Author Topic: Poly tunnel.  (Read 1693 times)

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
Poly tunnel.
« on: October 03, 2011, 08:52:03 »
Thank you to everyone for all of your help about poly tunnels.  We decided in the end to buy a 2mx3m from the garden centre as they were on offer. After looking at a few of them in use we think we can modify one i.e. anchor it down onto heavy chunks of wood and bury it a bit more than suggested. (we are not tall people so a few inches won`t make any difference) Also we are going to make proper doors at either end, use hot spot tape, also put scaffolding planks around the insides which again we will bolt to the  frame, plus the frame is 25mm not 19mm  like some. Its cost £90.  we have enough wood laying around for the frames etc., and if the cover goes about £60 should get a  new one.  Can but try,  seems better than £300 which would be the cost of the others. Would not mind the cost so much if it was at home but its on an allotment and we do have vandals.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: Poly tunnel.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 13:09:32 »
I started off with one of those, but from Ebay.  It lasted me 3 years and I probably could have gotten another year out of the cover.  I'm vertically challenge (5'4") so sank frame about 3" into the soil and then trenched the cover and it withstood all weathers.

I have seen the Gardman tunnels at Wyevales and thought that the frames looked much sturdier.  I think your plan for wooden doors is a good one; I had to replace one of the zips and the hot spot tape is a good idea.  Also wrap duct tape over the bolts that hold the tubes together otherwise they will cuase holes in the cover.

Enjoy :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal