know Vicki and I might well see her tonight, I'll ask her :D

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2012, 12:42:00 »
I know Vicki and I might well see her tonight, I'll ask her :D

thankyou CC  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2012, 19:12:37 »
I got my first choices too, the catalogue arrived and the order was on it;s way back a hour later..

They post me the catalogue and magazine but my seeds are sent to a cheery UK friend who posts them on..thank you again

Good growing folks

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2012, 05:03:13 »
Spoke to Vicki but she looked bemused and said that someone else had written that bit.... she couldn't recall a scented-flowered edible pea.... sorry....

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2012, 10:01:56 »
Thanks again for asking.  I haven't ever noticed a scented edible pea either.  Broad beans on the other hand can be exquisitely fragrant.  Maybe there was a 'mis-recollection' somewhere.  :)

Spoke to Vicki but she looked bemused and said that someone else had written that bit.... she couldn't recall a scented-flowered edible pea.... sorry....

Elsie, good to know for anybody who is still considering becoming a member of HSL for this year.  Nice choices.  :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:06:35 by galina »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal