Author Topic: Most expensive tin of Roses chocolates!  (Read 3507 times)

Old bird

• Hectare
Most expensive tin of Roses chocolates!
« on: October 05, 2011, 16:34:05 »
Got home from work for lunch today and let my 3 dogs out.

Went upstairs and found that a whole tin of Roses chocolates that I had got in for a gift for Christmas had been eaten - the tin had tooth marks and was dented and bashed around and every single chocolate and wrapper had disappeared 900grams.  I have only one dog that goes upstairs my young labrador Roxy!

I called the vets and they said to get down there quickly they gave her an injection to make her sick which she was but unfortunately the chocolate had melted and was obviously in her system.  I have had to leave her at the vets on a drip as it can be fatal if too much of the cocoa gets into her system.  I expect i am going to have a £200 or so bill for this one - and all because I thought getting a tin at £5 from Tesco's was a bit of a bargain!

My fault but I really didn't think that a sealed tin would be a challenge to a dog to get into it and eat the contents so didn't put it completely out of reach.

Old Bird
 :o

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Most expensive tin of Roses chocolates!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 16:53:18 »
I do hope Roxy will be OK. Perhaps you could give Roxy as the gift to the person you bought the chocolates for ;) ;D, as if.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 17:04:32 »
what a nightmare that is,hope your dog is ok fingers crossed.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 17:31:47 »
oh what a nightmare. I hope she gets better soon.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 18:17:41 »
That's awful, I hope she's alright.  Who would imagine that a dog would be able to get into a sealed tin of chocolates though.  :o
Let us know how she is please.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 18:50:18 »
Long time no see  :)

What a complete nightmare......I feel for you and Roxy.

Would not for a moment think they would get into a tin...........a timely warning as the Roses will soon be in this house.

Please let us know what is happening x

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 08:42:14 »
We had a Beagle he went to my sisters house via the back door,nobody saw him get open the oven door steal a whole leg of lamb! my sis heard the thumping of it going down the back stairs,she chased him down the street till he let go!forgot to say the lamb was cooked the night before left in the oven cos it was to big to get in the fridge!couldn't afford that now :(

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 10:22:48 »
How is Roxy?  Labs are just too lively and inquisitive! 

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 15:09:51 »
Hello All!

Collected Roxy from vets yesterday afternoon.  VERY pleased to see me!  Seems OK so even though the toxins can be slow acting looks like we have got away with it and there certainly won't be a next time!!  £146 total cost plus the £5 for the chocolates!

I was thoroughly cuddled by her on the sofa - I think she probably did not like being shut in a cage at the vets for 24 hours so even though she won't realise why she was there - she appreciated home comforts!

Galina you say that labs are just too lively and inquisitive - put greedy in first place though!  My other labrador had been out this morning scavenging on the beach for dead fish or whatevery may have been thrown up by the sea and then followed that by a dead something or other (probably deer) at the bottom of cliffs.  She is a total gannet and will gorge herself on whatevery delicacy she has found until she has either finished it or she can't literally get any more in!! Disgusting but labrador for you!

Thanks for all your kind messages - drama over - plastic has paid the bill so will spread it over a couple of months or so and it will become a distant memory except that I will never again buy tins of chocolates!

Old Bird

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 15:30:41 »
Glad to hear she is ok, sorry about the melted plastic though.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 17:23:36 »
I suppose the damage could have been a lot worse, imagine if you'd put it in the wardrobe. My westie was able to open the pantry door  whenever there were chew sticks in there. Long gone sadly :'(.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal