Author Topic: Does anyboby miss Woolworths ?  (Read 13858 times)

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
Re: Does anyboby miss Woolworths ?
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 11:41:35 »
I loved all the old shops but especially Boots Library, what happened to that? I still have a couple of treasured books which were sold off by them.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 20:18:10 »
I think Manics usually announces when they're in stock at Lidls etc. I'm sure we can let you know Tomatoada ;).

Yes please.  Will keep a lookout for info. on the bargains site.  Thankyou.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 10:00:51 »
Totally forgot about the record dept DebP,I can remember buying ""Tiger feet" by Mud about 73/74 and doing that inane dance where you held on to your waistband and sort of head banged at the same time to the rhythm...and yes im 51 and old........as gazza creaked out of the post and left stage right.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 16:22:50 »
I lived in Sincil Street 48 years ago when the market was there. Two stupid railway lines always making me wait about. Can't remember the shops apart from the butchers shop I had a flat above, smiths crisps down by the gas works and  the saturday night hop in the coop halls. But I can remember the natives, nosey awkward sods, I put it down to most of them all having reserved occupations during the war and non of them ever leaving the county.
Didn't stay that long, if the world was going to have piles, there's a good chance  they would be in Lincoln.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 17:16:26 »
I lived in Sincil Street 48 years ago when the market was there. Two stupid railway lines always making me wait about. Can't remember the shops apart from the butchers shop I had a flat above, smiths crisps down by the gas works and  the saturday night hop in the coop halls. But I can remember the natives, nosey awkward sods, I put it down to most of them all having reserved occupations during the war and non of them ever leaving the county.
Didn't stay that long, if the world was going to have piles, there's a good chance  they would be in Lincoln.

The market is about half the size now, they nkicked a chunk to build another Mall. The Fish Market on the other side has also gone, its now a row of boring shops.

Smiths Crisps is now Walkers, they make Quavers there. No one who has ever worked ther eeats Quavers ever again.

If it wasnt for the Engineering expertise in Lincoln during the wars, we wouldnt have had half a chance to win - the tank was developed here in WW1, as was vast numbers of Sopwith Camels (in fact, I know the guy who now owns all the production records). Lincoln was the home of some of the finest engineering companies to emerge from the Victorian Industrial revolution. At one stage, 60,000 people out of a town of 120,000 worked for an engineering company of some sort. Rustons, Bucyrus, Proctors, Clayton and Shuttleworth, all names legendary in engineering, all from Lincoln
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 17:27:11 »
How lovely to hear names I had forgotten, like Macfisheries. My old infant school was knocked down and they built a Priceright supermarket on the site. Whatever happened to them?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 17:34:14 »
Was supposed to go to rustons for a job but sod that for a game of marbles. Built wimpy houses just out of town instead. In fairness you do have a wonderful cathedral and there was a traditional steam fairground once that set up near sincil bank.

There was a little tailors shop  near one of the railway crossings that would make you a suit of your own design in two days for about 8 quid and as we use to dress like peacocks in them days for a night out in Boston, I would get one made every month. But back to Woolworths, does anybody know why Littlewoods with a great cafeteria was always built beside them.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 18:25:04 »
Was supposed to go to rustons for a job but sod that for a game of marbles. Built wimpy houses just out of town instead. In fairness you do have a wonderful cathedral and there was a traditional steam fairground once that set up near sincil bank.

There was a little tailors shop  near one of the railway crossings that would make you a suit of your own design in two days for about 8 quid and as we use to dress like peacocks in them days for a night out in Boston, I would get one made every month. But back to Woolworths, does anybody know why Littlewoods with a great cafeteria was always built beside them.

Ah, you mean the post war building boom at North Hykeham? I grew up there!!! You may well have built the houses I played in!!

The Fair still turns up in April and October on the South Common, but 'fair' is something of a misnomer..........

The Tailors you mention used to make RAF Uniforms, and suits as a sideline, after nerly 70 years they shut shop not long ago - no demand for RAF Uniforms, and couldnt compete with cheap supermarket suits.

Littlewoods was built on the site of one of the 13 cinemas there was in Lincoln, its now a Primark. Littlewoods Cafe was epic, one of the first of its kind, to challenge Woolworths Cafe ( i still have a Woolworths Tea Spoon) and the Lyons Corner House cafe.

Do you remember WIMPYBURGER down the side of the High Bridge?

My G'father was an Apprentice at Rustons, and then joined the Navy,  and was Chief mechanic on the HMS Pegasus when it picked up the survivors of the Hood when it was sunk by the Bismark in 1942. My father was also a Rustons Apprentice, started 1938 and ended up as Chief Development Engineer until they broke it up and moved it all to Staffordshire.

This is not unusual, it was commonplace to find entire familes where all the men worked for Rustons or Claytons, over 3 generations.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 18:26:52 by lincsyokel2 »

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 18:29:48 »
Linkslocal,
                    What about the old racecourse is it still just a dilapidated area of grass and an old grandstand,

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 21:03:09 »
Linkslocal,
                    What about the old racecourse is it still just a dilapidated area of grass and an old grandstand,

Well yes. The grandstand got rebuilt and is used for music concerts, and theres stables at the back for free horse poo, but otherwsise  Lincoln Racecourse is a straight and a bend and thats it   :(

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2011, 21:19:37 »
Is Steep Hill still steep?Almost need climbing gear LOL

Is Louth still lovely?One of my fave places.

DoThe Masons Arms still serve a wonderful lunch..............

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2011, 21:56:01 »
Is Steep Hill still steep?Almost need climbing gear LOL

Is Louth still lovely?One of my fave places.

DoThe Masons Arms still serve a wonderful lunch..............

Steep Hill

If you've never been to lincoln, this hill is a killer, it goes up 250 feet in height in about 300 yards. Its lethal to walk down. Its been 30 years since I could run to the top of Steep Hill.

One section of this was the last remaining example in the world of a Saxon slate pathway, except it didnt fit in with all the rest of the nice new cobble they laid, so to there eternal shame they snuck up one sunday morning with a JCB and ripped it up knowing everyone was in bed and they could get it all in a skip before anyone could object.

I met the current Mrs Lincsyokel in Louth, she ran a restuarant there. Louth is a genteel Middle England country town. Nothing ever happens there.

The Masons Arms, as far as I know is now defunct. Not only that, so is West End Chippy, possibly the finest chip shop in england. Its now run by a greek who fries chips in olive oil and wonders why people hate the taste.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 22:10:52 by lincsyokel2 »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2011, 22:12:35 »
Sad.

The past is a different country,they do things differently there.

Something like that  :)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2011, 22:13:06 »
Was Steep Hill the hill in the film Far from the Madding Crowd that Fanny, Sgt Troy's pregnant girlfriend climbed to get to the workhouse?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2011, 22:15:12 »
Think it was Dorset,not sure though.

pumkinlover

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 22:17:29 »
We cook our chips in olive oil and they are fantastic!!!! ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 22:19:36 »
Posh int ya ?  ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2011, 22:20:57 »
If we was posh we would have french fries- or greek fries ;)

pumkinlover

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 22:21:53 »
Have we ever had a best potato for chips thread on here?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2011, 22:24:28 »
Think we have........arely eat them these days though.

Me RRRRRRRRRRRRRR keeps sticking ,driving me nuts .

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal