Author Topic: How much do you spend on seeds per year?  (Read 11571 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: How much do you spend on seeds per year?
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 10:21:53 »
I'm experimenting with keeping my own this year so, hopefully not much  :)

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 11:05:33 »
I seem to spend a lot on this seed called postage and packaging.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 11:52:08 »

I shouldn't save seed if it is from an F1 veg'     I've just got my £20:00 voucher's worth of seeds through the post.       Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 12:26:25 »
I tend to use the T&M £5 vouchers that always seem to turn up in Spring along with their half-price sale, apart from that I get the rest from the garden centre to save on P&P. All in all I think about £20 a year.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 13:04:20 »
Well...the rule ' not to save from F1 seeds' is not always right.
I've saved manytimes..just to see what comes out..and usually I end up with perfectly good veg..it might not be quite exact like the 'parents'..but who cares. For example..I saved seeds from one tomato variety other year...and couple of generations after..the resulting fruit is actually better tasting than the original boring woolly thing that looks like tomato..now I'm hoping to stabilize the 'new' variety.. ;D

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 13:50:59 »
Code: [Select]
But I don't consider this excessive as it's my hobby and exercise and relaxation as well as food
Spot on!..my thoughts put on one line. ;) ;D.

Yes, I agree too. If you factor in savings on buying veg, as well as regarding what you do as a hobby, (my OH has weekly figure-skating lessons) I am sure you could spend more and feel justified if you want to!!

Also, like Goodlife, I never buy any gardening magazines ever (or other magazines). They are so expensive. I use the internet like a magazine instead.

Getting into seed is also great if you grow your flowering plants as well. I used to spend about £50 twice a year stocking my containers and on half-hardies/winter bedding for the borders. Now, I grow almost all the temporary stuff from seed, which is far cheaper, and you get a more interesting range. I raised a lot of my perennials and grasses in the borders from seed as well. Going back to veg, onions from seed are satisfying and much cheaper than sets.

Another economy, if you grow/raise a lot in containers, is re-using the compost.  You just re-vitalise it with more fertilizer, and I usually add some sieved home-made compost.

So all in all, what I am saying in a rambling way, is that spending money on seed is necessary and justifiable, especially at first - and you can off-set it with other economies.

pumkinlover

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 14:05:56 »
I agree with all above have said (even the ones which contradicted another post ;) )

My only message to Ruth Rocket if you are a new gardener is not to go tooooooo mad! :D It's tempting -but sometimes best (esp. if you have taken over an unkempt allotment) to concentrate on growing less varieties.
If you end up with loads of seedlings to tend and water it can be hard work to keep on top of it all, esp. if you are still trying to get to grips with the weeding (and who isn't :( )
So take it slowly and do what you are doing well and you get a lot more enjoyment and productivity in the long run.
(Sorry if sound like a  kiljoy)    

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 14:12:51 »
As vices go, seed buying is fairly innocuous. That's my view and I'm sticking to it.

So true!

I spent lots in my 1st 2 years, trying different things out, now becasue of the seed swaps and saving, the amount is drastically reduced. Mind you I'm sure I'll be treating myself to some new bits and bobs this winter  :D

pumkinlover

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 14:52:37 »
Off thread :-[ but how did the seed swop go?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 14:55:04 »
Excellent advice Pumpkinlover!

I should also perhaps add that my £20 a month includes absolutely everything - not just seeds: fertilisers, water butts, paint for the shed and fences, etc etc.

Just added up the cost of the homegrown fruit and veg we'd get through in a month if it came from Tesco - I stopped when I got to £24!! So a bit of a saving there then!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 18:33:04 »
Code: [Select]
But I don't consider this excessive as it's my hobby and exercise and relaxation as well as food
Spot on!..my thoughts put on one line. ;) ;D.
Plus it is a form of continuing education and is better for the environment and improves the soil;
also gives us something to talk about with other gardeners and a way to bore those who aren't.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 18:57:10 »
I'm just making a "robust" soup for dinner. The only things not from my plot are chorizo, water, salt and pepper. The onions, garlic, potatoes, kale and veg stock are all from the allotment. For me that makes it all worthwhile. Priceless actually!

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 21:06:45 »
Personally, I dont spend a lot on seeds. Without getting the recepits out i'd say about £20 has kept my 300 sq mtr allotment in veg for the full year (and more..)  ;D

For instance, a packet of seeds costing a whopping 29 PENCE has provided me, friends and family with beetroot all year. Kale seeds 29p. radish seeds 29p. Seed potatoes a whole ONE POUND. Tommies, chillies, sweet peppers all less than a quid. In fact, i think the most expensive seeds i've bought this year were the F1 sweetcorn seeds, and i dont remember those breaking the bank.!! :)

What are people paying postage and packaging for? Arent we s'posed to be a frugal lot who beg steal and borrow everything?.... ???

Yes sirreeee. I'll be back down to my local ACHOOO...kinsons this coming spring....£20 in hand!!!... ;)

If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

Ruth Rocket

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2011, 00:02:42 »
Awesome!  Thanks for the advice here, all very interesting!  I will keep my seed in a fridge and find this wyvale 50p seed sale!
I imagine that i won't need so much next year either, but knowing me i should cut the order by 1/3 and i still will have too much!  My day job is a fashion buyer and I always buy ALOT!  lol!  Scared of a drought/famine!
Pumpkinlover, I think your advice is right, less is more!  I'm rubbish with too many seedlings :)

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2011, 00:10:16 »
about $50 = £31 which equal about 60 packs of seed a year but then again seed is a lot cheaper in USA

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 01:36:59 »
Dollar is slipping your $50 is now £32. ;D

You can get quite a lot in lidl for 29p.    Wyevale sales 1st Sept though a few years ago they were mid august.  I got some spring green and put them straight in a bit late two weeks later.

It is odd that if you raise a few seedlings you tend to nurture them but if there are loads in the packet you put in too many.  I often seem to sow too many carrots.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2011, 10:06:01 »
Of course we could grow tons of veg 'frugal' way..but many of us do like to 'play' with our seeds.. ;D Cabbage is not just cabbage any more..why to have green and round when you can have it in all shapes and colours.. ;D
It is that experimenting and 'playing' with your food that cost some money. And once you start 'playing'..there is no end.. ::)..world is full of weird and wonderful different kind of edibles...then you start wanting more and swapping with others take place..and the ball is rolling.. ;D It is like with any other 'collectibles'..you hear about it and search and search to get it..unfortunately it often involves parting with money..if the seeds are not pricey, the postage is... ::) Friends and family now ask me before they go abroad if there is anythig they should bring me while they are there.. :-X ;) ;D

martinburo

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2011, 13:29:23 »
This year I won't be buying any seed. Last year I only bought 5 packets of perennials from the Agroforestry Research Trust, but none of them grew, one of which because of my own fault. Their trees are doing great, though. I save a lot myself, am in 4 internet/postal swaps and organise one in Norwich as well (17 November).

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2011, 14:52:02 »
Growing perennials from seeds can be very hit and miss business. It is cheaper than buying plants but many times you may not get nothing from one packet of seeds. And some of them are very specific how they are handled and treated before they germinate.
I've bought some seeds from AFRT too..with varying results. I don't doubt their seeds...it is just the way perennials are..
One of resent purchases I did was Zhechuan pepper...the germination took months..and the seeds were germinating weeks and weeks apart. Eventually I ended up with 6 healthy little shrub 'starters'..now I just have to get them over their first winter alive and all should  be doddle after that.
Martin..what kind of things did you try to grow from their seed?

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2011, 20:03:14 »
Every yr. I try to restrict myself to one or two experimentals.

Now Martinsburo has mentioned success at growing grains which now requires me to buy unexpected new varieties.
And that's how it goes, folks!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal