Author Topic: FIRST FROST  (Read 1692 times)

rugbypost

• Hectare
FIRST FROST
« on: November 23, 2011, 20:46:48 »
We had a heavy cover of frost last night hope the weather in Wales is not going to be   another bad one. Have stocked up on road salt O/H will strip us all off by the back door again this year (HA) Swedes and sprouts should be tasty for  sunday lunch ;D
m j gravell

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: FIRST FROST
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 20:53:20 »
We had our second light frost at the lottie but it was foggy this morning so the garden escaped again.  I do not think it was enough to affect the sprouts or the parsnips though both have been very tasty already.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 10:54:21 »
My garlic is getting tall so it could do with a frost but I have strawberries ripening.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 11:30:56 »
Not really frost but it was the coldest morning yet. I popped down to recover my compost box from the kitchen that I had left down there, and it was pretty cold. I popped off a couple of handfuls of sprouts, there are loads of them! I know what we will have for Sunday lunch!!! Hopefully the cold will have un-bittered them a little. The other plants are starting to falter, like the  marigolds and the nasturtiums.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 08:47:47 »
Not quite last night, local minimum 2.6deg C (Crondall weather) Will set things in motion.....
Talk is of an El Nino period. Could it be a long, hard winter? Any evidence?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 12:03:03 »
A recorded temperature of 2.6C is cold enough for a ground frost. 

It was cold here last night, I woke about 2:30am and it was worryingly cold.  I nipped out and covered some strawberry plants I had just potted.  We were lucky: the mists rolled in and kept everything snug.  All the plants were dripping in condensation.

Winter of 1976/7 was cold after the toasting summer of 1976.  December 1976 rather cold.  Minimums of -9 to -12.
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/mohippo/pdf/q/c/dec1976.pdf

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 12:04:08 »
Goodness, just checked on the weather station and it was 2C last night here.  That's not what the weather forecast said.     :BangHead:

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 12:14:59 »
I am not surprised it was already less than 5C here by 2:30.  I did not fancy trying to grope round the allotment in the dark.

We had a frost in August a couple of years ago.   I heard about that one and managed to fleece my courgettes.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal