Author Topic: When to manure / compost?  (Read 1386 times)

cripery

• Not So New ...
When to manure / compost?
« on: February 19, 2012, 19:21:19 »
Hi There,

A novice question I know....but is it time to add compost to my vegetable beds yet and how long do I have to wait to plant in them after it is added? Can I use mushroom compost or is manure better?

Many thanks
Cripery  ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 19:24:58 by cripery »

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: When to manure / compost?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 19:37:04 »
It depends on what you are planting in the respective bed and if it has been neglected in recent years. 
I only add manure to my spud beds when planting the puds.
I lightly manure my brassica bed the autumn before planting along with plenty of well rotted compost.
I top up the manure around rhubarb, raspberries and strawberries any time now.
I add manure to individual plants such as squash, courgettes when transplanting to their final growing position.
Well rotted compost is added to other beds as and when required.  A sprinkling or general fertiliser such as chicken manure will do well a week or two before planting on almost any bed.  Give brassicas a boost with the same fertiliser when they have plenty leaves about half way through their growing period.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cripery

• Not So New ...
Re: When to manure / compost?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 05:26:11 »
Thanks for the reply, I am going to do peas, beans and courgettes in the one bed and strawberries in the other. The beds were built new last year and filled with a mixture of top soil and mushroom compost so the soil should be fairly good I guess.... From your reply I guess I could just work in some manure / mushroom compost as I plant then?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal