Author Topic: I have a frozen shoulder ...  (Read 6842 times)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
I have a frozen shoulder ...
« on: September 25, 2011, 18:01:29 »
... and it's driving me crazy!

Has anybody else suffered this horrid condition?  I've had it now for about eight or nine weeks for no reason at all - it just started coming on over a series of days before the rot set in!

I went to the docs after about three weeks of realising what it might be and that it wasn't going to get better on it's own and the locum said, 'oh yes, frozen shoulder' and gave me anti-inflams and said stick a hot water bottle on it!  I went back to see my own doctor after a couple of weeks because my movement is becoming more and more restricted - and the pain!!  He swapped my tablets (no better) and said I'd be referred to a physio.  Well, that was over two weeks ago and I've not heard anything since.  Is it too early to start moaning at somebody? 

I can't lift my arm up, out, back, round or pretty much anywhere properly any more.  I can't put pressure on it, pull things toward me (even a window shut!) put on my clothes - or even do up my bra! The slightest bit of effort has me shrieking. Getting out of the car the other day I banged it against the roof and I could have rolled up in a ball and cried the pain was so bad.  Top half of my arm keeps throbbing and now the lower half has started to feel uncomfortable too.  I'm not the sort of person who would normally suffer from injuries (it comes with suffering from idolness, LOL) but man, this is doing me in.   Does this sound like a frozen shoulder or could it be something else?

I'm so unhappy that it's feeling worse and worse that I've picked up a leaflet from the local leisure centre today for a physio based there and I'm going to give him a ring tomorrow and see if he can fit me in!

Does anybody have any experience or tips that they've tried themselves to help things along or perhaps some exercies given to do at home?

Apologies for the whinging but today seems to be the day it's officially got me down, LOL.  Good job I can still manoeuvre chocolate to my mouth is all I can say ... :P ;D

betula

• Hectare
Re: I have a frozen shoulder ...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 18:11:37 »
Can't give you advice except to say if you can afford it get to a physio as quick as you can.

Sorry you are suffering such awful pain.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 18:30:21 »
Aw Sam poor you my OH had it a couple of years ago and it was dreadful.
What about a chiropractor ? I had help from one a few years ago.
sanity is overated

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 18:33:42 »
Can't give any advice Sam but hope you soon get it sorted.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 18:52:00 »
I know what you're going through. I had it earlier this year. I was in agony and woke up several times a night screaming with the pain. My chiropractor had several sessions with me - not cheap, but worth it - and eventually it's gone.

It's a trapped nerve, so anything which can relax it will help. Painkillers are a last resort, but work. I found whisky very helpful as well.... Biofreeze is fantastic (without the side effects of whisky!!).

But - horrid though it is - it's not terminally serious and will pass. (I didn't believe that either!!)

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 18:57:11 »
Oh you poor thing!

I'm seeing my daughter tomorrow night - (she's an osteopath) - so I'll ask if she can suggest anything that might help. In the meantime, instead of the hot water bottle, try applying an ice pack - (a big packet of frozen peas is good for a shoulder) - quite often cold is better than heat for an inflammatory condition and it can do no harm. xxx

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 19:01:54 »
Infra-red lamps can work wonders.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 19:02:51 »
I had a painful swollen knee & GP said cold not heat but not to use frozen peas. He said ice cubes inside a couple of plastic bags. I used the ice making bags & they worked a treat. Tee fear of the cold was definitely worse than the reality.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 19:05:51 »
Don't be too brave...get the painkillers sorted with your doctor. The physio refused to treat me as pain relief not in place, she was spot on as other Doc and physio said you need to keep it moving as much as you can bear and gave me anti-inflammatories and painkillers. Without the painkillers I woke up if I even moved that arm. I later got a steroid injection.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhesive_capsulitis_of_shoulder

Two years on 90% better :)
Jackie

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 19:07:29 »
I agree with the cold not hot approach as the guy I saw said the same.He used to twist me about something awful but it was never painful and afterwards I felt fab.
sanity is overated

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 19:11:40 »
Chiropractor is good  but as TrevorD says can be pricey.
Fortnight wait for physio is about standard as a minimum I am afraid :(
I fnd the hot/cold pack to be best - more expensive than peas but you can re use it! Also nice and flexible, always wrap in a damp tea towel or old flannel.  It really helps ( useful for tropical moments too for anyone of THAT age!!!!)

In summer I take one to bed!

Oh and like  Hector says and those little travel pillows help when sitting.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 19:25:16 by pumpkinlover »

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 19:19:44 »
Forgot to say, oh got me a v shaped pillow which was a godsend for stopping me rolling onto bad side :)
Jackie

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 19:34:54 »
SL - I feel your pain and frustration.  Mine was mild in comparison but still made me miserable.  I found the stick on heat pads great but the thing that sorted me in the end were muscle relaxants and 3 days of doing nothing at all, sitting on the sofa.

Hope you feel better soon :-*

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 20:28:58 »
Sam.  I went through hell with the same 3 years ago.  COLD when it starts as in injured but Heat after.   I had mine fixed by massage by a wonderful physio.  who treated me for a few weeks before I noticed a marked improvement.  The shoulder is one of the worst places to heal after an injury because of all the muscles, tendon that cross over the shoulder and up to the neck.  Do try and get to a physio soon.   I also used a TENS machine for a short spell and it helped me briefly get a nights sleep.  I think the lack of not sleeping was the worst situation.   Poor you,  all my sympathies. 

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 20:32:10 »
Forgot to mention an exercise I was given.  Bend over and drop the bad arm down and make small circles with your arm.   round and round and then change direction.  This helps to release the tightened muscles.   Maybe yours is now too injured to do this.  Do see that physio tomorrow.    :-*

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 20:55:12 »
Go back to the doctor tomorrow and make a fuss.  I was in so much pain when I had my bad shoulder, went to hospital for x-ray which I paid for, then to ostopath who wouldn't treat it as it was cronic.  Took cat to the vet and the vet was shocked at the state of me, as I was crying (not about the cat, he was OK) but the pain of carrying him, he helped me with the carrier and told me to go straight back to the doctor, which I did and saw a lovely doctor (not my doctor) and got an injection.  He had to make sure it hit the right spot, he was so kind even run over to the chemist to get the stuff immediately as it was before Christmas. Next day I was cured.  I couldn't sleep, and my daughter had to dress me, it was horrible.  Could only eat with one hand.  Mine was caused through playing tennis when I should have stopped immediately my shoulder started hurting but I carried on.  Now we can have a joke about it and say if you are ill go to the vet. but it wasn't funny at the time.  You really must go back to the doctor and tell him the pain is really, really bad.

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 23:37:27 »
I really suffered with shoulder pain earlier in the year - I couldn't lift my elbow higher than mid chest level, and putting my bra on was impossible.  GP gave me muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories which were great while I was taking them, but as soon as I stopped, the pain came back double time. ::)

I went to see a chiropractor who shares an office with a masseuse.  And between these two lovely ladies, within about a month I felt significantly better.

Hope you feel better soon - but I would strongly recommend the chiropractor.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 00:02:36 »
Thank you very, very much for all of the replies.  I feel encouraged by what I've read, I genuinely do.  

So would a chiropractor be better than a physiotherapist do you think and if so, can I just look through local listings and make myself an appointment or do I have to be referred? (sorry to appear so thick!)

Carol, I'm going to try that exercise when I get up in the morning and see how it goes!

I'll definitely try the cold treatment as I have one of those beany type bags that can be nuked or frozen. 

Edit:  Hmmmm, seems a common injury amongst us gardeners! ::) :-[
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 00:13:31 by SamLouise »

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 00:22:14 »
Might be worth getting the doc to check you have not pulled something might be worth a MRI scan i tore my rotator cuff brushing my hair doc said it was a frozen shoulder but i ended up needing surgery to have some of the bone removed.

If the doc can get you sorted soon pack a bag and go camp out at A&E :)

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 06:38:27 »
I had a frozen shoulder about 5 years ago and after much fuss was sent to the phsyo for radio therapy. After about4 visits it was ok. I did have to exercise with one of those stretchy ribbons.Its awful while it lasts. Hope you get it sorted soon.
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal