Author Topic: Taken over plots  (Read 4912 times)

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
Taken over plots
« on: June 13, 2011, 22:31:34 »
Browsing the gallery i can't help but notice that nearly everyone who has taken over a plot has taken over a rubbish tip ! What were the associations/councils doing to let them get in this state in the first place? And well done all you who have made a go of it ! But what of the previous tennants? were they blind? stupid? lazy? It really saddens me to think there are so many people desperate to have a go at growing their own produce and willing to put the effort into it, when there are plots neglected like this. You hear of 10 year waiting lists for allotments and not being rude but lots of the plots round some of the photos look very neglected too! Just a pat on the back for all those who have worked so hard to make their plot a joy to look at and provide for themselves and their family. Well done !  :)

boydzfish

• Half Acre
Re: Taken over plots
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 23:14:43 »
Must say this is my third allotment in different areas and it is the only one I didn't have to clear :D My daughter and her partner took over one and it was in a right state, they just tarped parts of it and worked through slowly - they have split now and the allotment became too much for her but she lives some miles away for me so I couldn't really help. I suppose it is down to the individuals responsible, some are on the ball, others just pick up the money; also most allotment tenures span a whole year and nature can do lots in just 12 moths if not kept in check!! I was lucky as our local parish council split 5 allotments into 10 half ones to reduce the waiting list and, working full time, it is just about right for the time I can spend there (I do sometimes think I could manage a full one!!).
Boydzfish

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 06:47:43 »
Over the years we have taken over 7 plots. Every one has taken a lot of hard work to get cleared. I know that this won't go down well but I really do think that we should pay a deposit when we take on a plot so that if we cannot leave it tidy then the monies would cover the cost. Of course this would mean that the plot would have been tidy when we took it on.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 07:29:22 »
nature can do lots in just 12 moths if not kept in check

But nature does not plant rubbish, and it takes more than 12 months for brambles to completely take over.  Thistles, fat hen and poppies etc can very very quick but they are also not as difficult to shift.  Councils should start to take action when they see rubbish, and too many persistant type weeds.  

Rubbish breeds rubbish.  

A deposit might have to be quite high to cover the total costs of reinstatements.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:30:03 by Digeroo »

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:46:49 »
On our site, its generally the 'old boys' who leave lots of rubbish when they give up, having collected 'this might come in handy' items over many years.  We - and probably many other sites - now have effective committees who now take action before brambles etc take over but I don't know what action we would be able to take against people having 'might be useful' items on their plot.   
For there to be sufficient money to clear a plot, the deposit would need to be high and this would be dificult for those on low incomes - we recently had to have a skip just to clear one plot holders plot of forty years of accumulated rubbish - cost of the skip was over £100 and it took several of our committee several hours to clear.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 07:51:59 »
A lot of the sites in my town are bordered by houses.  Because it had got to the state on a lot of sites of 5% plot holder 95% shoulder high weeds.  Everyone took it that they could use them as rubbish dumps.  A lot of the time you didn't no the stuff was there till the tenant started clearing it.  I've got to be fair to our allotment officer's past and present when the rubbish was uncovered they have always clear it away, eventually.  Even now on our site we had a clear up in the spring to remove mattress/drink cans/ tree branches etc  and our site is 80% of plots being worked.  We have now involved environmental health department because we have 1 dirty person throwing dog poo/grass cuttings over her fence on to one plot that is being worked!!! Hopefully they will receive an hefty fine and it will be put in the papers, it will make others take note that this sort of thing is not exceptable. I do think a deposit paid and returned when the person leaves is a good idea.  I've found on our site the fly tipping is no longer the problem it use to be as the site as more plots being worked. Unfortunately this is the real world we deal with and there will always be those that don't respect their environment.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 18:45:40 »
Mine is a tip.... the previous tennant has been evicted for not working it.. you may just make out 5 sweetcorn plants about 2' high!!

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 23:29:26 »
Browsing the gallery i can't help but notice that nearly everyone who has taken over a plot has taken over a rubbish tip ! What were the associations/councils doing to let them get in this state in the first place?

I am allotment supervisor for our site and your assumption that associations and councils do nothing about overgrown plots is so far from the truth for our site.

1.  Sometimes a good tenant who may have been working their plot for years,  informs me that they are going to hospital for an operation and will be out of action  for 3 months for example.  This is placed on file for when neighbouring plotholders may complain.  We do not chase the tenant during this period providing we have been informed in advance.  After the timeframe, sometimes the tenant may decide to give up the plot as their health may of deteriorated beyond their means of being able to return to allotmenteering.   The plot is allocated in the condition it is returned and new tenants whip it in to shape providing they are enthusiastic enough.

2.  New tenants are given 3 months probation from the day of allocation as per council rules and regulations.  They cannot be evicted during this time and they are left to their own devices to work the plot within this time limits.  If work has not been completed during probation, then the tenant is informed of termination of tenancy and the plot is re-allocated within one week.

3.  Lastly, we have existing tenants who may let their plot become overgrown.  They are contacted to check if there are any reasons for the plots condition.  Some may be nursing a family member who is terminally ill.  Others clear the overgrowth.  Those who do not are sent a warning letter allowing 28 days to clean up the plot.  If it has not been cleaned then we have to send a second letter allowing them a further 28 days to remove any personal belongings before I am allowed to allocate.  The plot is then re-allocated within one week of the final 28 day period.

So as you can now see, it is not always straight forward or fair  to kick people off for overgrown plots.  The circumstances as to why need to be looked at first
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 00:14:05 »
My take on this.
I took over an overgrown allotment last August.Since then the plots either side of me have been empty.The rents were due
last October.The council have lost a member of staff so now there is 1/2 a person dealing with all of the boroughs sites.Letters were supposedly sent out re overgrown sites in May yet nothing has happened.Lo and behold people are now being shown around empty sites since the rent is due 1st October.
The point of my rant,so long as the council get their rent they do not give a toss,in my borough site inspections etc will not be carried out and that is why plots are taken on with 6 foot weeds.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 22:12:04 »
From your last post it would appear the problem is that your council run the site.  We are self managed so are more pro-active.  Would you have enough support from plot holders to go self managed?  It also keeps our rents to less than 1/2 what council run ones charge in our area.   There was speculation previously, that some councils were letting sites fall into disarray so they could put forward a case of the land not being used so they could sell it.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

coastiefrank

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 18:29:16 »
Hi,
Having just lost the use of my partners garden - she's let the house, I have acquired my first allotment plot.  We are a small independant group in a small village just outside Wadebridge in Cornwall and it's only been running for a little under a year.  The AGM is in a fortnight.
I have the impression that the whole site was tilled prior to being divided into plots and my one was dug over once and then left.  Carpet has been put down to stop weeds so I guess my first job will be to lift it and dig ib some manure.  I have a lady friend who has loads of donkey manure that she will let me have.
Happy gardening to you all.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 19:40:56 »
hello coastiefrank welcome i am just out side of Bodmin the  st Austell side( not far as the crow fly) enjoy your allotment and slowly does it

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal