Author Topic: Yellow tomatoes  (Read 2002 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Yellow tomatoes
« on: September 25, 2011, 14:21:14 »
My sister has just taken on a small plot, yaaay.
Her daughter (12) would like to grow yellow tomatoes next year. There is no room for a greenhouse and the site is quite exposed, I was thinking she could put up a plastic protection but it would have to be quite short. Any reccommendations, please  :)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Yellow tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 14:26:52 »
Hey Manics. We get good results from Golden Sunrise. Can send you some saved seeds in a month or so.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 14:34:13 »
Thanks for the offer, Ollie, I have them. Are they suitable for the situation, I've only ever grown them in the warmth of a polytunnel and mine grow about 8 feet tall?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 14:37:57 »
Mine do well outside but it's darn sarf. They get to about 3 or 4 ft.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 15:11:25 »
I was wondering about cherry type, do they grow smaller and is there a decent tasting yellow one, by the way, hers in in the wirral, merseyside  :)

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 16:16:58 »

Compared to the red 'uns, I think the yeller uns are quite tasteless.  I shan't be wasting space on them again.   :o   Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 16:36:15 »
Type of fruit..like cherry..don't have any indication for the size of the plant..I've got two different yellow cherries that are growing through greenhouse window at the moment..they are over 3 metres tall and propably would grow further, but I've reduced watering to bare minimum for now..its coming to end of year and proper watering is not necessary anymore.
As for taste..yes..there is decent tasting yellows as well as not so nice...just like with any other colour tomatoes.
You just have to pick best that suit your tastebuds and space.
Galina is yellow cherry..with 'gardeners delight'-type flavour..can be grown outdoors..it is cordon..but nothing stop you growing it as bush by letting some side shoots to develop and stopping the height. It may not be the most prolific way growing but you should still get decent amount of fruit.
I grew Fargo in cold GH last summer..it is bush type and did produce nice flavoured yellow cherries by the 'ton'. Haven't tried it outdoors without any shelter though.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 16:37:26 »
Depends on the variety - Yellow Perfection are totally gorgeous.

I would recommend also Millefleur Yellows; cherry size and loads and loads of fruits. Also are a bush so can be left to ramble.

Galina are great; and Banana Legs are also superb.

davejg

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 16:54:51 »
Yellow pear are quite short & bushy, grew them outside last year, if you want half a dozen seed let me know. theyare small fruited with a bit of taste.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 17:51:13 »
I bought some Yellow Perfection at sale, really pleased with them.  Grew well outside. Good flavour.

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 17:54:05 »
Last year I grew galina and yellow pear.  I didn't find yellow pear to be short at all, it grew to about 6ft and had loads of lightbulb/pear shape toms on it.  Galina is a cherry and the taste is lush.  Very sweet and juicy, pops in your mouth yum.
Julie  :)

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 18:24:04 »
And not forgetting Sungold F1s of course. :D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 19:39:35 »
You can have some Yellow Currant if you want... start them off in the warmth but then they just grow and grow...  :-X

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 20:49:32 »
The currant sound interesting, plus the galina, if anyone is saving seed, I would like to swap for some  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 20:52:06 »
Be warned it's a weed... we haven't sown any for a decade... but I have some ripe fruit if you want me to save you some..  :-X

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 21:19:51 »
I’ve got some spare Galina which I can send, also I pretty sure there is some in the swap too  ;D

Perhaps not quite what you are thinking of but I found this really delish, a white ripening yellow. http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Dwarf_Mr._Snow
plants have done pretty well in a sheltered spot.   

I also found Aranyalma (HSL) excellent, very impressed and will be growing several next year. Grown in isolation in a polytunnel, but would think it would do well outside, fruit is about golf ball size sweet and unusually for a yellow full of flavour  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 22:08:05 »
Thanks, Jayb..I'll wait and see what's in the swaps then, she definitely wants yellow, she's fallen for my golden sunrise but the fence between plots is only 4' tall so the structure can't be very big  :)

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 22:12:22 »
Have to agree with the "tasteless" opinion as only last night Jude and I had some salad with a few Golden Sunrise
quartered and compared to our cherry and Gardeners Delight they are bland by comparison,and yes,we shant grow em again next season.

But,each to their own  !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 22:17:33 »
Dwarf Mr Snow would kinda fit that bill, I grew mine in pots, so might be a bit bigger in the ground. Although they are called Dwarf its not ity-bity more 3-4' in height, lots of leaves and a fair crop of v tasty toms.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 22:25:43 »
I enjoy Yellow Pear and find them sweet. Is Galina sweeter?
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal