Author Topic: Maris Bard potatoes - WARNING!  (Read 17156 times)

small

• Hectare
Re: Maris Bard potatoes - WARNING!
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 15:26:42 »
I tried Cara for the first time this year. Never again, huge potatoes but ruined by slugs. I've not seen a slug all year, it's been so dry here, my Desiree and Pink Firs were perfect....because all the little b...s were partying in the Cara....actually, maybe I could grow a couple as bait/sacrifice....

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 15:45:02 »
I seem to remember Bob Flowerdew recommending cutting some spuds up as thick chips and sticking them into the ground along either edge of your rows. Pull them out periodically and you'll be taking out baby slugs with them.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 00:30:03 »
I rarely have trouble with slugs - keeping grass paths cut, removing weeds and hoeing between rows of veg seems to help keep them at bay.

It's only towards the end of the season & if its very wet that one or two make it in as far as the spuds. Out of six 30 foot rows I guess I have had maybe five spuds nibbled.

Wire worm is another matter. Some potatoes seem much more prone than others.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 23:43:20 »
I've grown a lot of Maris Bard when I was working on a research project. It is actually a very tasty potato, however we were using it because it is very susceptible to Blackleg/soft rot for which we were looking for a biological control.
We never had any problems with slugs or wireworms during our trials but every potato I grow on my allotment gets filled with holes from both, so frustrating. Might try Queenbee's technique.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 10:24:28 »
I've grown a lot of Maris Bard when I was working on a research project. It is actually a very tasty potato, however we were using it because it is very susceptible to Blackleg/soft rot for which we were looking for a biological control.
We never had any problems with slugs or wireworms during our trials but every potato I grow on my allotment gets filled with holes from both, so frustrating. Might try Queenbee's technique.

Desirée has a waxy texture and excellent flavour.... and are less likely to be attacked by wireworm!

I've found these pretty good.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 14:06:29 »
Yes round the edge of each treatment we grew Desiree as markers...I'm not a big fan I'm afraid.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 02:08:58 »
Yes round the edge of each treatment we grew Desiree as markers...I'm not a big fan I'm afraid.

I agree - not my number one choice but there again the wireworm aren't keen either  ;)  ;D

Desiree seem to keep well in storage so their sacks are plonked at the back to use last often in the New Year.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 02:11:36 by Aden Roller »

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 05:12:33 »
My Pentland Crown that I'm digging now are full of slug holes, never again.   :'(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2011, 09:25:04 »
This year I grew our old favorites Charlotte, a great boiled spud, Marris piper usual bit of slug and scab damage but they make the best roasties, also new for us this year Epicure very impressed, Wilja not yet sampled and harlequin a pink fir and Charlotte cross they fell to bits when boiled and not a lot of taste.

I think all these potato threads just go to show how variable (frustratingly so) potatoes are in different locations.

I tried Harlequin this year for the first time. I was pleased. Huge crop, they stay firm (except some of the largest ones that have turned a bit floury) when boiled/steamed. The flavour is lovely, not quite as good as PFA (though I haven't grown it for years) and miles better than a shop potato.

Whereas on my soil I don't much rate Charlotte, I prefer the flavour of Juliet or Nadine.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 12:24:52 »
This year I grew our old favorites Charlotte, a great boiled spud, Marris piper usual bit of slug and scab damage but they make the best roasties, also new for us this year Epicure very impressed, Wilja not yet sampled and harlequin a pink fir and Charlotte cross they fell to bits when boiled and not a lot of taste.

I think all these potato threads just go to show how variable (frustratingly so) potatoes are in different locations.

I tried Harlequin this year for the first time. I was pleased. Huge crop, they stay firm (except some of the largest ones that have turned a bit floury) when boiled/steamed. The flavour is lovely, not quite as good as PFA (though I haven't grown it for years) and miles better than a shop potato.

Whereas on my soil I don't much rate Charlotte, I prefer the flavour of Juliet or Nadine.

I need a lottery win, three acres of ground, a mini-tractor and then I can try out all the varieties mentioned on here  ;D

But.... in the meantime I'll stick to those that I know do well for me and try maybe just one or two "something differents" next year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal