Author Topic: New retirement age 67  (Read 11057 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
New retirement age 67
« on: November 29, 2011, 22:09:03 »
Just glad I don't fall in to this, but what about after you have paid your thirty years NI contributions when this starts in 2026 (long time off I know),  for some they will only be fortyseven and will mean another  twenty years of paying in to the bottomless pit of NI contributions for the, 'I want something for nowt' mob, ;)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 22:11:28 by Mr Smith »

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
Re: New retirement age 67
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 09:45:46 »
As someone in her early 40s this doesn't phase me, in fact I'm prepared for it go up to 70 by the time I get somewhere near.

My other half (same age as me) has already proclaimed he doesn't intend to ever give up work completely. As he, and I, are self employed, this is not as strange as it seems as it's a case of finding clients. The chap who came to service my woodburning stove earlier this year turned out to be 73 and still heaving large lumps of cast iron stove about.

'The bottomless pit of NI' - yes agree, more true with self-employed! But hey what can you do? Get it off your chest (here?) and get on with stuff.

I'll go and dig a hole now...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:47:39 »
I'd be happier if I could find work so that I could fret about the retirement age...  :-X

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 10:04:06 »
I guess it depends on what type of work you do; very high stress, very physical etc. I, for one, don't think I would make it that long in teaching. It is far too stressful. The kids are generally great, but the pressure, stress, red-tape and general b*** s*** is really not good. It won't get better either. I am already teaching about 25% larger classes and 25% more contact time than I did when I started in 2003.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:11:12 »
As someone in her early 40s this doesn't phase me, in fact I'm prepared for it go up to 70 by the time I get somewhere near.

My other half (same age as me) has already proclaimed he doesn't intend to ever give up work completely. As he, and I, are self employed, this is not as strange as it seems as it's a case of finding clients. The chap who came to service my woodburning stove earlier this year turned out to be 73 and still heaving large lumps of cast iron stove about.

'The bottomless pit of NI' - yes agree, more true with self-employed! But hey what can you do? Get it off your chest (here?) and get on with stuff.

I'll go and dig a hole now...
I'm twenty odd years in front of you. I think you will change in the next twenty years although I don't have a problem with people  who want to work past retirement age, what would B&Q ever do if it was not for the retired still doing their bit,  

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 10:24:48 »
I'm 51 and I'm sure it will be 70 by the time I get there ... must admit, I am a bit fazed by having another 20 years of working in front of me when many fellow citizens were able to take early retirement at my age.  Still not much you can do but look after yourself and hope you don't get sick or injured.  And save every penny you can, of course.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 10:35:41 »
Does this mean the idle bugger's who have never done a days work  can still draw dole till there 70???. >:(

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:44:15 »
I'm afraid we have to be rational and look at life expectancy as well as consider that NI contributions are not invested for your future pension but used to pay current day pensions of those already retired.  

People who are coming up to 60, 65 now were kids in an age when life expectancy was only 10 years or so after retiring.  Now it's more like 20 or 30 and that just can't be paid for with the current system so people have to work longer to balance the books and, to be honest, if you're fit and well would you want all that time on your hands with a low income?

I think they should consider phasing in retirement so people pass from a 5 day week to 4 and then 3.  This would mean more jobs available too.   Teachers and parents should be campaigning for more teachers, better facilities and smaller class sizes to make their jobs not only less stressful but more effective and have better outcomes for their students and thus better employment prospects for skilled jobs which would drive a healthier economy.   Nurses and midwives and hospital doctors also need to be more numerous to reduce stress and improve efficiency and patient care but, like state pesnions, that all has to come out of taxes, doesn't it?

Can't have it both ways.

Obxx - Vendée France

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 10:45:53 »
After an accident at work lead to my 23 year career turning into redundancy I have been rehabilitating as a Volunteer at our local hospital.
Yes im 51 too, and as a type 2 Diabolic I view future life through "uncertain" eyes,but when visiting fellow sufferers
in the wards who are in their 70,s and 80,s I smile inside.
Some of those same folks are also Long standing volunteers from the Ol Skool who still push and pull patients around the corridors,but are also members of the "Bank" who get paid as part time on call helpers.
They value life,and do not get disgruntled by the politics of lifes monetary woes,they just dig in and get on.
To them 67 was just a number along the way..!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 11:27:46 »
My OH worked until he was 75 and I worked until I was 65 and still worked part time and did dressmaking as out work when we had the children. We both liked to work and we were fortunate to be able to work.
We have never claimed any benefits and we still have to pay for our  specs and dental treatment.
So Froglegs I understand where you are coming from .It doesn't seem fair when others get more benefits when they haven't worked. I'm afraid that the system works that way.
Those who will have to work until they are 67 will be even more miffed
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 12:30:52 »
Does this mean the idle bugger's who have never done a days work  can still draw dole till there 70???. >:(
                     From what I heard on the news yesterday it means a 5.2% increase  in  payments for some of the population, and the rest have to settle for 1%,

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 14:14:19 »
Yeah some days your the dog ....some days your the tree...

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 21:32:08 »

love the quote.....

Unfortunately this will affect different people in different ways. As someone who works in a prison the very idea of having to work longer feels me with dread. We have to pass a fitness test every year as it is so this is just another worry...........
Bring back Spotty Dog........

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 21:34:10 »
I think I'm probably just the scoop!  :-[

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 21:50:35 »

love the quote.....

Unfortunately this will affect different people in different ways. As someone who works in a prison the very idea of having to work longer feels me with dread. We have to pass a fitness test every year as it is so this is just another worry...........
Since when have you had to pass a fitness test to work in a Prison ?, the POA would not put up with it,

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 22:11:47 »
This is such a difficult thing to find an answer to.

People who are getting to retirement age or are over retirement age often want to carry on working as they feel fit and still young and are not ready to stop working.

When you are young you look forward to not having to work and being able to pursue one's interests but when nearing retirement age you do not want to give up the routines and income so much.

However you could argue that everyone over 60 should be made to stop working so that the youngsters can have the jobs. But then they would have to work and pay a lot more tax for those jobs being freed up.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 23:07:17 »
I agree with a lot that has been said, but when I or you all think back to our mam dads, grand parents, we have all done differant types of work. Heavy labour , Steel works Miners Heavy industry  Everyones body is not the same, and I am not saying there should be one rule for you and one rule for me. When I started working in 1969 I payed into a pension, I could not afford it but my dad said you will need it when you finnish work. What I am saying is the people we put in charge of the country will still be drawing fat cat pensions when our grand children are dead and beriud look in the news , the papers where does it say they will not take the mass amount of money that is on offer if they lose there seat at the next elections. Sorry I have always been a Labour supporter right or wrong but that goes back to Mam and Dad  who worked hard at more than one job in the 1950 to pay rent and put food on the table and i dont mean meat and veg i mean any food because they new the bills came first My Dad died at 65 did not draw his pension my Mam worked till she was 65  sister in a old age home died of breast cancer did not draw her pension AND THAT IS WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO OUR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN
m j gravell

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 00:04:45 »
here in USA just because you reach the age you that can start to collect a pension has never meant you forced to retire. what make the young think just because some one retires what makes them think there will be job opening.  I the climate of cost cutting most office job will be cut or replaced by automation. Only job that require actual physical work will like survive. you can load truck with automated forklift and stack boxes on pallet current only if the box are same size and weight.
the real job of future will always be in new tech and creative building like they always have been.
take the coal mines closed by strikes in uk in 1980's if they were reopened to day mostly the miners would be in control room and the mines face would have robotic diggers. the need for people in the would only be to fix the equipment. a mine that had 700 miners in the 1980's would only 80-90
workers with current technology and the safety issues would be a lot less.

as for teacher or of English and math striking is bad idea since there so many engineers and  other people with need skills to teach those subjects.

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 09:18:39 »
The wifes grandad was forced to  retire at 40. Hes now 75 and been drawing a pension for 35 years - half his life! >:( Hes really perfectly able bodied too, so he could have easily carried on working in some other capacity... ..... Does that sound fair to you, 'cos it doesnt to me.     

People are living longer - its about time things changed.
If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 09:52:16 »

Whats it like to be the dog.  ;D
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal