Author Topic: herbacious perrenials  (Read 2333 times)

umshamrock

• Half Acre
herbacious perrenials
« on: February 05, 2005, 08:37:59 »
Hi,
I bought a bunch of young herbacious perrenials (verbena bonasaris, foxglove, nepeta, delphiniums) from the garden center. They are small, in about 3 inch pots. I live in Plymouth so our climate is pretty mild...do you think it is too early to plant these guys into the garden? At the garden center they were stored outside. Thanks!
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth,
             when clearly it is Ocean"
                             - Arthur C. Clarke

john_miller

• Hectare
Re: herbacious perrenials
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 13:19:17 »
If the ground is warm enough, and dry enough to work, then you can plant anytime. If your soil is still cool though they could well just rot off.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 07:34:01 »
I would pot them on into bigger pots if the roots are good, then keep them in a cool greenhouse/coldframe etc until  mid march. Even in the sunny south we can get caught out.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 21:42:53 »
Remeber Delphs are a slug delicacy! Have just heaped egg shells round mine today! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

umshamrock

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 06:05:11 »
Hi,
 Thanks for your advice! I will beware of slugs and try to pot my plants into bigger pots this weekend. After the frost we had saturday night i am wary of putting them in the ground and will just pot into bigger pots...

Thanks!
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth,
             when clearly it is Ocean"
                             - Arthur C. Clarke

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 10:54:43 »
Whenever I buy small periennials, I usually pot them up and grow them on for a few months before planting them out. It's much easier to protect them from nashing jaws and extremes in weather that way. If it gets very cold, do be wary that soil in pots may freeze. It might be worth putting them in a cold frame (or a box with a fleece lining, if you don't have a frame).
gone to pot :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal