Author Topic: Hand held seed drills  (Read 19397 times)

petefj

• Half Acre
Hand held seed drills
« on: October 29, 2011, 11:19:40 »
Has anyone here had experience with such a tool?

My arthritis limits my movement, especially stooping and bending.

Peter
If you can keep your head, whilst those around you are losing theirs,
you obviously don't realise the full horror of your situation.

powerspade

• Hectare
Re: Hand held seed drills
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 12:07:52 »
I have problems bending to sow seeds. What I have done is make a aid by using a 36 inch lenght of  plastic overflow pipe (its about 3/4" in diameter) with a plastic christmas pudding container screwed to the top of the pipe to hold the seeds, I make out a drill with a piece of wood with a V shape cut at the sowing depth at the bottom to draw out the row, then I place my seed sower over the spot where I want to sow the seed and drop the seed down the pipe. Cover over the seeds with the back end of the rack and bob`s your uncle - job done.

petefj

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 10:37:45 »
After I posted the original item I scoured the Web and came up with this:

http://www.ferndale-lodge.co.uk/Shop/Plant+Propagation+and+Potting+on/Potting+On/Super+Seeder+578796.htm?utm_source=webgains&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=webgains

It's made by Wolff of Germany, and should be of good quality and efficient.  It comes with five different wheels for different sized seeds so it should cover most seeding eventualities. Especially as I find it's possible to buy the smaller seeds pelleted and thus suitable for this sort of use.

I thought that other posters here might find it of interest.  The total cost is £34.95 plus p+p.

Peter
If you can keep your head, whilst those around you are losing theirs,
you obviously don't realise the full horror of your situation.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 20:54:11 »
That  looks interesting I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it. I'm thinking of investing in one of those little seed sowers for small seeds as my hands can be a problem. Hope it will help to sow carrots etc thinly. But I'm getting off thread. The seed sower you've found looks like an old small holding driller and should last for years and do everyone on the site.Sounds like a good buy! ;)

DATA311

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 12:03:38 »
That looks like it could be useful, especially when you have problems with dexterity as I do.
Will look into some of those tools further.......?

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 12:56:24 »
Serendipidy.   or "So THAT'S what it is".

I found an item on my allotment after I'd spread a load of manure covered in muck.   I asked on various forums if anyone could identify it.  No replies were forthcoming.   It turns out to be a Ferndale Lodge Magic Seeder.   

Thanks Petefj,  I'll certainly give it a try.    :o    Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 23:28:55 »
Dont bother unless you like wasting your money. I bought one of these 2 years ago and after using it 3 times and the plastic handle snaped. Had a replacment and the main body split open. Its not made in Germany its made in Denmark and its cheap plastic rubbish not worth the postage let alone £34.00

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 07:08:58 »
Many years ago they showed on TV a system for putting carrots seeds into wallpaper paste and then putting in a plastic bag with a small hole in the corner and squirting down the row.

It is however very difficult to find paste without fungicides in it.    But a water based cornflour sauce mix works just as well.  Warm 1/2 pint of water, mix two dessert spoons of cornflour with a small quantity of cold water and add to warmed water stir over heat until it thickens, allow to cool.  Stir in seeds and put into plastic bag. 

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 21:06:28 »
Yes of course I'd forgotten that one ;D. Thanks for the reminder although I have lost most power in my right grip which is a pain [RA] in more places than one.

DATA311

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 19:28:53 »
Like the tip with the cornflower, me thinks I will give it a try.............thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal