Author Topic: Vera had to have a blood test  (Read 5997 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Vera had to have a blood test
« on: November 30, 2011, 13:44:08 »
I had to take my little Vera to the vet this morning.  I have been concerned about her because she is drinking a lot,  weeing a lot and always seems hungry.  She has never had an 'accident' in the house since she was a puppy but now sometimes she can't get to the door quick enough.  I've been putting it down to her age (14) but now with the increased drinking and hunger I am wondering if it could be diabetes.

The vet took a blood sample and will do tests for diabetes, liver and kidney function.  He's going to phone me later on to let me know.

[attachment=1]
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

pumkinlover

Re: Vera had to have a blood test
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 14:07:45 »
she is so cute Betty, sounds a lot like diabetes, but with treatment should be ok. Good luck. x Anne

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 18:03:58 »
Thanks Anne.

Not diabetes, but a problem with her liver not functioning properly and having a build-up of bile.  He gave her some tablets and I have to take her back in a month. 

I'm so pleased it's not diabetes because it would mean injections for the rest of her life and while she would not be at all bothered - I have never given an injection before and I wasn't looking forward to it. 

The vet didn't seem unduly worried and said that she should be ok with the tablets.  Hope so. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 18:35:00 »
Give her a cuddle from me :)
Hope the tablets help her.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 22:25:52 »
I hope that's it sorted Betty. She's a lovely wee dog.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 22:35:27 »
Haven't heard from Vera in a little while, sorry she had to go to the vets, but hope that she'll be fine.  Yes, she is a nice looking dog.  Even though she kills pigs ....... ???
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 22:37:31 by galina »

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 05:19:17 »
Thanks everyone.  :) I hope the tablets sort out the problem, she has to have another blood test in a month's time.

As for the pig killing...... Vera's behaviour has always been, what's the word............challenging!  She has always been the sweetest dog with humans, but soft toys had better watch out!

http://www.youtube.com/user/squash63?feature=mhee
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 12:49:04 »
How is Vera getting on now?

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 13:12:16 »
How is Vera getting on now?

She is still drinking and weeing a lot.  I took her back to the vet because I suspected she may have Cushings disease.  He did blood tests for this but they were negative. He has stopped the liver tablets.

He doesn't seem to be worried about her and said to take her back in two months.

Apart from the weeing and drinking she seems quite good for her age.  She sleeps a lot during the day but she is always willing to go for a walk and runs along in the park like a much younger dog. But I am still concerned that something is going on and we just haven't found out what it is.

Thanks for asking Galina.  :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 19:10:12 »
Update -
After yet another blood test the vet confirmed last week that Vera does have what I suspected - Cushings disease.  I asked for another blood test to be done to try to determine whether it is pituitary or adrenal based and this was done today.  I should get the result tomorrow.

Please keep fingers crossed that it is pituitary because 50% of adrenal turn out to be cancerous.

She is such a tough little dog.  Just sits there and doesn't move while needles are being stuck in her. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 19:40:06 »
Bless her, my Terrier would have riped the vets arm off :(
Seriously -animals can be such a worry. I hope it is the better of the two.
She is such a sweetie! (Mind you I have seen her other side of her on You-tube!)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 22:27:22 »
Fingers crossed x

keep us updated, please.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 06:43:45 »
Neither of the outcomes is good but lets hope that it is the less aggressive one
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 09:52:13 »
Sending good thoughts Betty, I never knew that dogs could get Cushings, thought it was a human disease. Let's hope she pulls through, 14 is already a ripe old age. She looks lovely in your pictures.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 10:27:27 »
Sorry to hear about your Vera's problems and hope it is not adrenal based.  Fingers crossed for good results.   

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 11:19:24 »
Thanks for your kind thoughts  :)

The vet phoned me this morning and said that the test she had yesterday did not show whether it was adrenal or pituitary.  I knew that the results are not always conclusive from the test but it was worth a try.

He wants to do ultra sound on the adrenal glands and has asked a more experienced vet in this condition to read the result.  Hopefully this will be early next week.

Antipodes - I'd never even heard of Cushings before, human or canine.  It is incurable, but can be controlled with medication.  Unless it is caused by cancer in the adrenal gland  and at Vera's age I'm not sure how successful treatment would be. 

I've joined a Canine Cushings group on the internet because I want to find out as much as I can about it.  I get the feeling that my vet hasn't really treated many dogs with it.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 11:36:50 »
Sorry you still don't know one way or another ..... frustrating.

Hug for you and please give Vera a pat.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal