Author Topic: HEDGEHOG HELP NEEDED ASAP  (Read 4787 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
HEDGEHOG HELP NEEDED ASAP
« on: November 30, 2011, 13:29:16 »
  This morning my husband found a hedgehog, In the garage underneath a carpet we needed for the wet weather.  Now what do we do, we have put an old cover down & put him/her on it & put it in a corner my husband is going to shred some paper to cover the H H with are we doing the right thing can anyone help with advice please  ASAP.
Thank you.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: HEDGEHOG HELP NEEDED ASAP
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 13:32:44 »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 13:36:14 »
I've looked after few hedgehogs myself in past..lucky you with the visitor.. ;D Take your carpet..and if you have something else to give for it to snooze instead that, it would be good.
If you have some fallen leaves handy..fill a compost bag with them..lay the bag on its side and put the hedgehog amongst the leaves..it will be fine.. ;)as long as the bag end is open..it gets ventilation and the leaves will provide insulation..it will be snugg as anything..and with open end..it will be able to get about if necessary.. ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 13:45:17 »
Oh..and add to that..shredded paper can get tangled in the spines..particularly if your shredder does it quite finely and it has any plastic got mixed in.
Otherwise..you could use straw in a box, and again, put the box on its side..pack it quite loosely so it can 'dig' itself in...they like to bury themselves into bedding so you really don't see much about them.
Old wooly jumper would do as well..I pinched one of my OH golf jumpers for the job.. :-X ;D..he wasn't too impressed at first.
Leaves are good...

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 15:49:15 »
If it wakes up feed it cat food which is rich and nutritious.   Make sur eit has some water too.   Do not give bread and milk as they can't digest it and end up with diarrhoea that can make them very ill if not kill them.

I'd have thought a cardboard or wooden box, on its side and filled with dry leaves and/or straw would be far better than a plastic compost bag which would be better placed underneath to keep out rising damp.
Obxx - Vendée France

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 17:30:24 »
When feeding cat food don't give fish ones, chopped peanuts go down very well too.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 17:59:35 »
Code: [Select]
I'd have thought a cardboard or wooden box, on its side and filled with dry leaves and/or straw would be far better than a plastic compost bag :) Yes..I would have thought that too..but last time I had hedgehogs under my care..I had just made cardboard boxes with straw and leaves filling for them to sleep in.. ::) And they always choose to return into my leaf bags that I had put aside for making leafmould..so after couple of attempts to trying to get them settle into more 'luxurious' surroundings..I left them to it...suppose they know better what is better... ;D
Yes..cat or dog food is good..but ideally loaf style tin food..and any jelly or gravy can give them runny bum.
Small complete cat or puppy biscuits are good too..peanut they looove..sunflower hearts..meal worms..all good high energy food.
If it is mild weather..even the ones with ideal hibernation weight can get up and have a look around if there is anything suitable to eat nearby.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 17:40:56 »
My grandsons ginger killer tom which is a wildlife terrorist has to share his cat food with the local hedgehog- who usually gets in first... It obviously pays to have spines... ;)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 00:18:46 »
How lovely Rosebud. My friend buys hedgehog food from Wilkinsons......they love it.

Enjoy your lodger while he's with you :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 09:52:36 »
I am not sure they are doing much sleeping at the moment, there are still signs of them around my lottie. 

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 12:37:52 »
A few days ago we had a hedgehog in the garden, under the bird feeders so probably eating dropped food;  it didn't look underweight and in mild spells in previous winters we had them in the garden.  I think he (or she) probably has a very cosy home under a nearby parked trailer.
We also have hedgehogs sharing food dishes with our cats - neither seems to mind the other!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal