Author Topic: several veg growing terms that seem to confuse gardeners  (Read 47598 times)

Lishka

• Acre
Re: several veg growing terms that seem to confuse gardeners
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2011, 09:47:53 »
Have I missed the Great Love it/Loathe it Marmite debate? Me, I'm in the Loathe it camp, but my dil adores the stuff so my case is always packed with it when I visit. Except this last time when I put a special jar of Extra-Mature Marmite, all black and gold labelling in a presentation black and gold box, in my carry-on luggage. And all the alarm bells in the world went off when it went through the scanner at Thiefrow. Why? Not because the jar was glass but because a 'liquid' had been identified. Marmite is a LIQUID ??? Thick orrible gloopy stuff. Even the woman (a Marmite lover) who went through my carry-on admitted that, unless the victim stood very very very still whilst the perp.painted it over their eyeballs, one couldn't actually blind anyone with it. Sigh. So, because I certainly didn't want it posted back to me, wot with all my friends being sensible Marmite haters, and I wasn't allowed to gift it to the Security lady Marmite lover, it got binned. Gallingly, reading the in-flight magazine, there was an article about the Australian cousin, Vegemite. Which the writer called a PASTE. Huh! Tell that to the UK Security bods. Btw, I reckon that the world will be Everything Marmite soon. I'd asked friends what else I could take over - Marmite cheese, anyone?

Digeroo's zucchini/courgette tale reminded me of living in Italy and our son refusing point-blank to eat mushrooms but would happily scoff funghi...

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2011, 09:57:00 »
Back on topic, another for Plainleaf.

Will you be having a 'Herbs' (pronounced 'Erbs' - why? Oh Ok, I pronounce 'hotel' as 'otel.) Section. If you do, for the UK market, please can you clearly state that cilantro is also known as coriander?

And for the cooks - have you ever seen Knorr cilantro (coriander) cubes? Brilliant they are, teensy mini-cubes, 20 in a box, and very flavoursome. I cleared the store shelves of them to bring back. On special offer - 20 cents a box. My US bargain 8)

Lishka 

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2011, 10:02:58 »

Will you be having a 'Herbs' (pronounced 'Erbs' - why? Oh Ok, I pronounce 'hotel' as 'otel.) Section. If you do, for the UK market, please can you clearly state that cilantro is also known as coriander?

And for the cooks - have you ever seen Knorr cilantro (coriander) cubes? Brilliant they are, teensy mini-cubes, 20 in a box, and very flavoursome. I cleared the store shelves of them to bring back. On special offer - 20 cents a box. My US bargain 8)

Lishka  

.. now to add the post, as an edit!! ::)
Sounds like an excellent plan to me. By the time I've bought the seeds, sowed them, planted them out, cut off the leaves, chopped them up, frozen them in ice cube trays ............

don't know why I bother!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:05:41 by grawrc »

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2011, 10:15:27 »

Will you be having a 'Herbs' (pronounced 'Erbs' - why?  

The Americans are staying true to the French origin of the word (erbe).

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2011, 11:08:24 »
Another one for Plainleaf: arugula known as rocket in the UK.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the well-known pants vs trousers, source of much juvenile amusement.

I am definitely in the Marmite lover camp. Am in fact just about to make myself a slice of wholemeal toast, marmite and cheese on top for a mid-morning snack after being in the sunny autumn garden. Heaven.

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2011, 11:45:25 »

Lishka  

.. now to add the post, as an edit!! ::)
Sounds like an excellent plan to me. By the time I've bought the seeds, sowed them, planted them out, cut off the leaves, chopped them up, frozen them in ice cube trays ............

don't know why I bother!!

I'll add to your edit Modom Controller ...sowed them,planted them out, THEY'VE RUN TO SEED just after the first true leaves have appeared......... >:(

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2011, 11:53:39 »
I've got another one:

Broad beans here are Fava Beans in the US. I learned this from Dr Hannibal Lecter:

'I ate his liver with fava beans, and a nice Chianti.'

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2011, 12:51:10 »

It may interest you to know that I work in an Antique Centre and there is a big revival in Cake plates,stands and bone china tea sets.The sort Granny had in he display cabinet in the parlour.................

Oh goodie! Maybe it will catch on in the USA. Getting rid of mugs here would be a nice step up. I've held to having my tea or coffee in a true china teacup with saucer. Like the gentle clatter of cup on saucer whereas mugs just go <clunk> ;D
I'm also all for using the china that others leave back in their cabinets until they die.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2011, 13:21:32 »
Betula how do you cope working in an antique shop?
when I worked in a cactus nursery I could spend most of my wages there ;D

(Just had marmite on toast :D)

I like my marmite on thinly sliced bread with real butter............spread thinly.......yum.

It is very hard,surrounded by these wonderful objects.I am getting better at resisting but hate customers who buy something I have been contemplating......how dare they LOL .

I

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2011, 02:17:17 »
that all for UK English help. since has gone off topic I think it time this thread good bye. I will some up this thread in the shed with link for those who wish to continue the subject. ttfn.
I will start new thread tomorrow.  at about 7 gmt

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2011, 10:50:47 »
.. and to start the ball rolling again a link to a poster:

http://busyteacher.org/images/crazy-language-poster-full.jpg

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2011, 11:59:59 »
Brilliant to see this running again... or is that "open"? ;D

Loved the poster - if only I had written down (or is that up) all the amusing, confusing comments, remarks and observations made by children over the years.

How children misunderstand and misconstrue words often makes sense once you discover their logic. :D

Sweet potato... Is it sweet?
Horse raddish... for horses?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:32:29 by Aden Roller »

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2011, 13:05:09 »
A great poster! So thankful I didn't have to learn English as a second language.

So tell  us:  who did invent English muffins? Don't tell me the Scots did that also.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2011, 13:28:09 »
Code: [Select]
So thankful I didn't have to learn English as a second languageActually English is not so difficult to learn. Even I still have 'pull my hair  out' with some of the terms and words..it is still much easier that some other languages that I've had a go over the years.
I don't have a 'first or second' language anymore..just different ways of 'talking' and coping what I've got..  :-\

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2011, 14:25:00 »
So tell us sponge brain ;) what other languages have you dabbled with ;D?

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2011, 16:34:20 »
Concluding my Heathrow Marmite Saga.......

After I'd posted that this 'liquid' had been confiscated, a member here PM'd me the following link:-  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/18/kevin-rudds-vegemite-near_n_968424.html.

I see that Kevin Rudd nearly created an International Incident in Australia when Customs there attempted to confiscate his Vegemite for exactly the same reasons. Gallingly, the news was posted just a day before I left the UK - telling you, I'd have created my Very Own International Incident had I known. As it was, I was too busy cramming squeezy jars of Marmite, Marmite Cheeses, Marmite cashews, Marmite bl**dy everything, in my case on the 19th and missed it >:(

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2011, 17:14:18 »
So tell  us:  who did invent English muffins? Don't tell me the Scots did that also.

I haven't a clue so I googled and still haven't a clue!! Some say the word is French in origin, some say it is German. Some say "English muffins" were introduced to USA by an English emigrant. Some say American "English muffins" are different from English "English muffins".   ::) ::) ???

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2011, 17:19:02 »
Strange but I have just sold a tea set with its very own muffin dish :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2011, 17:21:11 »
Mmmm toasty hot muffins dripping with butter   ............  and a cup of tea. So tempting!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2011, 17:49:14 »
Sat next to a cosy fire..........lovely :)

USA cup cake

UK  Fairy cake......at least it was....we ae all talking cup cake now ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal