Author Topic: Buxton  (Read 2504 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Buxton
« on: October 28, 2011, 20:07:50 »
In a moment of madness I have decided to drag the caravan go up to Buxton for a week, Catching an early ferry tomorrow morning. So I should be there for opening time.

What is the weather like up there in the frozen wastelands of the north?  Still very warm here, but I expect we will be leaving here in the Autumn and arriving there in the bleak midwinter.

I know all the bits I want to see but if anybody in the area knows of any folk music pubs where I can go and join in on the squeezebox, put the info on here and I can pick it up on my Raspberry phone if you have mobile coverage up there. 

If you see me on the road give me a wave, I'm not hard to spot, just look for a refugee from Dale Farm. ;)

pumkinlover

Re: Buxton
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 20:19:36 »
Are you going to Grin Low Ace?
We were there in June once and went for a lovely walk over the moors.
There was sleet, snow, hail and thick fog ;D ;D ;D
Everyone in Derbyshire says Buxton has a climate of its own.
Sorry cannot help with the folk unless you want to come over to Chesterfield, bit of a long way but theres a session on Thursdays :D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 20:27:06 »
Great part of the world to go to but I would  of picked a better to go with the caraven unless you and Mrs Ace like the great outdoors and getting wet (hope you don't get disappointed about the pubs  in Buxton), me and my lad have been twice this year but under canvas to Edale, :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 20:48:38 »
Are you going to Grin Low Ace?
We were there in June once and went for a lovely walk over the moors.
There was sleet, snow, hail and thick fog ;D ;D ;D
Everyone in Derbyshire says Buxton has a climate of its own.
Sorry cannot help with the folk unless you want to come over to Chesterfield, bit of a long way but theres a session on Thursdays :D

Well it's only 25 miles away, half hours drive. What's the name of the pub, if I cannot find anything closer I might give it a go. Yep Grin Low, but I have packed the mountain bikes so we can have a leisurly ride about. I ain't really worried about the weather. No such thing as the wrong weather, it's the wrong clothes that puts the mockers on things.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 20:58:01 »
Peacock on Chatsworth Road A619 . Right side if going into town. Get to Morrisons and you've gone too far!
Gets busy. We are not regulars but go sometimes. Let me know if are going as would make the effort :D :D :D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 21:26:03 »
Peacock on Chatsworth Road A619 . Right side if going into town. Get to Morrisons and you've gone too far!
Gets busy. We are not regulars but go sometimes. Let me know if are going as would make the effort :D :D :D

PM sent

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 21:39:25 »
http://belperfolkclub.tripod.com/

got PM sending one back :D

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 07:16:18 »
Just to update you that Mr and Mrs Ace are surviving the Derbyshire climate.
He's preety ACE on the old squeezebox too! ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 07:55:07 »
Hope it's not too wet up there... it's actually raining in Derby!  :-X

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 08:53:58 »
Sounds like 'squeezed' that southern dust off him and washed it down too.. ;D Nothing like good downpour to clean it all off.
 It would have been fun to see good music session..

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 17:44:23 »
Safe at last, back home on the sunny sarf coast. Quite an eyeopener up there in the mountains, some of them have even learnt to walk upright.  I now have a passion for Eccles cakes, never had a real one before, but you can keep your Bakewell puddings/tarts.

I have never walked so far in years, the loafers were redundant I had to get some proper walking boots just to get into town and the weather was always given as changeable by some tart on the telly who would have looked more in place behind a bar, or a bloke called Fred who I thought had died years ago.

We had a look at Chesterfield, but I think they had better do something with that church spire, the bloke must have been well rat @rsed when he built that. Met some nice people there though. ;)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 19:35:31 »
 I had a nice walk and climb over Kinder earlier this year bloody knackering, :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 19:58:15 »
Totally agree about Bakewell pudding, Eccles cakes are much nicer ;D
The Crooked Spire is supposed to straighten the first time a virgin gets married in there- still crooked :o :o :o
And before anyone even THINKS of asking I did not get married in it!!!!

Your squeeze box playing went down well ACE and it was nice to meet Mrs ACE :D :D :D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 20:00:14 by pumpkinlover »

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 20:19:07 »
Oooh were the eccles cakes fresh from the oven and still warm

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 20:33:48 »
Oooh were the eccles cakes fresh

Couldn't be fresher, some of the flys were still buzzing. ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal