Author Topic: Planted Garlic too deep?  (Read 11186 times)

luckycharlie

• Acre
Re: Planted Garlic too deep?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 14:42:10 »

Wish I had read this before going down to the allotment. Just planted mine just below surface. Oh well could dig the up tomorrow and replant   ;D ;D

x Chas

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 15:24:55 »
On our site we have a number of Italians. Just out of curiosity I checked before posting as i noticed it last year. One of them plants his garlic (though it is elephant garlic he plants) on top of the soil but the next one along also italian has planted on top of the soil then made a little mound over each row.

The birds have already pulled some of mine out again :( have to keep putting them back but the problem is seeing where it's come from.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 00:53:29 »
On our site we have a number of Italians. Just out of curiosity I checked before posting as i noticed it last year. One of them plants his garlic (though it is elephant garlic he plants) on top of the soil but the next one along also italian has planted on top of the soil then made a little mound over each row.

The birds have already pulled some of mine out again :( have to keep putting them back but the problem is seeing where it's come from.

Elephant garlic isn't a true garlic - it's from the lily family as far as I know.

I've grown it for about the last five years. I plant it around 4 to 5 inches down and don't expect to see it again until very early spring. By early summer it develops (wish I could remember what they're called) flower stalks that should be broken off.

By the end of June I lift them for drying to reduce the chance of rot setting in if it's a wet season.

Personally I'm not that keen on the things - garlic-like taste and OK in with the roast but I'd sooner have the real thing.  ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 10:49:34 »
I thought it was a leek. It can't be a lily as it has normal onion-family type flowers.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 13:00:28 »
Code: [Select]
Elephant garlic isn't a true garlic - it's from the lily family as far as I know.Sorry..it belongs to Allium family..closest to leek.. ;)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 21:42:28 »
Elephant garlic isn't a true garlic - it's from the lily family as far as I know.Sorry..it belongs to Allium family..closest to leek.. ;)

Der....... sorry.  :-[
I knew it was something with loads of leaves!  ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 17:59:13 »
Just to add to what i previously said, i suppose what soil you have and where/how you grow your veg. If you have light soil or grow in well drained raised beds then deeper would be better. if on the other hand you have heavy soil and /or grow 'on the flat' than slightly shallower is probably better. They need good drainage as i am sure you know.

I have even heard of them grown planted into ridges  across the bed. I suppose this is a way to improve drainage on heavier soils without having to have raised beds.

Hope this helps (sorry if it muddies the waters for you!)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 02:32:37 »
Just have to boast that my garlic, which I plant quite deeply, is well up now! When it is all up I will be able to see where I planted the elephant garlic, which stays invisible until the spring, and I have forgotten where I put it.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 09:21:11 »
The first Garlic to show its head that I planted three weeks ago is the Spanish variety I put in, whilst the other varieties are still not showing, :)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 10:54:16 »

Yep! It's definitely a plant!!!!!

Garlic, onions, leeks etc are all Alliums...elephant is more closely related to leeks than garlic.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2011, 00:43:43 »

Yep! It's definitely a plant!!!!!

Garlic, onions, leeks etc are all Alliums...elephant is more closely related to leeks than garlic.

Yep... I did know that but at the time my brain cells were relaxing just a little too much.  ;)  ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 15:56:02 »
Bought several bulbs of locally grown Spanish Garlic in a local veg shop up in the old town in Benidorm last week and it will be going in around March time, just hope it keeps and doe's not decide to start sprouting,   :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 16:31:33 »
My elephant garlic is still sat sitting in the allotment shed waiting patiently for someone to either plant it or eat it. Normally it would have been planted in October!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 17:28:05 »
Mine hasn't been planted either, but it's pretty tolerant. It'll be going in shortly.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 23:54:38 »
Mine hasn't been planted either, but it's pretty tolerant. It'll be going in shortly.

So will mine if I get a half-day off to escape to the plot.  ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal