Author Topic: Lactose free ice cream  (Read 2128 times)

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
Lactose free ice cream
« on: November 16, 2011, 10:43:32 »
Does anyone have a recipe for lactose free ice cream please? It needs to be easy & I do not have an ice cream maker.
i have just discovered an excellent quick & easy recipe for ordinary orange ice cream & think it will go well with the christmas pudding, daughter & I are suited but poor little grandson unfortunately is lactose intolerant. Any ideas will be gratefully received.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Lactose free ice cream
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 15:21:37 »
Swedish Glace do at least three flavours.... if you find it doesn't work out...  :-X

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 15:27:51 »
Swedish Glace do at least three flavours.... if you find it doesn't work out...  :-X

I can vouch for that!  I prefer this to regular ice-cream!

Grow yer bugger grow!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 15:32:43 »
There's another one called freedom. It's the girl who won on Dragon's Den. There are several flavours. You can also do an instant one but Christmas day probably not the best day to do do it. Just add frozen fruit to the milk substitute your grandson has & whisk it up in a blender. I still haven't tried it but people who have say it's good.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 17:07:30 »
We make a lemon ice which would adapt very well to orange.

250g sugar
250ml water

Heat the water and dissolve the sugar to make a 1:1 syrup.  Allow to cool.

Wash and scrub several citrus (no need to scrub if unwaxed) and grate the zest.

Squeeze enough citrus to give 250-300ml juice. Remove the pips, but we leave in any bits of pulp.

Mix syrup and juice and taste for sweetness.  Sometimes you need a little more sugar for lemon, but I doubt you'll need more for orange.

Mix in the grated zest.  Put into the freezer to get very cold, but don't let it start to freeze.

Whip two egg whites until frothy and starting to peak.  Fold the egg whites into the now very cold fruit syrup.  If you have an icecream maker, put it into that.  If not, pour into a suitable container and put into the freezer.  Set the freezer to "continuous" or similar setting.

Check it after an hour and then every half hour.  When a layer has frozen on the bottom and sides of the dish, scrape the frozen layer off and into the middle.  Repeat this until the whole thing has begun to get thick.  Then put a lid on and allow to freeze completely.

The egg white makes a much lighter yet richer dessert than a simple sorbet or granita.  If your guests are squeamish about "raw" egg, don't tell 'em.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 19:15:00 »
The swedish glace is great, no good for Ray as he's diabetic. I'm thinking of trying to make my own with lacto free milk and cream, with sweetener then we can both eat it   :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal