Author Topic: bitter brussel sprouts  (Read 1721 times)

diggerrick

• Quarter Acre
bitter brussel sprouts
« on: November 13, 2011, 17:59:17 »
hi, can anyone recommend a good variety of spouts as the ones i have this year taste a bit bitter, cant remember the variety i planted, i am assuming its the variety of spouts i have or have i done something wrong its my first time growing them. cheers rick
keep digging

pumkinlover

Re: bitter brussel sprouts
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 22:14:16 »
Wait till they have had a good frost, they will sweeten up then :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 00:43:35 »
We have been harvesting Maximus since 31 Aug and all tasted fine and no frost has been on them yet.  Still plenty left then it will be Wellington sprouts for Jan - April as a second crop
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 00:06:38 »
hi, can anyone recommend a good variety of spouts as the ones i have this year taste a bit bitter, cant remember the variety i planted, i am assuming its the variety of spouts i have or have i done something wrong its my first time growing them. cheers rick

Sprouts are supposed to have mustardy overtones - slightly hot more than bitter - it is what gives them that hint of nutty taste.

To me this is the essential difference that makes them sprouts - when it is there I choose sprouts over cabbage, when it isn't there they are pointless - they would just be a less convenient form of cabbage!

I've developed an aversion the seed catalogues because their threats of breeding a 'sweet' sprout for 'children' fill me with dismay.

If (as seems likely), the health benefits of sprouts come (sprout?) from the mustard oils in them - then this is a doubly idiotic thing for breeders to waste their time on...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal