Author Topic: grape vine  (Read 2179 times)

claybasket

• Hectare
grape vine
« on: September 23, 2011, 08:34:03 »
I need help ,we bought or first grape vine this year ,its on a south facing wall ,we put it in a pot a very large one.Its put on lots of growth and is healthy,but what should I do with it for winter,should I cover in bubble wrap? or make a polystyrene box around it,Aim I worrying about nothing !

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: grape vine
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 08:48:57 »
 Generally I think you are 'worrying about nothing'.. ;) Grapes are tough 'old' plants.
Hopefully you purchases plant that is for outdoor cropping..if its not and its GH variety..it will still grow but is not able to produce reliable crop unless we get very unusually long and warm autumn.. ::)

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:12:31 »
Hi Goodlife,I don't know if its ment to be gh type I never thought about it!I just made the mistake of asuming!well Ill have a look at the label,we live in Essex just took it that it was outdoor type ,do you think the pot will freeze in winter?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:24:49 »
 ;D Well..I've got one grape in a 'smallish' pot that I forgot outdoors last autumn.. ::) It stood outside against the house wall all winter in that horrid weather..was covered halfway up the stem with snow and ice that falled from roof and what my OH chucked when clearing the path..and yes..it survived and has been fine this summer.
Mine is in bit bigger pot now..but it is going to have another winter in pot..untill I've got a spot in ground sorted for it.. ;)
They are hardy plants..it the fruiting that is going to suffer if not in ideal place.
Bit of label reading is good.. ;) ;D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 13:12:01 »
In Alsace the weather in winter is bitter cold, snow etc and no one covers the grape vines  :) They like it in fact.
You will need to prune it in mid winter when the stems are hard. Keep them! they make lovely barbecue starters in the summer, nicely perfumed smoke!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal