Author Topic: Food sold in rusty cans  (Read 2405 times)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Food sold in rusty cans
« on: November 26, 2011, 23:34:48 »
Does anyone know whether it is legal to sell cannned food when the tins are rusty, bearing in mind the case of botulism poisoning many years ago?

plainleaf

• Hectare
Re: Food sold in rusty cans
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 23:38:18 »
try asking the uk goverment agency that governs food safety.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 06:22:24 »
try asking the uk goverment agency that governs food safety.

But not this wednesday though.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 11:09:31 »
Does anyone know whether it is legal to sell cannned food when the tins are rusty, bearing in mind the case of botulism poisoning many years ago?
I suspect that it's not actually illegal as such, though a quick phone to Trading Standards will clarify.  And just like you, I immediately thought of botulism.  Of course surface rust isn't a real problem, it's only if the rust penetrates the tin.

Are you bothered about getting a refund, or is it a concern that potentially dangerous tins are being sold?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 11:29:53 »
or is it a concern that potentially dangerous tins are being sold?

I think that should read potentially dangerous tins are being bought.

If people want to chance it, up to them, they are not being forced to buy

We had a boat salvaged down this way and they sold off all the tinned stuff in an auction, salt water made the tins rust but no problems with the contents, apart from no labels, I had to check that there was not a dog on board before I ate my tinned steak. My mate paid a fortune for peas which he swore contained tinned peaches as he caught a glimpes of the 'pe' in the washed off labels.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 16:13:10 »
[I suspect that it's not actually illegal as such, though a quick phone to Trading Standards will clarify.  And just like you, I immediately thought of botulism.  Of course surface rust isn't a real problem, it's only if the rust penetrates the tin.
Are you bothered about getting a refund, or is it a concern that potentially dangerous tins are being sold?

The surface rust could cause a problem when opening the can as it could drop in.  I didn't buy any at the first stop but went to a large, well know chain and theirs were the same.  Had to search through the whole stock on the shelves to ensure I got one without a bit of rust on.  Wonder if the canning materials in some parts of the world is a bit less stringent than ours.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal