Author Topic: "Ghosting" or someone is pinching my credits  (Read 3447 times)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
"Ghosting" or someone is pinching my credits
« on: October 03, 2011, 23:22:42 »
In July I put a fiver on my mobile phone.  After a few days I received a text to say I had 50p although I hadn’t made any calls.  As I hardly use the thing I left it until the night I was to go away and put another fiver on.  I received the text to say the fiver was on then a load of other spam texts.  The next thing I knew I received a further text from Orange to tell me I had 50p leaft.  I contacted Orange (India?) to be told that they would check – was put on hold until the line went dead.  I rang again to be told by another operator that all their computers were “down” and there was nothing they could do but she would ring me back at 3 the following day.  Needless to say I have heard nothing. 

Any ideas what I should do as I refuse to waste any more money.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: "Ghosting" or someone is pinching my credits
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 23:39:54 »
Is it a smart phone - some of them have a habit of updating via the mobile network unless you specifically change the settings not to.

Or are you subscribed to any kind of premium service that sends you expensive texts - horoscopes, weather forecasts etc. etc.

You need to call Orange again and get the numbers that have chewed up your credit.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 00:49:23 »
Is it a smart phone - some of them have a habit of updating via the mobile network unless you specifically change the settings not to.

Or are you subscribed to any kind of premium service that sends you expensive texts - horoscopes, weather forecasts etc. etc.

You need to call Orange again and get the numbers that have chewed up your credit.

With VirginMobile you can log on to your account on-line and view recent calls/texts and payments.
Is it possible to do the same with Orange?

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 08:14:08 »
I would get a new SIM card & be done with it as you say you dont use it very often x jane

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 08:33:20 »
....  I received the text to say the fiver was on then a load of other spam texts.  The next thing I knew I received a further text from Orange to tell me I had 50p leaft.  ....

Almost certainly this "load of spam texts" is costing you money.  You've subscribed, perhaps unconsciously, to a service that charges you to receive their texts. 

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 09:00:05 »
Yes just get a new sim from an Orange shop.  Should be free.  Almost certainly you've unwittingly subscribed to a pay per spam text.
Best laid plans and all that

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 09:16:39 »
You can register online with orange (on a computer not on you phone) and you can get quite detailed information about what your costs are.

Don't bother with customer services, pop into an orange shop, they will be more helpfull.
Like everybody else, sounds to be like you are receiving preimum texts, you put on £5, you probably then receive 3 texts, each charged at £1.50 leaving you with 50p credit.

If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 09:26:53 »
My OH kept signing up for pay per text messages.  I habitually was having to stop them.  Finally contacted Vodafone who said there was nothing they could do, but finally pulled the disabled card and got them stopped that way.  I presume that Orange also have the facility to get them stopped.  Though luckily called to vodafone are free from a vodafone phone otherwise it would have cost a fortune.  After even more fuss we even got the payments refunded. 

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 11:22:35 »
if your phone is unlocked get a new sim card from ASDA mobile, 10p a min and 8p a text any network

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 17:16:08 »
if your phone is unlocked get a new sim card from ASDA mobile, 10p a min and 8p a text any network

That's pretty good! Shame our nearest Asda is soooo far away.  :(

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 17:25:06 »
i think you can buy sim card on line from ASDA
http://www.asdamobile.com/compare_tariffs.html

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 18:25:04 »
There was athing about this on a  consumer programme recently.  Some fancier phones automatically poll internet services for messages and connections as you move about and this drains your credit.   If you don't want to have internet access on the move, you need to talk to your service provider to cancel it and use it only from home.
Obxx - Vendée France

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 18:33:02 »
A fancy phone... if only.  Mine is a state of the Ark phone, just does phone calls and texts (I think).

pumkinlover

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 19:48:45 »
A fancy phone... if only.  Mine is a state of the Ark phone, just does phone calls and texts (I think).

;D ;D ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 23:51:35 »
A fancy phone... if only.  Mine is a state of the Ark phone, just does phone calls and texts (I think).

;D ;D ;D

Mine does all of that and it has an alarm clock, a "torch" and a huge big battery as well as the aerial thingy.  ;)

I'm waiting for the next Antique Road Show to come our way.  ;D

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 00:41:30 »

;D ;D ;D

Mine does all of that and it has an alarm clock, a "torch" and a huge big battery as well as the aerial thingy.  ;)

I'm waiting for the next Antique Road Show to come our way.  ;D

Psht

Mine has a saw, a pair of scissors and a thing for taking stones out of horses hooves.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal