Author Topic: how hard it is to get a alloment in bristol  (Read 2922 times)

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
how hard it is to get a alloment in bristol
« on: February 24, 2005, 20:45:46 »
i live right at the back of some allotments in Bristol no more room in my garden it is all taken up buy pond nearly. thought i would have a go at growing some veg rang the council for a lottie cant believe the waiting list i am number 27 on one and 7 on the other waiting list it is so hard to wait when u really wont one have been told will be lucky if i can have one buy next spring has any body else have to wait along time and if so hang long

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: how hard it is to get a alloment in bristol
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 21:06:03 »
I think that Sly-fox Mal is in Bristol.  May be worth sending him a personal message to ask??
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 21:22:32 »
i have a friend in edinburgh who works on an allotment for which the waiting list is seven years!
and when i tried getting a lottie in my previous london borough, i faced a wait of over two years.

where demand is high, unfortunately you will have to wait your turn. :(
svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 11:12:31 »
I'd tend not to take their word for it and go out and look to make sure unused plots are being allocated properly.  I had this situation and was told there were none available.  I had checked beforehand and there were literally dozens of em, many of them just with pigeons being kept on them.  I reported back to the council who told me pigeons weren't allowed!  Folk had been keeping pigeons on them for donkeys years so it just shows how much interest the council had.  As long as the council gets the rent they don't know what's actually being done with the plot.  It could be 6' high in weeds but if so it's against the terms of the agreement and they can be thrown off.  So the message is go out and report any not being cultivated and chivvy the council up.  Maybe I;m being unfair and there are active allotment associations there doing a good job but it would pay to check for yourself.  Good hunting  :)

I came, I saw, I composted

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 14:34:53 »
thanks wardy i might just do that might be worth a try but both the allotments i am trying for are ran by landlords and are lock up so they would be hard to get into but worth a try waiting outside to ask people if there are any plots not being used properly thanks wardy

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 22:17:39 »
I'd go down and check at the sites too - certainly my local council is "not very up-to-date" on current lettings;  you might also be lucky and hear of what's coming up - there was a couple on our set which fell free this month.

All best - Gavin

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 11:10:20 »
I'd second that, we have one half plot but want another so a couple of friendly emails and our council man is looking into the abandoned plot just down from us to see whats being done (or not) with it....fingers crossed....

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 14:26:04 »
Good luck dibber!
There have been several members fo this forum who have waited and waited for their plots. And here they have received support through those long months. And then we have all been jubilant when they finally got their beloved plots!
So let us know how you get on...
sarah

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 12:34:24 »
thanks for all your replies and help . BUT when u can look out your window every day an d see lovely lottie plots calling u it gets very frustrating. i have been to both lotties over the last couple of days but not many peeps about to ask with both the lotties being lock up it is very hard to get  into them and have seen any one around to ask but i will just keep trying at least i can read up on my veggie knowledge and start collecting garden equipment and even packet of seeds well i will keep u all informed i how i get on

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 22:59:00 »
Hi Dibber,
just seen your post, have a word around there may be privit lottie site local, I am on one lot quicker to get on everybody thinks council ?
Talk to local lottie holders or find out where they hold their local meetings normaly in a pub and go along to chat. Sometimes the backdoor methord works quicker even if you get half a lottie to start with.
Good luck

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal