Author Topic: Marsala Wine Pears & Creme Fraiche  (Read 2009 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Marsala Wine Pears & Creme Fraiche
« on: January 04, 2012, 17:18:48 »
1 pint (570 ml) Marsala wine ( I used dry instead of sweet )
 2 oz (50 g) caster sugar
 2 whole cinnamon sticks
 1 vanilla pod
 1 rounded dessertspoon arrowroot 
 1 500ml Creme Fraiche

Using a potato peeler thinly pare off the outer skin of the pears, but leave the stalks intact. Then slice off a thin little disc from each pear base so they can sit upright. Now lay the pears on their side in the casserole. Pour in the Marsala then sprinkle over the sugar and add the cinnamon sticks and vanilla pod.

I used a 4 pint casserole

Now bring everything up to simmering point, then cover the casserole and bake the pears on a low shelf in the oven for about 1½ hours. After that remove the casserole from the oven, turn the pears over on to their other side, then replace the lid and return them to the oven for a further 1½ hours.

When the pears are cooked, transfer them to a serving bowl to cool, leaving the liquid in the casserole. Then remove the cinnamon sticks and vanilla pod. Place the casserole over direct heat and then, in a cup, mix the arrowroot with a little cold water until you have a smooth paste. Add this to the casserole, whisking with a small whisk as you add it. Bring the syrup just up to simmering point, by which time it will have thickened slightly. Then remove from the heat and when the syrup is cool, spoon it over the pears, basting them well.

Now cover the pears with foil or clingfilm and place them in the fridge to chill thoroughly. Serve the pears sitting upright in individual dishes with the sauce spooned over and the creme fraiche.

I had about 200ml of sauce left over and made Jude some pancakes
with ice cream and the Masala sauce instead of maple syrup and she seemed to like em ok !!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy  !!!!!!!!

Gazza

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Re: Marsala Wine Pears & Creme Fraiche
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 11:32:45 »
Can you do this in a slow cooker? If so low or high temp do you think?

I do pears poached in spiced red wine to go with blue cheese as a starter, but this looks absolutely yummy.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 22:17:50 »
yes,the red wine version is tasty and I luv it sliced with ANY blue veined cheese in a filo pastry basket..you know ...where you mould the pastry over the back of a metal ramakin and make a little basket then lay the
pear and cheese slices within...sweet and savoury in one mouthful.

re the slow cooker,the name implies your answer.I would have it on a steady heat for at least 3 to 4 hours ,remembering that the pears are bloomin hard fruits to soften....and yes you would lose heat on inspecting them but at least after every hour you could check how the cooking process is going along.....I think a tad of experimentation on your part would be good and you can let us all know how you get on.

Gazza

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 08:45:00 »
This is also very good done with madeira or ruby port. Port is my favourite because it imparts a lovely rich, deep red colour to the pears.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 09:24:11 »
Gazza....At what oven temp do you cook the pears?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 11:02:37 »
130 degrees in my fan oven for 2 x 1 1/2 hours.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 16:07:38 »
Thanks - I'll give it a go.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal