Author Topic: Grumpy woman's rant...  (Read 33150 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Grumpy woman's rant...
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2011, 10:42:05 »
As a grumpy woman who chooses not to eat meat married to a total meat addict, hopefully that qualifies me to comment  ;D....all I could think about reading the last bit of this thread was a classic episode of 'Mock The Week', the bit at the end where they have to 'spontaneously' had to come up with 'Something you would never hear said in a restaurant'.

Frankie Boyle :"Yes sir, there is a vegetarian option...you can f**k off!"  ;D ;D ;D

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2011, 13:04:51 »
Thought this was Gumpy woman's rant anyway ;D

.....but we seem to have lots of grumpy ole men!
Grow yer bugger grow!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2011, 15:56:17 »
However, bear in mind what made us smarter than the rest of the  lifeforms here was cooking and eating meat, and we've had at least 12 million years as primates to adapt to it. The other point here is that modern vegetables are nothing like the sort of vegetables that were kicking around 3+ milliion years ago. Todays vegatables have been highly selectively cultivated to massively increase there nutritional value. If you tried being vegetarian 12 milliion years ago, you'd have a very short, sickly life, but no problem getting a job as a size zero model................

I thought it was the ability to control fire, and the use of tools that gave humans the evolutionary advantage?

and is it 12 million years, or 3 million years, there's a little difference in the 2 figures you quote!!

Goldfish have been shown to use tools, along with Dolhins, almost every species of bird, Whales, and practically every Primate and many other mammals from squirrels to marmosets.  The  point was because we developed a bigger brain, we coudl make better tools, including weapons for hunting. And therfore develop hunting strategies that provided many days food for many people in one go, rather than wasting large amounts of energy foraging for nuts, fruit and berries every day.

And controlling Fire was a product of having a bigger brain, not a cause of it.

The difference is we have a large frontal lobe, which controls all sorts of advanced functions, and a Broca's area, which controls speech. Even chimps dont have much of a Brocas Area, which is why they couldnt speak even if they had the vocal equipment to.  And it was the high nutrition diet from switching to meat eating that must have been one of the main causes of the massive development of human brains. There wer eother contributory factors as well, such as the move away from brachiation and quadropedism.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 15:58:44 by lincsyokel2 »
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2011, 15:59:48 »
And it was the high nutrition diet from switching to meat eating that must have been one of the main causes of the massive development of human brains.

must have? are you an evolutionary biologist, perchance?

and you missed the opportunity to respond to the slight difference in timespan, 3milion years vs 12 million years.
you really must try harder ;)
You couldn't make it up!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2011, 16:11:04 »
There wer eother contributory factors as well, such as the move away from brachiation and quadropedism.

Now I know why my dog is useless with a spanner when the car needs fixing, but loves tightening his own nuts.

edited at 16.30 reason for editing forgot smiley but then I thought it ain't that funny so left it out again
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 16:17:09 by ACE »

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2011, 16:44:30 »
And it was the high nutrition diet from switching to meat eating that must have been one of the main causes of the massive development of human brains.

must have? are you an evolutionary biologist, perchance?

and you missed the opportunity to respond to the slight difference in timespan, 3milion years vs 12 million years.
you really must try harder ;)

Hominims are evolved from the Catarrhines, the earliest known catarrhine is Kamoyapithecus,  from a specimen found at Eragaleit in the northern Kenya Rift Valley, dated to 24 million years ago, which puts it in the Oligicene. So pick any point from there up to the appearance of Paranthropus aethiopicus 3 million years ago as the starting point of human development.

You need to do a lot more research on the subject before you even begin to look like you might know what you are talking about.......................

No im not an evolutionary biologists, but  I am vastly better read on the subject than you apparantly are:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=cooking-up-bigger-brains
http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pbio.0030050
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2008/04/eating-meat-led-to-smaller-stomachs-bigger-brains/

Sorry, i cant find a link to one done in crayon, using pictures, you'll just have to plough through the long 3 syllable words.

Im not a Chef, but I excel at indian, thai, japanese and vietnamese cookery, and im not Black, but i play ragtime guitar.  You analogy was banal, and entirely unsuprising, it was nearly along the lines of  " 'e 'asnt go any fookin' kids, wot the  'ell does 'e know abaht it?".............
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 17:10:40 by lincsyokel2 »

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2011, 17:09:25 »
syllabul  sp?
 :-X

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2011, 17:10:09 »
Back to the rant. My bug is people like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txp19ZNtFn8

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2011, 17:12:51 »
Still the care system and the people who pay out the keep the student loan money for the interest !!!!!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2011, 19:49:49 »
No im not an evolutionary biologists, but  I am vastly better read on the subject than you apparantly are:

when I took my degree in science, we at least had to be able to spell words like 'apparently' LOL

You couldn't make it up!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2011, 19:53:06 »
Manics...I know someone who has not had the loan through...his Dad will be paying his rent,money he does not have really. >:(

What is going on ??

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #151 on: October 13, 2011, 19:57:46 »
My son in law started his second year, he's 33, got a wife and 2 children and they put his forms in in march, still hasn't come through. Luckily, my daughter is a nurse and very good at managing but he has to use his car to get to uni and has a few hours work, it is putting their family under a great strain. He has been told it will be after half term now . There are courses to do with his degree he has to book and they just haven't got any spare cash  :-\
Just don't know how to help, they're too big for us to go see the school

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2011, 21:04:42 »
However, bear in mind what made us smarter than the rest of the  lifeforms here was cooking and eating meat, and we've had at least 12 million years as primates to adapt to it. The other point here is that modern vegetables are nothing like the sort of vegetables that were kicking around 3+ milliion years ago. Todays vegatables have been highly selectively cultivated to massively increase there nutritional value. If you tried being vegetarian 12 milliion years ago, you'd have a very short, sickly life, but no problem getting a job as a size zero model................

Speech is not entirely controlled/formulated in the Brocas area of the brain. There are also well recorded research papers on chimps/Bonobos who can use sign in a creative way to generate new/expanded meaning.

Modern vegetarians are well nourished and proven to be less prevalent to many serious conditions, including Bowel Cancers.

They are as intellectually diverse as omnivores, and are not any more prone to being size zero models.

As with any person, so called category of person...they are diverse...just like any other so-called category.

This was an interesting article
http://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/09/us/new-testing-on-fossil-remains-indicates-prehistoric-man-ate-balanced-diet.html

Jackie

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2011, 21:12:29 »
No im not an evolutionary biologists, but  I am vastly better read on the subject than you apparantly are:

when I took my degree in science, we at least had to be able to spell words like 'apparently' LOL

See, on every forum, theres always the Internet Grammar Nazi. The guy who has no debating skills, beyond picking holes in the keyboarding. It is indeed the most pathetic way to try and look clever there is, because in the end, its like going to Nuclear Disarmament Treaty negotiation and arguing about the coffee, and it deserves a meme, of which im quite happy to supply.  Enjoy.

Grammar Nazi.

Noun:Grammar Nazi(plural Grammar Nazis).
Slang; A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language(s) or spelling(s) used by other people, especially in situations where it is unnecessary e.g. an informal conversation or forum.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 21:40:45 by lincsyokel2 »

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2011, 21:46:44 »
That sucks ??? hope he gets help, its wrong when a person is trying to better there life and the future for there family I feel sorry for him,our daughter went though the same type of thing, she did get through it ,has a good job now,best of luck.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2011, 22:10:00 »

See, on every forum, theres always the Internet Grammar Nazi. The guy who has no debating skills, beyond picking holes in the keyboarding. It is indeed the most pathetic way to try and look clever there is.........

Sometimes there are quite a few of us on here who are not the least bit concerned with trying to impress others.

Many of us, I believe, visit for a little bit of a chat and light relief not to impress, trumpet play or inform everyone else how wonderful we are.

But there again you will no doubt know differently.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2011, 22:14:59 »
That sucks ??? hope he gets help, its wrong when a person is trying to better there life and the future for there family I feel sorry for him,our daughter went though the same type of thing, she did get through it ,has a good job now,best of luck.
Thanks, claybasket  :)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2011, 22:45:27 »
Manics, that's just pants :( Hope they get it sorted soon.
Jackie

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2011, 23:04:17 »

See, on every forum, theres always the Internet Grammar Nazi. The guy who has no debating skills, beyond picking holes in the keyboarding. It is indeed the most pathetic way to try and look clever there is.........

Many of us, I believe, visit for a little bit of a chat and light relief not to impress, trumpet play or inform everyone else how wonderful we are.

Ah, so you dont think thats the object of picking up on trivial typos "oh look at me, im smart, i picked up a trivial typo, even tho I had no idea what the rest of the post was about...."?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2011, 23:21:04 »
Call a truce lads...............please :-*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal