Author Topic: Dyson  (Read 4033 times)

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
Dyson
« on: December 01, 2011, 09:01:16 »
Some of you were interested when I spoke about Dyson on another thread, well here is his story.
Back in June (whilst I was away) my neighbour spotted this cat making a getaway from my house, most night after that it appeared after dark & hoovered up all the food put down for my 2 cats,so I called it Dyson, it was never seen during daylight, no one in the village owned it or had seen it.  As the evenings got darker it still came in at dusk & a couple of times stayed for a sleep & breakfast. Then 3 weeks ago it arrived in the middle of a wet afternoon & stayed only going outside when it had to. He had obviously decided I was a soft touch & soon demanded that I pet him. He followed me everywhere like a dog. He is a big all male cat & my 2 were not impressed, by Monday Paddington's face was a mass of livid scratches & both of them were so upset by his presence that I had to make the decision to take him to the local CPL for them to re-home him, I must admit to feeling so guilty about it I was in tears on the way home.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Dyson
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:54:39 »
It's not easy is it but well done for trying.

We have a stray which I'd seen around for a couple of months before I found her sleeping in an outhouse during a cold snap in september and realised she was in a sorry state.  I started feeding her and she started following me round the garden when I was out there.  friendly and curious but not cuddly.

Two weeks ago I managed to get her to the vets for neutering and she hasn't been outside since nor shown any inclination to do so.  Very happy in the spare bedroom with warmth and comfort and regular meals and she likes to pad along to my daughter's room for company and suckles her clothes.

However, we already have a cat who is a gentle giant and I think she's frightened of his size.   Every time she sees him her back goes up, the tail goes out and the singing starts.   We've managed to keep them apart except for one tussle so far but last night I was just carrying her along the corridor to her room for the night and she saw him coming and dug all her claws into my hand and started the whole howling routine. 

Today my hand is sore and swollen.   I hope she gets over it as there is nothing so effective as the CPL here and the nearest refuge is a sorry place.  We have a Feliway diffuser but it's not working well so far.
Obxx - Vendée France

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:23:03 »
I also found the diffuser useless. Dyson was twice the size of my 2 & probably only 3 or 4 years whereas mine are 8 years old.
Please get your hand checked out tomorrow if it is no better, they take such injuries very seriously, I was bitten by one a few years ago & when I phoned for an appointment at the surgery got the usual no appointments today phone again tomorrow but as soon as I said it was a cat bite I had to be there in 5 minutes, & was given some VERY strong anti-ballistics!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 14:47:28 »
Unfortunately I'm allergic to penicillin so have to be careful with antibiotics but if my hand is no better I will go and see the doctor.  I have to see her husband, the vet, tomorrow too for the new cat's jabs.

She is estimated to be 4 or 5 years old and has had kittens and had polycystic ovaries.  She's used to people, though wary, so has probably been abandoned and is used to looking after herself and probably has had trouble with cats defending their territory.   She's also very fit now she's getting proper food.   Our cat is bigger and hairier and 14 yrs old and has only 3 legs after a traffic accident so fighting is to be avoided.  His tail at rest is bigger than hers puffed out so I expect she finds him scary but he isn't aggressive at all and has always lived happily with other cats till we lost the last one a couple of years ago.   

This might take a while.

Obxx - Vendée France

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 10:25:18 »
Sorry you both are having problems with the Feliway diffuser. I have six indoor cats and find that it does take the edge off things. When it runs out we notice a difference. Lots of cat rescue's I know use them and the felifriend spray when handling ferals/nervous cats. Cats respond the smells and another good way of getting them used to each other is to mix their scents. You can rub the blanket cat A has been sleeping on on to the fur and face area of cat B then do the same with cat B's blanket to cat A. I know it sounds crazy but it does help. Another way is making them both smell the same using a bit of Johnsons baby powder on each cats fur. Again sounds crazy but it is known to work. With cats getting on its really time and patience and as long as both of them have a safe place to flee to when things get a bit heated they will come round eventually. We have taken on a rescue British Shorthair that has lived in an outside run at the rescue for 9 months. She was terrified of men but is now bonding with my husband, she is fine with four of my cats but the fifth and her have the occasional howling fit(we are working on it). Its taken her three months to trust my husband and now she loves rolling on her back for him to tiggle her belly. With cats its love, trust and time. You will get there in the end.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 11:43:35 »
I hope so.  We're about to move the new cat into my daughter's room so she can have company at night and when Possum is studying and maybe learn to relax a bit more.    She'll get the run of upstairs when our cat is out or downstairs with us and will then, I hope, learn to relax when we're all downstairs.

We'll continue with the Feliway too and I'll try and get some spray for when they meet face to face.   
Obxx - Vendée France

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 16:52:30 »
How is your hand today?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 17:02:59 »
Much better thanks.  Punctured but almost no swelling left and no longer painful.

I'll live to fight another day.

Pusscat is very happy in her new lodgings.   She gets to explore the attic this weekend.  We have things to soirt out and she has meeces to catch.  They move in from the fields for the winter.  I don't know how they get there as in theory we've had our external walls repaired and repointed but they manage it every year.
Obxx - Vendée France

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 17:11:19 »
I've got two cats, which don't get on that well with each other. One (neutered girl) is quite dominant, and loves people but isn't too keen on other cats. The other (also neutered girl), though much larger (5.6 kg!!) is very nervous and anxious, but unfortunately with an over developed sense of humour (She pulls the other cat's tail, jumps out at her from behind doors etc until dominant cat has finally had enough) . They've been squabbling more than usual recently, and nervous cat became very anxious, and unhappy and started over grooming on her leg and back, chewing on the end of her tail, crying at all hours, scratching the carpet a LOT (they do have a scratching post) and constantly demanding treats. Feliway helped some, but I've started feeding Royal Canin Calm, and also giving them Zylkene, (a supplement) both as recommended by my vet. She's only been on it for a few days, but already the difference is amazing. She's a lot less anxious, the scratching has stopped, the over grooming has almost stopped, and they are getting on much better. (I don't think they will ever be best friends, but at least I'm no longer living in a war zone!). Both of these should be available from your vet, although I've found zylkene cheaper on the internet (neither need a prescription). I hope this helps, and good luck!

KittyKatt

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 11:19:51 »
Thanks.  I'll ask about those when we go for her jabs.  Didn't get there on Friday - too busy - but need to go soon in case she ever decides she wants to go outside again.   
Obxx - Vendée France

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 13:17:12 »
Here is Dyson,s adoption page with his photo http://www.cats.org.uk/haslemere/adopt-a-cat/?cid=18596

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 13:46:14 »
He's a lovely chunky looking boy.  I hope he finds a good home soon and that yours are none the worse for his stay with you.
Obxx - Vendée France

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 09:46:51 »
Glad to hear your hand is getting better. I only have to mention the "D" word to my cats & they both still slink to their tummies & look fearfully around them, but apart from that they are getting back to normal. I also hope Dyson soon finds a new home he is such a loving cat.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal