Author Topic: several veg growing terms that seem to confuse gardeners  (Read 47462 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: several veg growing terms that seem to confuse gardeners
« Reply #180 on: October 24, 2011, 10:38:57 »
And while I remember here's one for Lishka:
[attachment=1]

I finally got round to doing an inventory of all my seeds yesterday and entered them in a spreadsheet. As you can see this was facilitated by my able assistant, Jazz.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2011, 13:23:26 »
The thing I don't want to do is leave a houseful of "stuff" for my kids to clean out when I'm gone.

Our neighbor's daughter cried to me when her dad died that he'd left a basement full of his papers
and junk for her to sort through and handle which she really hated since she had no idea of the
value of any of it, she was choking with the dust and had two young children that needed her
attention and her mother who still lives in the house was mentally beyond doing any of it.

I keep reminding myself time is running out and I should be sorting and giving it to Goodwill to sell
or chucking it myself. ::)
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #182 on: October 24, 2011, 19:13:09 »
Several years ago we bought a bungalow for my parents (well we were flush then).  It gave them time to move in and sell their house.  There was a three week gap when we moved them out and they sold the house.  We left some "stuff" at the house (garage and shed) and dad said that he would "sort it".  He had a small micra and I thought that being being 78 he would not "do" a lot.

After they both died we were clearing out the bungalow and after getting the second skip we began to realise how many times my father drove from the old house to the bungalow in that three week period. He had methodically stacked the rubbish, for that was what it was, very carefully all over the place.

We can laugh about it now but it wasn't half a shock to find it all around the place.

Needless to say we don't store a lot now (well OH doesn't)  o:))))))).

Bill

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2011, 00:56:23 »
For 18 months (or more) I have been promising myself time to clear the very small bedroom I once used as an office when I taught. It is floor to ceiling with books (mostly mine) as well as having countless files and Cd's as well as "other useful things" that once did something or other when attached to various PCs.

Along with this I have hundreds and hundreds of old school photos. The idea is to scan the lot and dispose of the originals taken over more than 35 years and showing much of the school's history.

One fine day...... but, at the moment, I have just a few hours off each day so it's a job that will wait for another year or two...

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2011, 08:55:47 »
Modom Controller-now-controlled-by-her- little cat - oh! how the Mighty have fallen ;D Gave me a laugh, thanks for that.

Anyone else a Simon's cat lover, btw?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2011, 15:41:44 »
Anyone else a Simon's cat lover, btw?

Oh yes indeed! Strikes a chord. And for anyone not familiar with it here's a link:
http://www.simonscat.com/

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #186 on: October 26, 2011, 16:32:48 »
Does this thread get the prize for the greatest number of topics covered that are nothing to do with the title?

I used to like Henry's cat.   ;D  He knew everything about nothing. ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #187 on: October 26, 2011, 16:54:57 »
Does anybody do tai chi?...no, not a gardening term neither.. ;D
I'm just trying to cover more topics.. ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2011, 17:19:03 »
Does this thread get the prize for the greatest number of topics covered that are nothing to do with the title?
No, I think the prize for that goes to Trixiebelle's General Chitter Chatter and his sidekick Captain Claptrap"
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,28441.0.html

:o :o :o :o :o :o
This thread comes with a health warning. You could laugh so much you'll split your sides !!!!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #189 on: October 26, 2011, 18:12:18 »
Oh how much am I enjoying this thread!

Trixiebelle, where are you?!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #190 on: October 26, 2011, 23:15:32 »
Does anybody do tai chi?...no, not a gardening term neither.. ;D
I'm just trying to cover more topics.. ;D

Well do you know Goodlife that, when I read your post, I thought to myself that, no, I don't do tai chi but I really ought to do something like that or yoga or pilates to keep the old body working more efficiently.

There's been quite a bit mentioned about the effects of ageing and, for me, one of the worst is that I'm not as efficient (=fast) as I used to be so if I garden, not much else gets done. I'll spend a couple of hours at my plot, come back and do the same in the garden and then be bent double with aches and pains until the next day. Sometimes I am so sore that I wake myself up at night just turning over in my sleep.

Now the funny thing is, that if I get up half an hour earlier and do some yoga or aerobic exercise and some muscle (weightbearing) stuff I feel great for the whole day but human nature being what it is, I frequently stay in bed an extra half hour (usually because the cat has wanted to play at 3a.m.), don't do the workout and feel hellish after my gardening.

Silly eh?

Anyway Chinese ain't one of my languages (yet!) so who knows whether it is a gardening term or not.

Every now and then it's nice to just bask in a random thread where you can broach any topic without fear of being chided. Almost like a real conversation? Thanks again to Plainleaf!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2011, 03:24:07 »
grawrc mentioned Pilates exercises so I'll follow that thread. Some people were born to exercise. Our daughter got me interested in Pilates because she felt so great after a workout and dragged me to one of the programs. It appealed immediately because the instructor told me to lie down.
Now that's my kind of exercise I thought ;D  And after an hour of it the concept still appealed so I bought a used Pilates CD on line.

The CD still sits on the shelf. I look at the trim girl on its cover once in awhile and admire her abs. One day I even put the CD in the thing-a-magig and spread a towel on the floor, but that's as far as it went. The only exercise I got was bending over to pick up the towel again.  Guess I'm not one of those borne to exercise.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2011, 05:39:04 »
Red elastic bands left on my drive by the posties, it makes me so angry, again slightly off topic but I thought I'd get it off my chest.  :D ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2011, 08:46:24 »
Right ON topic for a gardening forum, with a recycling twist to it too - wot's to complain about? 8)

I stalk Ken our postie during the year (he's changed his delivery route, I notice...) and collect them. Think they make an attractive bracelet, love the colour, but p'raps that's not your thing, Corns?

So, come late spring I've got a goodly stock of them (a couple of armfuls at least) and use them to loosely tie down the bent over daffodil leaves. Yep I know it's not now Good Practice but I always get good daffs the next year and if it works - wot's to complain about? By the time the leaves have withered, the elastic has perished and my stock's depleted. Time to start stalking Ken again...

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2011, 09:15:15 »
My step-dad-in-law was postie man before he retired..and he gave me bag full of postie's reg leggybands..oh, they are so useful. Particularly I like them for bundling up all the seeds in seedbox.. ;) There..got it into 'veg growing terms'.. ;) ;D
As for the exercise stuff...well..as I'm doing gardening it for the job and pleasure..this body of mine don't keep going on unless I do something else. Tai chi has been BRILLIANT..is meditative, physical, relaxing, 'medicinal'...all those things in same time. I can't say that I'm that much more supple but the mind and body is well oiled.. ;)
And as the tai chi movements are the base for the self defence (marshal arts) movements..I'm getting good with blocking OH's access being first for the kettle and bickies...useful skill too..may come handy one day if in garden centre there is horrid rush for the seed shelves for some reason..ninja shopper.. ;D ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2011, 10:08:43 »
Yep, Goodlife, that's what I use the rubber bands for too! it's OK when I remember to open seed packets with scissors and can neatly and carefully fold them at the top to put them back in the seedboxes but usually I just rip them open and then of course can't close them properly any more .... hence the rubber bands. Mind you it is fun when there's a mix of a few seeds at the bottom of the tin that you can stick in a module tray and watch come up. Surprise!!!! How did a cucumber get in the flower seed tin   .. and so on.

Grannie Annie me too! It's not just the picture on the outside that puts me off. The dvd is called "Pilates for absolute (and potentially useless) beginners" or summat like that, but she goes off like a bat out of hell and when she stops 10 minutes later you're still standing there motionless, jaw dropped , wondering when she gets to the easy bit! None of the start easy and build it up approach.

Oh and for your delectation and delight I am returning to the sub-topic 23 section C paragraph xxiii and attaching something posted on FB by a good friend fromParaguay (but currently living in Russia). If it works that is:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #196 on: October 27, 2011, 10:20:22 »
Love that cartoon! My pet hate is the 'Drive thru' signs that McDonald's and KFC exhibit, I sat in the car waiting for OH the other week near one and contemplated with 14 yr old son how difficult it would be to climb up there and correct the spelling........ ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #197 on: October 27, 2011, 19:47:00 »
Then on THIS website I'm always puzzling, scratching my head over your: postie, sammi, bickie, botti ...everyone ending in ie...sounds like toddlers talking ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 20:09:48 by GrannieAnnie »

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #198 on: October 27, 2011, 20:26:47 »
Then on THIS website I'm always puzzling, scratching my head over your: postie, sammi, bickie, botti ...everyone ending in ie...sounds like toddlers talking ;D

errrr.that's dangerous talk, GrannieAnnie, I reckon

;) ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2011, 22:25:41 »
Has anyone else tried reading this thread backwards?
It's even funnier  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal