Author Topic: Which pumpkins/squash would you grow again?  (Read 9194 times)

Monkey Brains

• Not So New ...
Re: Which pumpkins/squash would you grow again?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 06:31:24 »
I love Marina di Chioggia & grow that every year - it has a lovely chestnutty flavour.
Tromboncino Squash which is very tasty.
And butternuts - though mine all failed this year.
In fact, all my pumpkins & squashes struggled.

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 08:05:46 »
Uchiki Kuri seems to be very popular. I will be growing that. Honey bear is nice too and its not too much of a wanderer. I will of course be growing Harrier as it proved to be much better than Waltham this year
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 08:36:32 »
Uchi kuri, hooligan, potimarron are favourites here  :)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 22:32:33 »
My black futsu stayed tiny and I didn't like the flavour grilled. Bit of bitter aftertaste for us.

:-\ Thinking about it, I don't think they were actually futsu - they look just like buttercup squash 'emerald' and they were bush squash, which futsu aren't. So somehow something weird happened from swapped seed. There were also two small fuzzy vines which never managed to fruit, I think they might have been proper futsu.

So now I don't know whether want to grow futsu again, but I know I don't want to grow bush buttercup again!  ;D

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 23:15:48 »
Hooligan was too sweet for my taste so its back to the old favourite (for giving away to pumpkin eating friends as well) Crown Prince.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 11:04:23 »
I would grow again:

Uchiki Kuri - really pretty, lovely flavour, managed to grow this year even though none of the others did  :'(
Acorn - did really well last year, good flavour and kept for ages.
Butternut - the ones time I got a fully grown ripe crop they were delicious. Just got one teeny one this year. Going to try Hunter next year as they are said to ripen much more quickly.

Have also got Honey Bear to try next year, and want to try Crown Prince, Sunshine, Blue Hubbard...etc etc...and all the others.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 19:50:16 »
I will try butternut squash again as I managed to get 8 fruit this year from 10 plants compared to 1 fruit from 12 plants previously.

I have never grown any other squash / pumpkins other than to carve for haloween.  Ain't got a clue how to cook them or what to eat them with.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 20:38:47 »
Well they can make nice soups or just boiled and mashed. But I keep going back to our favourite of rubbing a bit of oil on slices and grilling them. Really nice.

pumkinlover

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 20:50:14 »
Adds bulk to sauces, casseroles and curry's as absorbs the flavours of other spices.
Especially useful for the carving halloween type pumpkins which have not always got the same flavour as the squashes and butternuts.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 17:06:53 »
Uchiki Kuri. Good flavour, I have the space and it keeps very well.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2011, 23:00:19 »
They do all have quite different flavours - some are light and peachy (galeux d'Eysines), some are sweet and nutty (uchiki kuri)...

I have got a few this year which I think are emerald buttercup and they're a bit rancid  :P.  ;D I tried putting them in a soup this evening and I think I ruined a good soup  ::)  ;D

pierre

• Not So New ...
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2011, 00:05:56 »
Uchiki Kuri for taste and quantity and Crown Prince for flavour.Both do well here in the north east

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 06:17:13 »
Definitely Delicata.
We prefer it to butternuts now.  I don't know how it will store but that isn't going to be a problem because they will all be eaten soon!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 08:41:22 »
I had Long Island Cheese over weekend...and REALLY liked it..not too sweet, not too dry but still plenty of flavour and just right size for the good size meal for two (in this case two for me  ;D) I cut lid off, removed seeds and filled it with spicy rice mixture, thingy of butter and bit of cheese...lid back on and cooked in oven as it was...YUUUUM.
Today I'm going to do same again with different squash and cous cous filling.. ;D Hmmm..what squash should I pick this time, choises choises.. ;D OH is not overly keen so more for MEEE!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 20:14:21 »
I just 'destroyed' one Galeux d'Eysines squash..prepared same way as the Long Island Cheese (see the last message)..and how different it was...and not suitable at all for oven roasting in whole.
Taste was light and delicious...but texture was soooo different to the LIC, which was soft and spoonable with quite short cooking time. Galeux..kept its bite until it was almost over cooked and took much longer to soften up..next time I would use it cut up in risotto or any other dish where I need it to hold the 'shape'...maybe spicy wedges..
Good thing was...Galeux I could eat the whole lot in one go..it was light..where as LIC was sooo filling, could only manage just about half of it in one sitting and then I was stuffed..and both squashes were about same size.
I would still grow Galeux again..taste was nice..just needs to be used differently..
Thelma Sanders Sweet Potato is in next in queue... ;)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 14:03:05 »
Well, I am a little upset now as I only have one Bon Bon left.

I roasted the rest on about gas mark 4 with a little olive oil and a sprinkling of salt.  So tasty but I have a year to wait before I can enjoy again.

I will try this test with the uchiki kuri and tuffy sweet for comparison but as goodlife mentioned some need to be cooked in different ways.

However, thelma sanders and spaghetti squash are probably not suited to my taste buds.  I found them bland but doesnt mean they will not be good for someone else.  i have a sweettooth you see  ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 16:59:43 »
We just enjoyed a roasted combo of red new potatoes, red onions and butternut squash all of them slathered in olive oil, crushed  garlic and crushed rosemary. Tasty and smells wonderful. Leftovers went in soup. I wasn't sure about how squash with garlic would taste but it worked well together.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

TISH

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 11:19:45 »
Always blue hubbards for me, taste great and store really well. Blue Ballet is similar but smaller.
Thanks

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2011, 09:49:06 »
Code: [Select]
However, thelma sanders and spaghetti squash are probably not suited to my taste buds.  I found them bland but doesnt mean they will not be good for someone else.
Well..first TS squash is tested now... :-\..and I have to agree with Dandytown...they are soooo bland. I prepared it same as other squashes last few weeks..oven roasted with savoury rice filling. The texture was nice..it cooked into soft pulp but still holding the shape, so ideal to as a 'dish' with filling.
It has definate squash flavour..but hardly any sweetness...the pale colour sort of describes the taste.. ::)
I propably eat rest of of them cooked same way but next time with really spicy filling..at least then there is something flavoursome to eat.
But I think I'm not in hurry to grow them again in near future.....this variety is not for me. :(

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 12:24:30 »
We and some dinner company tried a Pennsylvania Crookneck winter squash last night, roasted in chunks with olive oil, rosemary and new potatoes. It had less flavor by far than Butternuts that had hung a year. On the other hand the texture was smooth which is probably why they are favored for pies. I'll be making some pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving out of them. They are large, this one about 8 lbs, which will be making quite a few more meals for the two of us.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal