Author Topic: Grumpy woman's rant...  (Read 33156 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Grumpy woman's rant...
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2011, 13:11:36 »
I enjoy meat and don't think vegetarians are much more ethical than me - unless they avoid dairy and the astonishingly cruel practices associated with it (far worse than beef or sheep farming). Still, different people are veggies for different reasons - many just don't like the thought of eating flesh.

BUT... that's my view and I respect anyone else's ethical decisions. I don't feel that I have the right to expect someone to do something they're uncomfortable with. It's quite likely that as a flesh avoider, you don't like handling flesh. I can't imagine being such a rude guest to expect someone to do something they're not comfortable with just to give me something for which I have no real dietary need.

Anyway, it's nice to go without meat now & again - I love cooking for veggie friends to expand my cooking repertoire.

Oh, and if I organised a hog roast then the vegetarian option would be the bap with a lettuce leaf.

pumkinlover

« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2011, 13:16:36 »
we did a fund raiser,a hog roast and beer.We had lots more customers than expected and we volunteers were rushed off our feet.A group of veggies started to complain to me that there was no veggie option.One was never advertised and they were quite rude really.While sweating to keep up was in no mood for them trying to spoil the nice atmosphere of the day.

Does beg the question -why would a vegetarian go to a hog roast?
Ill tell you something else that pees me off.

Vegetarians expect you to accomadate there needs and cook a special meal for them, but if you go to a vegetarians to eat, they wont go out there way and cook meat for you, you get palmed off with more vegetarian rubbish. I think thats the ultimate in selfish..........

We're not all like that! 

-we mostly grow vegetables on this forum and a good vegetarian meal is harder to make than a meat one, at least in my opinion. As you are not reliant on the meat to make the meal tasty.  I do not like bought in vegy burgers or anything like that, but to make a good vegy chilli burger with own produce takes more time and skill than a meat alternative.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 16:31:05 by pumpkinlover »

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2011, 14:09:33 »
we did a fund raiser,a hog roast and beer.We had lots more customers than expected and we volunteers were rushed off our feet.A group of veggies started to complain to me that there was no veggie option.One was never advertised and they were quite rude really.While sweating to keep up was in no mood for them trying to spoil the nice atmosphere of the day.

Does be the question -why would a vegetarian go to a hog roast?
Ill tell you something else that pees me off.

Vegetarians expect you to accomadate there needs and cook a special meal for them, but if you go to a vegetarians to eat, they wont go out there way and cook meat for you, you get palmed off with more vegetarian rubbish. I think thats the ultimate in selfish..........

We're not all like that!  

-we mostly grow vegetables on this forum and a good vegetarian meal is harder to make than a meat one, at least in my opinion. As you are not reliant on the meat to make the meal tasty.  I do not like bought in vegy burgers or anything like that, but to make a good vegy chilli burger with own produce takes more time and skill than a meat alternative.

its not a case of that, its a case of if i go to the trouble to accomadate a vegatarians feeding habits , then when they feed me I expect them to accomadate mine, and I eat meat, thank you very much.  I showed them courtesy by making an effort, i expect them to reciprocate and make a similar effort for me. Its the definition of a good host. Fobbing me off with a vegetarian meal is unacceptable.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 14:12:04 by lincsyokel2 »
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2011, 14:52:36 »
Discovering, when you go for a shower, that OH has stored 20 golf bags in the bathroom...................

20 golf bags, really! ;D ;D ;D

My current moans are verbal 'Americanisms' generally, but three in particular make my hackles rise.....

1) Being called a 'guy' as in 'Are you guys ready to order yet?' Sloppy, lazy and blooming incorrect as well, as I am a lady....

2) The response to 'How are you' ....which has somehow universally become 'Good'...Arrrrgh! It is 'I'm fine thank you' or not if you're not of course.

3) The phrase 'Can I get'....used instead of 'Please can I have', or 'I would like', as in 'Can I get a cup of coffee'...also usually neglecting to say please as well. I always reply 'I don't know, can you? Are you capable ?'

Rant over, I am now officially a moany old woman and do not give a jot! ;D
We Americans are also fed up to here with Americanisms. Even the news people are saying, "Back to you, guys," and have picked up a Britishism (I believe it is yours) "Miss __ has gone missing." When did gone missing become correct? Whenever one of our grands visits I get into usage battles with the word "like" which she uses at least once in each lengthy sentence to which I respond "No like".  I'm sure I'll go down in her memory as the fussy old GrannieAnnie who corrected her ignorant English (well, American) all the time :-[
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2011, 16:46:56 »
 > LY2
its not a case of that, its a case of if i go to the trouble to accomadate a vegatarians feeding habits , then when they feed me I expect them to accomadate mine, and I eat meat, thank you very much.  I showed them courtesy by making an effort, i expect them to reciprocate and make a similar effort for me. Its the definition of a good host. Fobbing me off with a vegetarian meal is unacceptable.

you ignored this post?

Ollie C
I don't feel that I have the right to expect someone to do something they're uncomfortable with. It's quite likely that as a flesh avoider, you don't like handling flesh. I can't imagine being such a rude guest to expect someone to do something they're not comfortable with just to give me something for which I have no real dietary need.

You couldn't make it up!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2011, 17:36:39 »
> LY2
its not a case of that, its a case of if i go to the trouble to accomadate a vegatarians feeding habits , then when they feed me I expect them to accomadate mine, and I eat meat, thank you very much.  I showed them courtesy by making an effort, i expect them to reciprocate and make a similar effort for me. Its the definition of a good host. Fobbing me off with a vegetarian meal is unacceptable.

you ignored this post?

no, the first part of my reply is the clue............

Ollie C
I don't feel that I have the right to expect someone to do something they're uncomfortable with. It's quite likely that as a flesh avoider, you don't like handling flesh. I can't imagine being such a rude guest to expect someone to do something they're not comfortable with just to give me something for which I have no real dietary need.

No one needs to be vegetarian, its neither a biological necessity nor in most cases a medical necessity, ergo forcing someone to eat something they prefer not to, and being  unwilling to accomodate them after they previously accomodated you is the hieght of being a inconsiderate selfish host.

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2011, 17:51:25 »
LY - any chance of you getting yourself on Come Dine With Me? I'd enjoy watching that one...

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2011, 17:59:39 »
I like vegetarians!
I couldn't eat a whole one though..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2011, 18:32:53 »
LY - any chance of you getting yourself on Come Dine With Me? I'd enjoy watching that one...

Are you watching the current Celebrity one ?

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2011, 21:19:34 »
Something that makes me rant is carnivores that assume all vegetarians are the same :)

I cook meat for my husband and guest but do not eat meat myself.

I bring my own option to places where there is unlikely to be a veg option. Basic manners if its a charity event

Jackie

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2011, 22:03:39 »
Something that makes me rant is carnivores that assume all vegetarians are the same :)

I bring my own option to places where there is unlikely to be a veg option. Basic manners if its a charity event

Im not a Carnivore. Im an Omnivore. Thats another false assuption vegetarians make.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2011, 22:11:38 »
What a storm in a teacup this vegetarian issue is!

(I don't find veg cooking tricksy or hard btw. It's just the same thing really without the meat. Getting meat absolutely right can be much harder especially if some like it blue some like it well-done! ;D ;D ;D)

If you're like me you only invite friends for dinner - veggie or not - and I don't usually invite the same friends more than once every month/couple of months. So if you're not happy with the menu, you could discuss it with them and/or offer to bring something to suit your type of eating.

As above but decide to meet at a restaurant where all sorts of food are available.

You could accept that a veg option once in a while isn't so bad. (personally I have about 2 veg days a week because having an allotment means I have a lot of veg to get through)

You could tell them you never want to see them again - you prefer meat/ veg.

If you're really unhappy you need to do something. This is actually one area where you can make things better ................ ............  or worse!!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2011, 22:14:29 »

Im not a Carnivore. Im an Omnivore. Thats another false assuption vegetarians make.

Oh lighten up...it was a joke!!!! Hence the smiley!!!!!!!
Jackie

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2011, 22:17:51 »
You are correct, no one needs to be a vegetarian. No one needs to be an omnivore...its about choice.  I respect others choices and friends respect mine.
Jackie

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2011, 00:13:26 »
Personally I'm just so very thankful that all of us are lucky enough to have choice about what we will or will not eat each and every day.

Imagine having nothing to choose from.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2011, 02:11:25 »
You are correct, no one needs to be a vegetarian. No one needs to be an omnivore...its about choice.  I respect others choices and friends respect mine.
erm, actually a friend of mine is meat-intolerant, it gives him all sorts of stomach problems when he eats meat. he does eat dairy products and fish, though.
You couldn't make it up!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2011, 07:24:57 »
erm, actually a friend of mine is meat-intolerant, it gives him all sorts of stomach problems when he eats meat. he does eat dairy products and fish, though.

That's a real shame :(  If you want some veggie recipes when he's coming for dinner, feel free to give me a shout.
Jackie

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2011, 09:51:50 »

But thats a medical problem, and like I said, no one needs to be vegetarian barring medical problems.

However, bear in mind what made us smarter than the rest of the  lifeforms here was cooking and eating meat, and we've had at least 12 million years as primates to adapt to it. The other point here is that modern vegetables are nothing like the sort of vegetables that were kicking around 3+ milliion years ago. Todays vegatables have been highly selectively cultivated to massively increase there nutritional value. If you tried being vegetarian 12 milliion years ago, you'd have a very short, sickly life, but no problem getting a job as a size zero model................

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2011, 10:28:23 »
However, bear in mind what made us smarter than the rest of the  lifeforms here was cooking and eating meat, and we've had at least 12 million years as primates to adapt to it. The other point here is that modern vegetables are nothing like the sort of vegetables that were kicking around 3+ milliion years ago. Todays vegatables have been highly selectively cultivated to massively increase there nutritional value. If you tried being vegetarian 12 milliion years ago, you'd have a very short, sickly life, but no problem getting a job as a size zero model................

I thought it was the ability to control fire, and the use of tools that gave humans the evolutionary advantage?

and is it 12 million years, or 3 million years, there's a little difference in the 2 figures you quote!!
You couldn't make it up!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2011, 10:33:10 »
Thought this was Gumpy woman's rant anyway ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal