Author Topic: several veg growing terms that seem to confuse gardeners  (Read 47028 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: several veg growing terms that seem to confuse gardeners
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 06:53:07 »
no one in USA grows Swede now there are those who grow rutabaga

;D ;D ;D ;D

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 15:26:49 »
The good old rutabaga cant beat it with the sunday roast, And the  USA dont grill they broill their bacon etc

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 15:50:11 »
The good old rutabaga cant beat it with the sunday roast, And the  USA dont grill they broill their bacon etc
Actually, some here grow the Gilfeather Turnip which is really a white rutabaga, fine tasting, sweet, and big as a bowling ball (except when grown by me when it is radish-sized ;D)
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

pumkinlover

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 15:54:15 »
Looked up rutabaga on Wiki and seems preety arbitary depending on where you live.
One could ask in Sainsbury's ;D ;D ;D
I grew black sugar turnip this year, now that looked like a turnip but grew over summer like a swede, at least to my reckoning.
time to book into Betty's home for the bewildered ??? ??? ???

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 15:59:03 »
Well this could be a load of old cobblers, since I don't know where the poster got her/his information, but I found it interesting and plausible:
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100121004612AAjupaw

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 16:10:12 »
Thanks for the link, an interesting read.
I'd forgotten until I read through that I remember seeing swedes in Ireland which they called turnips.

GrannyAnnie I'm growing Gilfeather next year so good to hear description, hope mine get a bit bigger than raddish though  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 18:26:29 »
Thanks for the link, an interesting read.
I'd forgotten until I read through that I remember seeing swedes in Ireland which they called turnips.

GrannyAnnie I'm growing Gilfeather next year so good to hear description, hope mine get a bit bigger than raddish though  :)
John_Miller mailed me one from Vermont that was huge! The taste was like a sweet (meaning not a strong kohl) cauliflower-taste when cubed and steamed. Not fibrous as all. He gave me seed also but mine look the size of a hefty carrot in thickness, not nearly like his, and some rotted off. But mine didn't get full sun which surely doesn't help. I passed on some seed to real farmers and am eager to see what theirs were like. I haven't been as excited about a new veggie for a long time and hope yours are a happy introduction as well.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 19:08:09 »
I'm growing Gilfeather next year too.. ;D I meant to grow it this year..but as the summer was so dry and it didn't get better for autumn sowing neither I've my seeds and try again when conditions are better.. ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 20:45:05 »
I'm growing Gilfeather next year too.. ;D I meant to grow it this year..but as the summer was so dry and it didn't get better for autumn sowing neither I've my seeds and try again when conditions are better.. ;D

Maybe we need a Gilfeather competition?
Er, now I've really hijcked this thread. sorry. will quit before exterminated.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 21:34:02 »

Please don't - we don't 'do' turnip in our house but we do 'do' kohl rabi - but a turnip that is less of a turnip is definitely of interest [sweet cauli taste sounds great]. I wonder if anyone is saving these for the Circle. If not now, then maybe next year.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 22:22:31 »
There seems to be a good amount of confusion between turnips, neeps, swedes, rutabaga, personally I like the term mangel wurzels  The big sweet yellow/orange fleshed type the size of a football.  I haven't seen one for years.   Boiled then served with a topping of cheese and black pepper.   Lovely until my stomach rebels.   Or carved for halloween before someone substituted pumpkins.   Wurzel Gummage would be very short of a good head these days perhaps even microcephalic.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 22:42:02 »
There seems to be a good amount of confusion between turnips, neeps, swedes, rutabaga, personally I like the term mangel wurzels  The big sweet yellow/orange fleshed type the size of a football.  I haven't seen one for years.   Boiled then served with a topping of cheese and black pepper.   Lovely until my stomach rebels.   Or carved for halloween before someone substituted pumpkins.   Wurzel Gummage would be very short of a good head these days perhaps even microcephalic.

Aah, the nursery I went to this time last year had a good display of these....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55414761@N05/6254959365/

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 22:48:59 »

Oh dear.  That brings back unpleasant memories of school lunches.  Take away the cheese and black pepper and what I remember is a sweetish fibrous gloop.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 22:55:18 »
I grew mangelwurzels as goat food years ago, too sweet for my taste but the goats liked them. Hard to chop up on a cold morning though :(

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 01:01:06 »

Please don't - we don't 'do' turnip in our house but we do 'do' kohl rabi - but a turnip that is less of a turnip is definitely of interest [sweet cauli taste sounds great]. I wonder if anyone is saving these for the Circle. If not now, then maybe next year.
Fedco Seeds is the only place that carries Gilfeather seeds I believe. And they aren't taking orders anymore this year.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 07:07:56 »
Fedco Seeds is the only place that carries Gilfeather seeds I believe. And they aren't taking orders anymore this year.

With one hand she gives, and with the other she takes away.  ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 08:55:48 »
I'm going to save some seeds from Gilfeathers..well hoping..but I won't have any spare seeds until 2013.. ::)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 09:02:15 »
Code: [Select]
personally I like the term mangel wurzels  The big sweet yellow/orange fleshed type the size of a football. Now would wurzels be same swedes?
I just bought some yellow turnip -Goldana golden ball and Swedish Yellow swede seeds from Finland...next year is going to be very yellow.. ;D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 10:39:14 »
I just can't be doing with swede, it's foul! It's about the only veg that I don't eat!
I was thinking of growing baby turnips in the spring though, I like those roasted!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 12:31:33 »
Haha I am enjoying this thread. It has been well and truly hi-jacked in a manner that fits in with the title but not the original intent. It is now much more interesting - and the OP has gone quiet! ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:35:18 by Morris »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal