Author Topic: growers mash for layers  (Read 3344 times)

kimbobill

• Half Acre
growers mash for layers
« on: September 03, 2011, 10:30:35 »
We got our first egg yesterday ;D 

We were told that they wouldn't start laying until October.
we have them on growers mash at the moment and there is quite a bit left. What should we do finish up the growers or put them onto layers. what's the difference between growers and layers please

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: growers mash for layers
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 10:48:08 »
You could start mixing some layers mash/pellets into growers..and slowly use up them that way. Sounds like they've got calculations bit wrong with age of your girls.
The difference between those two feeds subtle..both have same things in it but in different nutritional ratio..eg..more protein. They are design full fill the needs of those nutritions in differents stage of development.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 11:08:03 by goodlife »

David K

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 11:19:10 »
We got our first egg yesterday ;D  

We were told that they wouldn't start laying until October.
we have them on growers mash at the moment and there is quite a bit left. What should we do finish up the growers or put them onto layers. what's the difference between growers and layers please

Congratulations, kimbobill. I took delivery of my four point-of-lay Copper Star pullets, 9 days ago. They produced their first egg (about the size of a cherry tomato) a couple of days later.
Surprise, surprise....yesterday they produced a slightly larger egg (still nothing as big as a normal egg) and it was double yoked  :o

For the record, I'm feeding layers mash too, as this is what they were being fed on previously.

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 16:40:17 »
thanks for the replies and great advice yet again

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 00:29:33 »
Just seen this thread so it's probably a bit late, but you should really check if the growers contains the additive that helps to stop coccidiosis, as the eggs shouldn't strictly be consumed until the hens have had this out of their system for 10-14 days.  Some have it and some don't, but I suppose if you're reading this you've lived to tell the tale!  ;)

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 11:02:37 »
Well we are all still alive and kicking!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal