Author Topic: How much do you spend on seeds per year?  (Read 11608 times)

green lily

• Hectare
Re: How much do you spend on seeds per year?
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2011, 21:02:41 »
I find it helps to have my seedbox beside me to check what I have that really needs replacing! ::) Lidls 27p nasturtiums are still going strong outside but I couldn't control their energetic cherry toms this year so not again.
One pumpkin plant and 6 ivy leaf geraniums from the same store,a few packets from the local garden centres annual 50% sell off and a posh fi parsnip to share with my daughter. Saved own peas, garlic,beans, pfas etc. Got to cut back now my income has halved and my back is knackered. But my plot is my playground and I've just picked raspberries for tea.... ;D  ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2011, 21:42:34 »
I'm just sorting my seeds.
Realistically I should say I need to spend nothing for the next five years.........
However ;D ;D ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2011, 23:56:15 »
I'm just sorting my seeds.
Realistically I should say I need to spend nothing for the next five years.........
However ;D ;D ;D

Seed Denial: works about as well as New Years Resolutions and Dieting.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2011, 09:04:42 »
Prompted by this thread I did a list of seeds yesterday sorted out into types (nerdy behaviour I know) to see what I've got.  I was getting excited as I didnt seem to have many legumes and salad things so was already planning to visit RealSeeds (new list out there). Sadly I then found another bag of seeds I had overlooked... and I have more than enough of legumes/salad things...so no buying.

I think I can justify buying broad beans, red cabbage and quinoa (the latter being my 'new' thing this year).

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2011, 09:40:37 »
Code: [Select]
also gives us something to talk about with other gardeners and a way to bore those who aren't. ;D..particular that last statement.. ;D
Even on lottie other gardeners eyes gloss over with boredom when I start talking about my seeds..very few seem to be in that 'denial' level of seedaholishm. Most of them are just basic  5-veg men and women.
I did manage to turn one lady to seed saving after giving her a sample pack of various seeds to grow last year.. ;D ;D
She didn't even know such variety of veg existed..and she only had 'taster pack'.. ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2011, 13:13:54 »
No problem Goodlife -just chat away on here. We love you for it ;D ;D ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2011, 13:26:37 »
Aww...thanks.. ;D

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2011, 16:12:41 »
mmmmmmmmm a bar of chocolate or a packet of seeds :-\   no contest     chocolate here i come    not ;D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2011, 18:51:36 »
Spent an HOUR in local market today riffling through the boxes of in date seed packets at 50p that an excellent man buys from seed companies who cannot be bothered to sort accidentally mixed up packets. He buys them at 40p.

Just about to send in orders for me and a friend to T&M half price because of their allotment offer. Found 33 packets of what we want!

Dare not add up what either of us spends every year, sorry......

boydzfish

• Half Acre
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2011, 12:20:33 »
I use Dobies generally and think I spent about that in my first year but have a chart which shows how long seeds are viable for and I spent less the second year and each one since. I suppose, if I averaged it out, it is around £50 per year. You can save beans you don't harvest from plants each year and it is satisfying to grow a subsequent crop in this way. It seems a small investment for the pleasure if you ask me. I haven't got my order in yet this year but have received my over wintering onions, garlic and shallots already.

Dobies do a selection of plug plants for around £30 if you want to go down that route - check out their web site for details.
Boydzfish

martinburo

• Half Acre
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2011, 19:21:50 »
Martin..what kind of things did you try to grow from their seed?
Acca sellowiana
Amelanchier canadensis
Atriplex halimus
Bunias orientalis
Turkish rocket
Camassia quamash

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2011, 19:45:45 »
I think I have my annual seed purchases down to £20-30 maximum.

Including spuds, onion sets, compost and rent for 2 plots I reckon my annual total is around £100.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2011, 13:58:22 »
Martin...
The list of 'things' that you mentioned...there is only one that is really 'not so straight forward' to germinate...Amelanchier.
Other you should not have problem with..I have grown few of those varieties from seed too.
Are you going to have another go at them again?
Check you PMs... ;)

Ruth Rocket

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2011, 19:23:38 »
Thanks folks for all the replies, I think I will put this order in and see how I go through the year, I have two problems really, one is I have no idea of how much I can grow on my plot during the year, I guess i will know this in about 8 months.  Also I like to have a few different types of everything, so I will probably not use most of the packets up completely .... Hopefully my neighbours will want to swap.  I think I will try and get some more seeds from Real Seeds as you can collect your own seed from their stuff too so maybe I will get into that a bit xxxxx

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2011, 07:47:32 »
Well, even if you get too many seeds..it is not necessary going to waste and you don't have use all them up at once..like its mentioned before..majority of seeds will store several years.. ;)
Many crops can be sown throughout the year in smaller patches as well. You'll be surprised how much you can grow..you could sow things in pots and as you pull one veg up and little space comes available, plant your earlier pot grown sowings on its place..constant cropping and planting.. ;)
Every now and then I do good clear out in my seedbox for those packets that are 'getting on' and coming to an end of their storage life..things like lettuce and herb seeds you I just empty all varieties in same bag and find spare bit of ground and just scatter all in...what comes is bonus and what don't..nothing lost. Usually I end up with big medley of stuff.. ;D..more than one can cope and what we don't eat can be dug in like a green manure....win, win.. ;)
What kind of veg are you interested of?..or you are thinking of buying?

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2011, 09:25:53 »
Thanks folks for all the replies, I think I will put this order in and see how I go through the year, I have two problems really, one is I have no idea of how much I can grow on my plot during the year, I guess i will know this in about 8 months.  Also I like to have a few different types of everything, so I will probably not use most of the packets up completely .... Hopefully my neighbours will want to swap.  I think I will try and get some more seeds from Real Seeds as you can collect your own seed from their stuff too so maybe I will get into that a bit xxxxx
If you are into having a few of many different types of things, make sure you have plenty of labels handy! I cannot tell you the number of times I've poked seed into the ground, as Helter-Skelter Goodlife suggested  ;D ;D,   thinking I'd surely without a doubt remember what was where, and a week later couldn't remember. ::)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2011, 10:09:24 »
Helter-Skelter Goodlife :o...and GrannyJanet calls me spunge brain.. ;)
What next.. ::)...well..there is Finnish saying.."loved child has many names"... ;)
Thanks..Grannies.. ;D :-*

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2011, 10:17:18 »
...and GrannyJanet calls me spunge brain
[/quote]Surely because your brain likes to soak up knowledge. I'd take that one as a compliment.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2011, 11:02:05 »
Well, all in all, everyone hates to admit to their spending!!!
My plot = 72 euros a year in rent.
Manure = 18 euros once a year and some free stable waste when I have time to go fill a few bags.
Potatoes and onion sets, last year I think it cost about 35 euros. I cannot seem to grow onions from seed, but that is my total year's onion consumption so think it's not too bad an investment. (that is shallots and reds too).
Seeds = between Lidl for some common things such as lettuce which I barely manage to grow anyway, and internet buying like Alan Romans, Vegseeds etc, I think about 30 euros for seeds. But I have saved some this year, mainly tomatoes and beans and swapped some too!! I will need to stock up on most things next year as this year I used all my excess stock and the seed box is a poor speciment just now. I never buy seed in stores here anymore - at least 1.99 euros a packet, whereas on the Net I can get things starting at about 40p a packet, even taking postage into account.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Ruth Rocket

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2011, 14:22:17 »
GrannieAnnie, I know what you mean, I must buy some labels, as my seedling recognition is not as good as I thought it would be!  Memory is shot to pieces!

Goodlife I am not sure what I am hoping to grow yet, I am going to have a year of trying the easier things I think, I love beans and hope to try a few varieties not found in the supermarket.  I would love some courgette as I love them with the flowers on, squashes too, the smaller types.  Also I am spurred on by my failures with potatoes and carrots, I want to get them right next year.  Also peppers and chillies I want to have a bash at.  The. Other thing is any salad leaves and herbs.  ..... I think that will keep me busy!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal