Author Topic: NAME JUST ONE VEG YOU HAVE DECIDED NOT TO GROW NEXT YEAR AND WHY!  (Read 14758 times)

Nigel B

• Hectare
Re: NAME JUST ONE VEG YOU HAVE DECIDED NOT TO GROW NEXT YEAR AND WHY!
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2011, 13:18:51 »

Broad beans. Why?  Because I grow them, look after them, pick them, cook them, serve them and then scrape them off the plates, and bin them!!  We all hate them !!!! ;D ;D
;D  Same here with squash/pumpkin. There simply aren't enough ways to fool them into thinking it's somehow become tasty...
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2011, 14:06:33 »
Another vote for broad beans. I feel like I am kicking out a family member, though  ;) The smell of the flowers in spring, the first tiny pods...

However, I am the only one of the four of us who likes broad beans. And if I am brutal, there are actually many other veg I enjoy far more than broadies myself.

This year my solution was to grow crimson-flowered and regard them as ornamentals - but their yield was actually impressive. I probably have 2 year's worth for me in the freezer.  So next year I plan to harden my heart and give their space to shelling french beans instead.

Can you tell I am trying to convince myself? I am itching to sow some aquadulce. I will be strong, I will be strong ...

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2011, 14:10:28 »
The entire Solanaceae family except for potatoes (and possibly chillis). This is the season I officially give up on efforts to grow peppers, aubergines and tomatoes. Without a greenhouse or polytunnel, and in spite of pampering them beyond reason this final year, I have no aubergines, a thin and tasteless pepper or two, and completely blighted tomatoes.

It will save weeks of struggling to bring up healthy seedlings inside the house, and hours of planting out and feeding and watering in huge pots in sunny, sheltered corners; I'm just wiping out the whole family.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2011, 15:11:10 »
The entire Solanaceae family except for potatoes (and possibly chillis). This is the season I officially give up on efforts to grow peppers, aubergines and tomatoes. Without a greenhouse or polytunnel, and in spite of pampering them beyond reason this final year, I have no aubergines, a thin and tasteless pepper or two, and completely blighted tomatoes.

I'm just wiping out the whole family.

Maybe you could overwinter the peppers as house plants and get an earlier start next year.  But it doesn't always work and I'd hate to recommend something that causes more work and isn't guaranteed.  However, it often works for me. 

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2011, 15:18:10 »
I said leeks in an earlier post but some of the posts have really got me thinking about effort/reward and cost/reward

If truth be told then there are more than just leeks that I won`t be growing

thinly sliced or spiralised courgettes were great in salads and my cucumbers were dismal, only 2 tiny fruits. Cucs are out because we liked the courgettes so much . Cucs in planters not worth the effort

Peppers are just reddening now and are hardly worth the cost and effort in planters, so they are out

Aubergines were fruitful. I only grew them because I was given seeds. I don`t like them and they were a potch to keep watered. They are out

French beans were no where near as nice as the runners, they will be gone

Maincrop potatoes, cara are mushy and have too many holes. They are gone. 1st and 2 earlies only for me now

Tomatoes under cover were good and worry free. Those outdoors I fretted over re blight. outdoor ones are gone

rocket and spinach bolted. They are gone

I have beautiful cabbages but they are huge, I have to cook cabbage every day for a week when I cut one. Big cabbages are out and small ones in

kohl rabi, didn`t like after the first few. They are are out

Now someone help me to stay focused when the seed catalogues arrive

staris

• Acre
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2011, 16:04:12 »
broad beans for me as well.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2011, 16:05:26 »
I have no aubergines, a thin and tasteless pepper or two, and completely blighted tomatoes.

It will save weeks of struggling to bring up healthy seedlings inside the house, and hours of planting out and feeding and watering in huge pots in sunny, sheltered corners; I'm just wiping out the whole family.

I gave up a few years back attempting to grow tomatoes outside. I had just one absolutely brilliant year and every one after that hopeless - blight got them first.

In a greenhouse fine . :) .......or maybe in a sheltered spot away from wafting spores in a home garden patch you might stand a chance.  ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2011, 16:26:57 »
Well it has to be leeks.  I was not going to bother but someone gave me some plants and they did very well but then suddenly drooped.  Moth.  Yuck.  Total wipeout all over the site.

Nearly gave up on Tomatoes but they have been brilliant this year very late but now dripping off.  Beetroot has been a failure but everyone else around has brilliant ones. 

Chard has to go too.

PSB is on a second chance all failed over last winter.  I have plans to keep it out of the wind.  And the clouds of white fly do need a home. ;D

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2011, 16:32:13 »
 ;D lol re the clouds of whitefly needing a home...they drive me crazy & always make me want to give up growing anything that they hang around but then my lotty would be very empty,lol

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2011, 16:32:57 »
Thought I was the only person who hates broadbeans...good to know Im not alone after all x jane

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2011, 16:38:11 »
I brushed past my PSB and did not watch what I was doing and breathed them in and nearly choked.  Never seen so many in my life before.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2011, 17:48:34 »
My failure to grow melons over the past 5 years has been well documented....after the disastrous optimistically named 'melon pit' experiment this year I think it is time to call it a day! ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2011, 17:59:04 »
Pentland Crown potatoes.....although they were a massive cropper....they are full of rust!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2011, 19:24:26 »
Aubergines - just not worth the effort.  Out of eight plants I ended up with six aubergines in total, 2 of which were green rather than the dark purple/black they were supposed to be.

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2011, 23:09:03 »
Marrows for me.Just dont know what to do with them.

pumkinlover

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2011, 06:36:56 »
Marrows for me.Just dont know what to do with them.

Irish marrow chutney - recipe on here somewhere - if you need me to find it. Blends to make a brown sauce :D

bedrockdave

• Half Acre
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2011, 19:01:21 »
Along with others its maincrop potatoes for me..,most of mine attacked by slugs and worms

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2011, 19:28:10 »
WEEDS.   :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

pumkinlover

lisaparkin

• Acre
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2011, 20:17:53 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal