Author Topic: Tetanus?  (Read 4022 times)

petengade

• Acre
Re: Tetanus?
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 14:57:29 »
Hope she is ok, when working on the buildings, went to hospital straight away if anybody trod on a nail, have been following reports on the floods in Thailand with teakdoor.com,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3vQwlz5os

Up the road a bit from Bangkok

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 15:15:37 »

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 22:33:56 »
Thank you for the Bangkok news. I am following   http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/505531-where-is-it-flooding/page__st__1250

Our family is within central Bangkok which for the time being is untouched.

She came back from the GP this afternoon with a triple vaccination: "polio tetanus and diphtheria injection" according to my son. Is this usual? I have only ever had single tetanus boosters myself, when travelling in Uganda, Oman and Thailand etc.

Anyway, I am relieved that she has been treated after all. And thank you to everyone who has posted here, which encouraged us to persist in getting her some protection.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 23:20:07 »
Patient.co.uk explains why it's given as a triple vaccine here:

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Tetanus-Immunisation.htm

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 13:44:59 »
That is very clear and precise - thank you very much. It looks as if we have to make sure she gets the recommended five doses for someone with no previous record of tetanus shots.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 11:17:28 »
Hope she is feeling better. Just to point out that I recently had my 10 year booster of DTP (Diptheria-tetanus-polio) - it is quite normal for her arm to feel very bruised and sore for a couple of days.  They hopefully cleaned out the wound too, they have special tools for that type of thing. It sounds like they are a bit complacent to tell you the truth, a puncture wound can get infected easily. Not really very pro...

I keep up to date on that one as I use a lot of manure and you are always fidning rubbish that somehow makes its way onto the plot! Fingers crossed, I've not trodden on anything but regularly get stabbed with various plant life.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 08:20:18 »
A couple of years back, whilst working in a wood, I managed to get a sloe thorn embedded in my knuckle.  My finger swelled and throbbed so hubby took me to A&E.  Their immediate reaction was to give me a tetanus jab and worry about the thorn later.  The thorn is still in my knuckle and I have a lump to prove it - the surgeon decided that the damage they might cause to the joint in fishing around to get a small splinter out would be much worse than just leaving nature to take it's course.

The advice the surgeon gave me was to always err on the side of caution and have any dirty injury checked out.  I have to be honest and say, as a working gardener, and allotmenteer, if I had every grotty injury checked out, I would spend most of my days in A&E.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 20:56:21 »
I've had a splinter in my thumb for ten years or so. It doesn't matter; people used to walk around for decades with bullets in them. But yes, we need to be careful of dirty wounds.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 19:44:59 »
I've been walking around with the same tenner in my pocket for years, I spent it the other day and its still hurting.   :P     ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

pumkinlover

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 19:56:06 »
I've been walking around with the same tenner in my pocket for years, I spent it the other day and its still hurting.   :P     ;)
You were lucky then, often they get withdrawn ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 21:13:06 »
I have a self tattoo on my right forefinger... I cut it on a paraffin heater about 20 years ago... didn't clean it out properly and it healed with the soot in the dermis...   :-[

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal