Author Topic: Allotment Break ins  (Read 5431 times)

Fayzie

• Not So New ...
Allotment Break ins
« on: November 06, 2011, 21:08:43 »
In the past week the Donnington allotments in Telford have been broken in to twice.  They are coming in over the bowling green sheds at the rear using a ladder.  We are having a meeting within the coming week but we need ideas of what we can use to stop this happening again.

betula

• Hectare
Re: Allotment Break ins
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 21:13:46 »
Maybe lots of Barbed wire and sticky paint on top of those sheds ???

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 21:14:48 »
Any chance of applying that paint which doesn't dry.

Sympathies with your problems.

Fayzie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 21:17:52 »
There was talk of that paint but it would be the cost that is worrying the parish council!  Although we have planted fire thorn along the perimeter thinking that if they landed in that it might put them off - but they must have has a van as they were trying to dismantle new sheds.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 21:22:24 »
How much is it?

Could all the plot holders pay a  bit each towads it ??

Fayzie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 21:46:24 »
Hopefully we can come to some arrangement at the council meeting but as it is a new site I do not know how many will turn up!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 22:20:56 »
We got a grant, part from the council and we also paid part for a 8ft metal fence around the site perimeter.  We then paid £800 for a gate which is locked permanent.  It has a security padlock with keys that can only be cut by the council.  Breakins have been zero this past 18 months it has been up.  Fingers crossed.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Fayzie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 23:16:07 »
Must be the area we are in but we already have Prison type fencing all round the perimeter and a constantly locked gate which every plot holder has one key for, but these creeps managed to climb over an adjoining roof and slid over the top of the fence and down onto someones compost heap.  One of our plot holders financed the sticky paint himself and near gave himself a heart attach going up on the roof to paint it on.  We have also planted firethorn the whole length of the building so if they land on something it wont be soft a cushy now!!!

Fayzie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 22:59:41 »
Oh well so much for a quiet winter we thought we had every area covered but obviously not - Found my shed roof had been removed today and that they had stolen a screwdriver from my toolbox in order to open the hasps up on bigger sheds.  Would not mind so much as nothing else was taken but they have destroyed my shed!!  Really disheartened!

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 07:51:47 »
 That's c**p :'( :'( :'(
From your point of view if thefts are really bad in an area many people give up on locking the shed. Just keep non valuables in there and leave it open. Well if you have a shed left that is.
Hide old tools like forks under leaves, compost  etc somewhere on the plot and bring good stuff each visit, then take home.
Not good I agree- but the alternative is to get so disheartened that you feel like giving up the plot.
Until the problems are solved- they often go in phases and might get better in a view years when the idiots get into trouble for worse stuff, or the council takes security seriously.
good luck

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 21:41:21 »
One way to make sure something get doe is for each person who has something nicked to report it seperately to the police.... if their case book starts filling up they will do something about it...

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 21:45:37 »
One way to make sure something get doe is for each person who has something nicked to report it seperately to the police.... if their case book starts filling up they will do something about it...
i agree,but try getting them to do so,I couldnt  :(
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 16:23:43 »
No such luck on our allotments, no breakins again and I would kick the crap out of them, when we did get done over three years ago they just took off me two bottles of pop and a gas canister, little shits but now they have a new skate board in town and I'm off round with my Kango to put a few holes in it to get even,  ;D

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 16:39:02 »
Remember to mark every tool with the number of your plot in order that they can be returned to you if found dropped by the vandals.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 21:39:35 »
had the call from the secretary today,sheds been got at...

they didnt steal anything as ive already removed anything of much value just hand tools and seeds in there.two padlocks cut and gone but no other theft.

my shed security was breached last year,with a failed attempt a few months later,also many other sheds targeted on site,one set alight also.

we dont know where to go next with this problem as the police are not much intrested

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 23:14:41 »
The only way is to get a steel container, you can get 1/2 ones they cost about £400 though, if you all had a key you can store your tools in that over night

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal