Author Topic: Introducing new chickens  (Read 1762 times)

David K

• Quarter Acre
Introducing new chickens
« on: October 25, 2011, 21:00:44 »
Had a very traumatic experience with my chickens over the weekend.

I have three young (about 4 month old) Copper Star hens and wished to add a couple of 18 week old Rhode Island Reds, which I duly did on Saturday just past.
I did what I thought was sensible by adding them to the coup just after dusk, as I thought they would be unlikely to fight after dark.

WelI, I was expecting some kind of reaction from the existing birds whilst 'pecking order' was being established, but what transpired was nothing short of vicious cruelty from them, absolutely terrorising these poor young RIRs.

After finding one in the nest box with its head buried deeply in the corner and trembling, I called a halt to it and separated them.

They have now been returned to the poultry breeder I bought them from, who kindly agreed to have them back.

Anyone else has a similar experience?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Introducing new chickens
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 21:47:39 »
Well..there has been bit of squabling going on when bringing new girls into existing flock but usually it has sounded worst than its really been...but nothing that I could call cruelty.
Was there big size difference between your 'old' and new girls? That can cause almost like 'slaughter' as the smaller ones are not able  defend themselves.
Usually I provide two different feeding and watering 'holes' one inside and the usual one outside. Then there is less chance of fight over their most 'precious spot'.. ;)..and while the new girls are running away they have better chance catching a quick snack every now and then.
Giving them something extra to do as well can help..bale of straw or some other form of 'toy' can take their mind off from other things for a while..they will be far too busy of investigating and having fun rather than spending all their time putting everybody else in order.. ;) This time of the year big bin liner full of fallen leaves with odd worm chucked in works like a treat too.. ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:53:38 »
What size is the run? If they felt crowded that would make the aggression worse.

David K

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 12:50:19 »
What size is the run? If they felt crowded that would make the aggression worse.

The run area is 4mx4mx1.5m (forget the dimensions) but the coop itself is designed for 12 full size birds with 6 perches & 2 nest boxes, with (as described earlier) just 3 birds....all i wanted to do is add another couple.  >:(

I wouldn't think that would be overcrowding them!

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 13:34:32 »
We joined two seperate little flocks, who had been close to each other and met before. It never was a happy flock after that.
You are right the size of the run is fine, but so was ours.
Big  size differences and age differences do not help, but should not have been too much of a factor here.
Goodlife's given good advice for future reference, but at the end of the day Chickens seem to differ and I think you did right to move the new youngsters.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal