Author Topic: Ideas for homemade ******** presents  (Read 4205 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Ideas for homemade ******** presents
« on: October 17, 2011, 15:55:33 »
I know it is a while away but I’m going to be making some of my pressies again this year and didn’t want to leave it all to the last minute. So far I’ve got a couple of bottles of sloe gin underway and some Rose wine I started about this time last year. Continuing on a boozy theme, I’m also thinking of making Limoncello or an orange flavoured spirit. I thought if I can find some reasonably priced small bottles I could do a festive tipple selection!

I also fancy making chocolate truffles and perhaps some shortbread. Sadly I’ve lost my microwave Fudge recipe, it was soooo scrummy. I know it used evaporated milk, sugar and I think butter, but I’ve no idea of quantities. If anyone has a fudge recipe to share it would be much appreciated  ;D

I guess I'm wondering what other people are going to be making? and looking for ideas  :)

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Ideas for homemade ******** presents
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 16:16:15 »
I'll be making (hoping to find time) some beeswax candles, small festively wrapped pundles of spicy christmas ginger biscuits...and I'm planning to start chrocheting some fine yarn 'cafe curtains' for christmas 2012.. ;D..they take a bit time to do..I did for one window couple of years a go..but I thought to make matching pair for my mothers other room.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 16:22:39 »
Unfortunately for me, practically all my pressies have to go by post and I end up paying as much (or more) for postage as for the pressie, so I usually end up sending stuff via Amazon or other online companies. Not so much fun but with 8 grandchildren, 3 kids and 3 stepdaughters (+their partners/ spouses) + other odds and sods I have to do about 30 presents (and that's just family!!!!!) :o :o

I don't have a recipe for fudge but here's one for Scottish taiblet  (wicked!!!!) taken from "A taste of Scotland" by Theodora Fitzgibbon:
A traditional Scots toffee which can be flavoured according to taste with: cinnamon, clove, ginger, lemon, orange, peppermint, vanilla or nuts.

0.5lb (1 cup) butter or margarine
1 pt (2 cups) water
4lb caster (extra fine) sugar
1lb tin of sweetened condensed milk

Put the butter and water into a deep pan and melt on a low heat. When melted add the sugar and bring to the boil, stirring slowly all the time. When boiling, add the condensed milk and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking. Take off the heat and add flavouring of your choice, then beat very well for 5 minutes. Pour into a greased pan and score into squares or little bars about 5in long and 1.5 in wide. Wrap each bar in waxed paper when cold. Makes about 4lb of toffee.

It isn't toffee -it's tablet so much softer and crunchier.
I used to do loads when my kids were little and needed stuff to sell at school/ brownies / scouts  sales etc.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 16:42:09 »
Wow that's a lot of pressies to send  :o

Mmmm thanks for the recipe grawrc, it does sound good and I'm tempted to give it a whirl instead of fudge  :-\

Goodlife, beeswax candles sound fantastic, have you any photos you can share?
Good luck with the curtains, a major project methinks :)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 16:46:06 »
I'm with you on the festive spirit idea..
Last year we gave away Rhubarb Schnapps, sweet Cherry vodka and a raspberry flavoured gin..
OH makes really nice cards fro everyone..
I am just off to get some vinegar for a Spicy Chutney which I'll probably give away with some jam and some runner bean pickle...

Actually forget the Raspberry Gin  - It wasn't a favourite!  :o
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 17:00:11 »
I have not done this for a few years but I think I am going to do it this year, which is make some marmalade, chutney and relish and order some black bomber truckles of cheese from Wales (lovely lovely creamy strong cheddar) and make up a hamper, used to go down a treat.

I always make chocolate and ginger biscotti for my team at work, funny enough they were mention in the last team meeting...ganets the lot of them ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 17:12:40 »
When we were in Cornwall, I bought several metal troughs, decorated with strawberries. I've filled them with runners and they will be going to some aunts, plus a big pot and some 'tea' herbs as part of my sister's pressie  :)
plus, lots of damson and raspberry jam for friends  ;D

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 17:18:43 »

Actually forget the Raspberry Gin  - It wasn't a favourite!  :o

I always make Raspberry Vodka especially for trifle, much nicer than sherry. It goes down well with the younger generation who like sweet, brightly coloured alcoholic drinks!

This year, I haven't finalised my presents, but on the list are:

Damson gin (already made)
Damson/crabapple/chilli jelly
Gooseberry/herb jelly
Pickled pears or damsons
Raspberry jam

I like your idea of adding an unusual cheese, Gadget.

When the girls were primary school age, I always made the staff Nigella's christmas tree decoration biscuits, in festive shapes - angels, stars etc. I have a lovely set of cutters my mother gave me. The teachers told me (I was a governor) that they actually ate the biscuits!

I posted the recipe last year on this thread:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,64191.0.html

Jayb, I have a nice fudge recipe (if you like it crumbly rather than chewy), I'll look it out and post it later. It isn't in the microwave but is very easy.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 17:22:55 »
Make rumtoff we did it last year very nice .also mini Xmas cakes for one person or a hamper, get tins from sml bake beans or the like, line with wax paper cook on low oven  ;D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 12:43:41 »
Hi Manics, please tell me more about the herb teas please. I'm a bit basic and tend to just pull something off and stick it in a cup. I've never really thought of doing more, do you do mixes too?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 12:48:25 »
Yes please to the fudge recipe Morris  ;D

I like the idea of mini Hampers....

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 09:09:13 »
Oops forgot, sorry. Here it is:

Vanilla Fudge

300ml 1/2 pt milk
800g 1 3/4lb sugar
100g 4 oz butter
10 ml 2 tsp vanilla

1. Put milk, sugar and butter into heavy pan and on low/medium heat, stir constantly until sugar dissolves and butter melts. Still stirring, bring to the boil. Cover, boil 2 minutes.
2. Uncover, continue to boil steadily, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, until a little mixture dropped into a cup of cold water, forms a soft ball when rolled between finger and thumb.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Leave to cool for 5 mins.
4. Beat (I pour it into my Kenwood Chef but a wooden spoon is fine) until it just begins to lose its gloss and is thick. (It is the beating that makes it crumbly not soft and chewy. You will see it just start to look grainy, then it is ready.)
5. Pour it into a buttered, ideally lined with baking parchment, 18cm/7 inch square tin. Mark into squares when cool. When firm and set, cut into squares.

I like this recipe because it only uses ordinary ingredients I always have on hand. It is delicious. From 'The Dairy Book of Family Cooking' a wedding present in 1984!!

Variations:

Chocolate fudge:

450g sugar, 150ml milk, 150g butter, 100g plain chocolate, 50 g clear honey.
Place all ingredients in heavy saucepan, heat gently until dissolved, stirring all the time. Bring to the boil and boil gently for 10 mins until at soft ball stage. Remove from heat, cool, beat, and pour into tin as above.

Fruit and nut fudge:
Add 50g chopped nuts and 50g seedless raisins to the mixture before beating.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 09:41:19 »
Code: [Select]
Goodlife, beeswax candles sound fantastic, have you any photos you can share?Sadly no...not yet anyway.
One thing that I forgot to add into my earlier post is 'my' honey mustard that I make for every christmas. One jar for myself and few for pressies.
Its sweet and hot and goes well with any meat..ideal spice-up for those cold meat sarnies.. :P
I only make it once a year..that way I'm not spoiling it for myself..something to look forward to in festive food selection and of course the jars are decorated with some fancy labels and other bits.. ;)
It's not difficult to make but needs to be done couple of weeks before its ready for eating..the flavours needs to 'develop'..once jar its opened it doesn't keep long..couple of week in fridge at max.
Recipe to follow if needed..

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 10:42:45 »
Thanks Morris, I'll save that to try at the weekend  :)

Yes please to Honey and Mustard recipe  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 20:22:15 »
Hi Manics, please tell me more about the herb teas please. I'm a bit basic and tend to just pull something off and stick it in a cup. I've never really thought of doing more, do you do mixes too?
Hiya, I bought my sister a large pot, strawberry type. I put in a very strong mint, lemon balm, rosemary, camomile, chocolate mint and a sage. I will be ading a bergamot this year,I've just taken lots of cuttings  ;D
Also forgot my marigold ointment for cuts and hand/foot cream with lavender  ;D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 20:49:47 »
I want to be on your pressie list  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 21:52:33 »
 ;D

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 06:50:09 »
My mouths watering!! You guys are so talented
Ive been making small pots of chilli jam, these went down so well last year. I also make lavendar/mint pot pourri with helichrysum flowers. Dried bunches of helis.

and last year i did personalised cushion covers by making appliques - a beetle for the entomologist- snowdrops for the gardener and a hen for the chicken keeper. The bonus with these were that even with the cushion pad inside them (99p from pound fever) they didnt weigh very much and were cheap to post. I also made felt chirstmas tree baubles.

Home made pressies are always my favorates from my freinds becuase they have sat and made something just for you.

oh and also do bulb pots with tulips/daffs/crocus and dwarf iris then gravel on the top to make them look posh and a wooden label that says love from Kathryn.

Very tempted by those fudge recipies - can you make chilli fudge?

x sunloving

pumkinlover

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 08:39:57 »
Not made chilli fudge, but just had some from a fudge maker in Castleton. Lovely :D

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 09:52:12 »

I have been reading all the posts what lovely presents you all make
I cover coat hangers, pad them and cover them with cotton gingham, and trim with cotton lace .and I add a heart shaped pad filled with dried lavender this I trim with cotton lace and ribbon, these hangers are lovely for your woollens or that special dress. and they always go down well with family and friends. I have made some with old linen and vintage lace, these are for wedding and evening dresses, but mostly for me.

June.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal