Author Topic: Hastings Seed Swap  (Read 3488 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Hastings Seed Swap
« on: October 11, 2011, 11:17:51 »
Hi

Just to let you know that there is a seed swap in Hastings organised for Sunday 30th October, 2011 from 1.30 to 3.30 at St Mary's In The Castle (which is on the seafront opposite the big carpark and near the Bingo Hall).

So for anyone who lives in the area or fancies a day trip to the seaside we'd love to see as many people as possible

And as an added bonus "Bring something to share and receive a 30p voucher for the café!" How good can it possibly get!

:)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: Hastings Seed Swap
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 21:39:56 »
Thanks Claire. I'm a tiny bit worried, but very glad if you're there 1066.  :) I've been plugging it at our allotment site, and still have to try and get some posters up on local noticeboards.

I don't know which is my bigger nightmare - no one turning up or hundreds of people turning up like ravening seed beasts.  :o :o

The HSL have said they can't attend but will send me some literature in the post. (By which I presume they mean leaflets about seed saving rather than nice novels)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 15:45:48 »
Well it's only a week away - bumpity bump bump bump

Looking forwar dto the reading material, if not we could write our own novel "seed swappers........ (you fill in the rest of the title) !

:)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 20:36:32 »
We had our seed swap today - it went really well. Just enough people to make it a great swap, and not so many we couldn't cope.

Very nice to meet 1066 in person.  :) As well as all the other enthusiastic seed and plants sharers of Hastings.

People were so generous they brought loads and loads of seeds and plants, far more than they took. So I've got to have another session and try and get rid of them! Of course that could be a big mistake - I could end up with a bigger and bigger surplus each time... ;D  ;D

Here's a pic - looks like a bit of dungeon, that's cos it was in the crypt of an old church. The REALLY REALLY excited seed-swapper is my daughter, Connie.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 20:41:22 »
Glad it went well, lovely picture esp. little daughter :D
Spooky place- shame it was not Halloween!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 21:23:55 »
She's a nice little seedling.  :) She was very quiet, not talking to anyone and just colouring in until the camera came out, at which point she leapt up and performed for the camera. The opposite of all the adults, who went shy and hid a bit.  ::)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 22:15:40 »
Yup she was the star of the swap!

Well done Pige for organising

I've been trying to think of ideas for disposing of or dealing with the excess seeds. the only reasonably bright idea is to donate some to schools (if they are intrested), or there is that gardening charity up on the ridge??

anyway, lovely afternoon, got some treats, not too many, and now looking forward to next year  ;)  :D  ;D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 22:30:18 »
Yes some great treats.

Well Barbara at St Mary in the Castle says I can have the venue free if I want to do a follow up in new year. But tbh I don't know whether that would make it worse!

I could offer them round local allotment societies, and freecycle the plants?

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 22:33:06 »
yes and I agree about the garden on the ridge - they would know what to do with the seeds. Must visit there some time.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 12:46:08 »
that's goo dnews about the venue  :)

I was wondering too about what you said about haveing a semi permanent stall somewhere, but that would have to exclude plants, and wondered if somewhere like the Love cafe in St Leonards might be interested?
I think the guys on the Ridge might know what to do with the industrial size bags of lettuce seed  :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal